AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

5.1 Speaker System Advice

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
5.1 Speaker System Advice
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-05, 14:28

I'm looking to purchase a decent 5.1 system for my iMac G5 to go in my studio apartment. I have been eyeing the Logitech Z-5500s since they replaced the Z-680s. They get glowing reviews but are pretty expensive. While searching for used ones I overlooked a one day sale Dell was having that had them for 215.99 with free shipping. So that pissed me off and I began exploring other options. So far I've come up with two....

The Yamaha YTH-150 and the Kenwood HTB-S310. These are both "home theaters in-a-box". So, they each have a receiver, 5 speakers and a sub. I can get either for around $240 and hopefully a little less. Right now out of the 3 choices, the kenwood HTB-S310 would be the cheapest. It also seems to be the most feature rich.

The one thing holding me back is the fact that there really are no reviews for either of the HT in a box systems where as there are tons of reviews for the logitech i guess because they are a popular gaming peripheral.

Anyone have any advice/recommendations or even experience with these home theater in a box systems?

I'd like to not spend more than 250 and preferably be closer to 200.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-07-05, 14:53

Kenwood has good stuff. I have the Z-680s and love them. A friend of mine has the Z-5500s and he thinks the are great too (big surprise).

If money is an issue though, I would suggest trying to find the Z-680s for a good price. From what I can tell there isnt a whole lot of differences between them and the Z-5500s. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but the only things I noticed was a bigger sub and other small cosmetic differences.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-05, 16:38

Computer surround systems suck in general, but the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 surround speakers are the best system I've seen in terms of power and performance. I did some quick looking and saw them for as low as $300. Believe me, they'll blow anything else you're looking at out of the water. I'd spend the extra dough if you can.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-05, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
Computer surround systems suck in general, but the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 surround speakers are the best system I've seen in terms of power and performance. I did some quick looking and saw them for as low as $300. Believe me, they'll blow anything else you're looking at out of the water. I'd spend the extra dough if you can.
most reviewers place the logitech z-5500s ahead of the promedia ultras in terms of sound quality and features and the z-5500s are much cheaper from various sources. they also lack digital audio inputs which makes them all but useless for 5.1 surround sound so you may as well purchase the klisph 2.1 system and also dont have as clean a connection as a result. they also dont come with a remote.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-07-05, 20:06

Ya Logitech makes a good system. I havent had any problems with mine and they make a pretty good home entertainment system when watching dvds.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-05, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
most reviewers place the logitech z-5500s ahead of the promedia ultras in terms of sound quality and features and the z-5500s are much cheaper from various sources. they also lack digital audio inputs which makes them all but useless for 5.1 surround sound so you may as well purchase the klisph 2.1 system and also dont have as clean a connection as a result. they also dont come with a remote.
Yeah, the lack of digital inputs sucks (forgot about that), but they still sound better than the Logitech's to me. Not that it matters since you need the digital inputs.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-08, 03:29

Well. After much debating back and forth I think I'm going to go with the Logitech Z-5500 system. The Kenwood SBHT-310 was very tempting and still sounds quite nice but in the end they are unproven as I havent been able to test them and have not found one review. They would have also cost me 45 dollars more. So I'm going to pick up the Z-5500 tomorrow for 199.99

I'll let you know how it goes. I get queezy when I spend large amounts of money.
Kestrel

2005-07-08, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
I get queezy when I spend large amounts of money.
Me too! I hope you'll feel good about your purchase, though.

It doesn't seem to affect you, but do not by any means buy any product made by Midiland. I made the mistake of buying one of their S4 Midiland 8200 v2.0 systems a few years ago and really regret it. Not only do their products have some glaring design problems, but their customer service is really antagonistic. I've had to get something fixed twice now, and both times it's been a serious PitA trying to establish that I was still under warranty.

The next time I need audio equipment, I'm just going to start building a home theater. A good receiver doesn't have to cost ridiculous amounts of money, and I'd rather have that than the half-baked control system that computer speakers come with.

Last edited by Kestrel : 2005-07-08 at 09:18.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-10, 16:16

bah.... so Friday I drive down to Stanford. My brother is there so I figure I would kill some time there till the guy was suppose to call me at 6PM to pick up the speakers. He's located in Mountain view. So, all seems well....6PM comes, no call....no call for the rest of the night and now he hasnt responded to any emails. I sent an email as someone else interested in the speakers and didnt get a response to that either. So either he's a screwball or he died or something.

Either way, no speakers for me and I'm in speaker withdrawel.

Maybe I'll just go for the Kenwood Home Theater system now. Although I could get the Logitech Z-680s for 150 new. Those are the previous generation of Z-5500s. I'm a little hesitant since many people have had hissing problems with those.