Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

The Tablet Mac was real?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Tablet Mac was real?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-03-30, 17:54

So, someone on the MacRumors forums used to work for Apple, and apparently has a bunch of really cool stuff, including a clear SE, LC, Duo, and Duo Dock. The coolest thing, however, is the Protoype Tablet Mac that apparently fits in a Duo Dock!!!!! Usually, I'd think of this as a joke, but there are (pretty good) pictures up. Here are some of them:

.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-03-30, 17:58

hrm... Dunno if the last is real... The writing on the little appendage sticking out there looks like it was photoshopped, but that's just me.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-30, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack
hrm... Dunno if the last is real... The writing on the little appendage sticking out there looks like it was photoshopped, but that's just me.
Fits the materials and typeface of the Duo era machines.
Misalignment is probably a sticker on the battery rather than a PS job...

Looks like any model identifier was burned off with acid or is covered in the white crap/sticker residue.

The clear Duo is cool. I remember seeing some clear 170's? waaay back in the day. Though the plastic wasn't as transparent, and IIRC, that machine had lego coloured legs and other parts and wasn't entirely clear.

As for the Tablet Mac being real... you mean aside from the Newton and/or eMate?
Certainly there would be mules or concept prototypes of such a thing. It is a bit odd to see them in public.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-03-30, 18:41

As I said, it might've just been me
admactanium

2005-04-01, 02:20

i think that's the original newton. i worked with a journalistic photographer once who did a photo book on the development of the newton. this was a few years back when all the tablet rumors were running wild. he mentioned that the original planned form factor for the newton was a tablet, but that the material costs were too high to make it that large.
rasmits
rams it

2005-04-01, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium
i think that's the original newton. i worked with a journalistic photographer once who did a photo book on the development of the newton. this was a few years back when all the tablet rumors were running wild. he mentioned that the original planned form factor for the newton was a tablet, but that the material costs were too high to make it that large.
I'd agree, but that's completely different from a Newton. It runs OS 7, it looks and feels like a Duo, and the pens worked like tablets today where they aren't touch screen but electro-magentic or something. It seems like a completely seperate line, but you could be right.

edit: I said 'look and feel of a Duo' and it is, in fact, a Duo.