User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How OS X Copies/Moves files?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How OS X Copies/Moves files?
james_p

2005-09-20, 18:39

As someone who has recently made the switch to Apple. I've noticed that the speed in which files are copied or moved from one drive to another, lets say for example I am copying about 200MB of data from my laptops hard drive to an external USB 2.0 drive. This process takes slightly longer on my MAC then it does on my Windows XP machine.

Now, my theory (and I am attempting to learn here) is that the way OS X keeps files organized as they are being written to a drive is done so as to optimize their location for future reference?

Whereas my Windows machine just throws data anywhere it pleases, thus you have to defrag a drive very often.

Does that sound about right? Just trying to see if my observations are close to being correct?
Thanks

James
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-20, 18:42

Somewhat.

It's true that the filesystem on MacOS X (HFS+) does do some defragging on the fly. Files under 20MB, when they're written, get put in a new contiguous block if at all possible. (If it's not possible, you've got problems already.)

A straight copy though, to a fresh drive, *should* be fairly contiguous to begin with, but if it's a drive that's already got stuff on it, then yes, your guess is probably correct.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-09-20, 20:37

In general, OS X is slower transferring files using USB 2.0 than WinXP. I have no idea why. I believe Ars Technica did a piece on this a while ago.

The future is tomorrow!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-20, 20:44

Now that autocorrect is off, the burden is on us asses. It's Mac, not MAC.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-21, 01:11

On a related note. I've noticed that it sometimes takes a very long time to copy an application (package containing maybe several thousands of seperate files) from say a mounted .dmg to my preferred location on my HD. I have had this take more than 5 minutes with something like a 20 MB app (!).
They only thing I can think of is that spotlight is indexing all of the contents. So maybe in your case the spotlight indexing is also one of the culprits.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
james_p

2005-09-21, 08:02

Yep, I think a combination of Spotlight (in some instances) with maybe some additional File System work going on behind the scenes would account for the delay at times.

Thanks for the feedback all.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-09-21, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
On a related note. I've noticed that it sometimes takes a very long time to copy an application (package containing maybe several thousands of seperate files) from say a mounted .dmg to my preferred location on my HD. I have had this take more than 5 minutes with something like a 20 MB app (!).
There's an overhead associated with creating files. Writing 200 1MB files takes longer than 1 200MB file. I have no idea what the overhead is though, so I can't say of the "several thousands of separate files" is why it took so long.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-21, 14:53

I know, maybe it was more like one thousand seperate filesystem entries (which hints to an answer by itsself)
Still, the overhead seems to have gotten a lot larger since 10.4. Something I've typically come to associate with Spotlight.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/