User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Questions from New iMacG5 rev B user!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Questions from New iMacG5 rev B user!
buckley64

2005-07-26, 16:03

Hi folks, just wanted to say Hi and welcome myself to the Mac world!

I have finally taken the plunge and have gone and bought myself an iMac G5 20” 2Ghz (Rev B) - despite reading all these nightmare-ish posts from people telling me that they always breakdown with these capacitors, and overheating stories etc but on reading it sounds like this was a first generation problem (I hope). I guess when you read these posts who have problems, there are hundreds and thousands who don't...

To let those who, like me were worried, this Rev B iMac G5 is as quiet as a mouse, I put an extra 512MB in straight away before turning it on for the first time - and even several days later there is hardly any heat coming out of the back and the screen is fine too – all in all I am very impressed with it!

Anyway, a few questions…

Firstly, how long does it usually take to master OSX comfortably from someone who has years of using a PC - has anyone else found it somewhat confusing to start off with? – I do know networking, but I am still having trouble looking at my PC’s HDD from the iMac, I know it should be easy to use but from a PC background where I use 2 PC’s + 1 Server at home and look after hundreds at work, I got fed up of constantly configuring them - it did my head in. The iMac is such a refreshing change! (on the whole!) – I have been using it for a couple of days but find myself keep using windows shortcuts that don’t work on here! (Force of habit!)

Secondly – how to you guys handle using one mouse button! (don’t laugh – I really am trying here!) I bought the wireless ones and have resorted (for now) to use my USB Microsoft one! For example there are secondary menus in OSX such as right clicking on a miss-spelt word comes up with corrections in word etc with a 2 button mouse but with the standard one button mouse, you don’t get it and that is what apple supply with the machine (am I missing something?)

The keys |\`@ have moved! – and can someone please tell me where the hash key is!

Please bear with me on this – I am trying and please don’t think of me as just another “thick Microsoft user” – after all – I now have a lovely Apple on my desk!

(Oh and another thing – where are the HOME and END keys?)

Anyway, if someone could give us a few tips! That would be great…

On and secondly, I was a big user of Nero – what is the equivalent on here?

I also need to justify why I have spend all this money when I have all these PC’s that kinda do the same – can someone give us a hand on this one too?!!

Cheers and thanks in advance!!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-07-26, 23:46

Congrats on the new Mac. I haven't put any more RAM in mine yet and it seems just dandy to me. The only time my iMac really makes noise is when there is some heavy encoding going on, otherwise it nice and quiet.

I've used Macs my entire life and do not like the one button mouse. If you don't like, screw it. Just use your old two-button dealy.

The equivalant of Nero in Macland is Roxio Toast. It's a wonderful little program and well worth the hundred dollar price tag.

Home and End keys are under the F15 key, but they don't behave the same way as windows.

You might also want to check out this thread: http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=6696

It's all about the glorious rev.B iMac.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-07-27, 00:48

Hash key for UK keyboard is alt(option)-3.
sparky0106

2005-07-27, 10:01

Seeing as no one actually answered you're right-click question, i might as well... The right click equivalent for OS X is holding down the Ctrl key and clicking. So there, now you can happily correct your misspelled words using the Apple mouse!

I hope that helped!
buckley64

2005-07-27, 11:48

WOW! - I am impressed easy! - I can now use this cool looking white thing I spent an extra £40 on! - Cheers for that! - its just the little things that make the big things easier to use!
buckley64

2005-07-27, 11:49

... yes - i know... it doesn't take much!