User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2021
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-30, 16:21

Well, WWDC 2021 is officially a thing!

Mac OS somethingsomethingsomething … somethingsomething Will it be 11.1 or 12?
iOS 15
iPadOS 15
tvOS 15
watchOS 8

iMacs?

M1X?

Lost-my-things find-y-things?

Doesn't seem to be anything else happening.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-03-30, 18:43

I just want to see the high-end 13" and 16" ARM models already. I'm sitting here with my credit card.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-30, 18:51

I know, right? I'm waiting on the ARM 21" or 24" iMac, or whatever Apple is working on.
¡Damned!

2021-03-30, 19:02

New iPad mini plz, and I may bite if they put a new AppleTV out there too. Though, I expect at least the mini to be announced before WWDC. I'll give the M-Stuff another year before I hop on... too much legacy software over here.

So it goes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-03-31, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Mac OS somethingsomethingsomething … somethingsomething Will it be 11.1 or 12?
It could still be 11.5, I guess. But probably 12. (We’re already at 11.3.)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-03-31, 07:46

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they go to 12 this year.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-31, 08:06

New AppleTV with Thread enabled connectivity and 8K would be nice, not that I have an 8K TV to get the benefit out of it. Thread enabled though, that would be amazing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-31, 11:45

Code:
WHERE MAH MACK BHOOK PROW???
All caps, bitches.
/haXX0r
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-31, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
New AppleTV with Thread enabled connectivity and 8K would be nice, not that I have an 8K TV to get the benefit out of it. Thread enabled though, that would be amazing.
I don't suspect Apple is going to chase 8K any time in the near future. What content is even available for it? What does that do to internet streaming requirements? I mean, isn't that quadruple the data? Or more?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-31, 13:39

I agree that they likely won't. However given I host my own media for my house it would be something I could benefit from. Until Apple sells 8K content they certainly won't make a box for it.

Thread though, that would be great given the push for AppleTV to be a hub and Apple's move to getting Thread adoption.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-31, 13:41

That's something I would like to see: The home hub. Apple is in the best possible position, but it's clear from their services push that they have no interest in making this happen. Home hubs don't sell subscriptions. And as far as I'm concerned, Apple still doesn't offer anything worth subscribing to.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-31, 13:48

Well, arguably the HomePod mini and the AppleTV are home hubs. The mini you can talk to and the TV you can watch. If the AppleTV supports Thread then those who don't want a mic in their home can have Thread too. It would drive more to HomeKit which I'm assuming Apple gets some money to have the logo on the product box. On top of that, AppleTVs drive subscriptions through their App Store and own services. It makes sense for the user and Apple.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-31, 14:08

What they need is a combo AppleTV/Time Capsule with a built-in iTunes server and subscription connection. A does-it-all media box that gives you the options of subscription, home media, or both. Sync your photo library, movie library, and music library. Tell it to play something. Be your Wi-Fi router, your TM backup, and your media server.

Boom!

Sell a bazillion.

But, they're not going to do that, and especially not at WWDC. It will be all about software and new iMacs. I think laptops are in the fall.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-31, 14:17

Sounds like a Windows Home Server that failed. People are to intimidated by something like that. I do believe if any company can pull it off, Apple could. I don't expect that they will though. Hosting our own media in our house would cannibalise their services push.

I would like something like that for my mom though! She's an apple user across the board so it would make her life (mine really since I'm the tech support) easier.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-03-31, 16:05

It's a bit of a bummer products like Windows Home Server failed, but I don't think Apple is interested either. It's just too hard to make local (not centrally-controlled) networking work reliably across tons of different configurations with low support overhead. That's (one reason) why clouds are so popular.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-03-31, 23:42

It would be nice if Apple at least put some effort into improving the traditional file sharing for Macs. Airdrop is fine for simple file transfers, but for other stuff not helpful. I was going to turn my old Mini into a file server, but if I did I think I'd switch the OS to some Linux variant.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-01, 01:05

I'm running Apple machines spread over more than 5 or 6 years and often run into compatibility issues for these features. Sometimes they refuse to connect and just when I've given up, they work flawlessly. It's baffling, when you don't have time to teach yourself the esoteric details about the technology. I have the capacity to operate any of this tech, possibly better than some off you that know how already. However, the reason that I use Macs is because I just want to MAKE stuff and am therefore grudging with the time it takes to cobble together other solutions. Still, a Linux flavored file server could sure be a great solution.

chucker

2021-04-01, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It would be nice if Apple at least put some effort into improving the traditional file sharing for Macs. Airdrop is fine for simple file transfers, but for other stuff not helpful. I was going to turn my old Mini into a file server, but if I did I think I'd switch the OS to some Linux variant.
Yeah, it's the one thing that has been consistently unreliable for me ever since I started using Mac OS X (10.1.4?). Over time, it got better? Maybe? Or its failure modes changed?

But there's still so much brokenness about it. Sometimes, computers don't show up in the sidebar. Sometimes, computers do, but their shares don't. Sometimes they only don't in Finder, but do in Open dialogs (huh?). Sometimes, I simultaneously have the contents of a share open in Finder while Finder simultaneously claims it can't see that share, so I can get there if I know the path, but I can't browse to there). Sometimes, things just beachball in perpetuity.

For most of those cases, failing all else, I can hit `sudo killall netbiosd NetAuthSysAgent Finder UmountAssistantAgent networkserviceproxy DiskUnmountWatcher diskarbitrationd` and there's probably an Apple engineer dying in agony seeing that line, but at least Finder is well-behaved again for a minute.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-01, 10:47

I think everyone has these issues, OSX is just terrible at file sharing. When it works it’s great, but then it doesn’t. Even if you make an IP connection, rather than the easy selection, it still doesn’t see other computers sometimes. Mixed OS, same OS never seems to matter. If you try to connect from the older machine, good luck. Funnily enough I never have trouble connecting to networked Windows machines. Seriously Apple? I cannot count how many times it won’t un-mount a network drive, preventing sleep/shutdown. It’s been a long time, but IIRC file sharing was more reliable in Mac Classic OSs’, kind of sad really. Even when we are using Apple routers it still happens, and you’d think that would be one of the kinks in the chain.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-04-01 at 10:59.
chucker

2021-04-01, 11:03

Quote:
It’s been a long time, but IIRC file sharing was more reliable in Mac Classic OSs’, kind of sad really.
Maybe with AFP, but classic Mac OS didn't have SMB built in at all. I vaguely recall using "DAVE" then (but I don't quite recall why).

Quote:
Even when we are using Apple routers it still happens, and you’d think that would be one of the kinks in the chain.
Yeah, I don't think it has that much to do with the other devices. My guess is much of it is related to how mounting works on Unix-style OSes. Whereas Windows has a notion of ad-hoc access to files on a remote system (though that isn't flawless either; it caches credentials and if you ever get those wrong, they're non-trivial to reset without logging out), macOS seems to (mostly) rely on explicitly mounting shares into the file system, which processes then lock onto.

So, the following kind of scenario seems to break for me:
  1. I have a file server Foo
  2. Time Machine is backing up to it
  3. in the meantime, I want to access a file on it in Finder
  4. however, the network got flaky at some point, so macOS isn't actually connected to the server any more

Because Time Machine backing up created a lock, macOS couldn't in the meantime kill that connection and create a new one. And because of that, Finder can never get a new connection. And it (often) isn't enough to stop the backup in Time Machine either, because it wants to do so cleanly, which it actually cannot because the connection is no longer there (but it thinks it is). Add to that, of course, that I didn't actually ask Time Machine to do back up in the first place; it did so automatically in the background.

I don't even understand how regular users are supposed to even begin to figure that out (other than rebooting, which… probably eventually works, after a long timeout expires).

I don't know how it worked in Classic Mac OS, though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-01, 12:50

I wonder if building a macOS server would be worth it for file sharing? I'm guessing it won't make much difference but I don't know what magic that server "upgrade" does with the file system. I'm guessing it is minimal and just changes the number of max onncetions and such.

Is the Server upgrade free? I've had it for so long I don't know now. I do know that I currently don't have any machines (VMs or otherwise) running the Server App.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
For most of those cases, failing all else, I can hit `sudo killall netbiosd NetAuthSysAgent Finder UmountAssistantAgent networkserviceproxy DiskUnmountWatcher diskarbitrationd` and there's probably an Apple engineer dying in agony seeing that line, but at least Finder is well-behaved again for a minute.
BTW, I literally laughed out loud on that one!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-01, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Maybe with AFP, but classic Mac OS didn't have SMB built in at all. I vaguely recall using "DAVE" then (but I don't quite recall why).
Not sure, we likely used APF, I didn’t know much about networking back then. I just recall it being better than running back and forth with floppy disks.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-01, 13:14

Quote:
I wonder if building a macOS server would be worth it for file sharing? I'm guessing it won't make much difference but I don't know what magic that server "upgrade" does with the file system. I'm guessing it is minimal and just changes the number of max onncetions and such.
The server software is more for having business computers. If that’s what you need great. Not sure how it would work as a standard file server.

Looks like Xsan is the file sharing part of the app. Hard to say if it’s better or worse than file sharing already built into Mac OS though. It’s really designed for a large multi-RAID setup, not for a home server.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-04-01 at 13:36.
chucker

2021-04-01, 15:18

Quote:
I wonder if building a macOS server would be worth it for file sharing? I'm guessing it won't make much difference but I don't know what magic that server "upgrade" does with the file system.
None. The Server app just bundles a bunch of services.

Back when Server was a separate SKU, there was more to it.

Quote:
I'm guessing it is minimal and just changes the number of max onncetions and such.
I think Mac OS X Server had a limitation that, for $499, you could only do 10 user accounts, and for $999, unlimited, but I'm not sure. In any case, that's long gone.

OTOH, today's Server app does a lot less in total than its predecessor (but does do a few new things, such as MDM).

Quote:
Is the Server upgrade free? I've had it for so long I don't know now. I do know that I currently don't have any machines (VMs or otherwise) running the Server App.
It's $20, which for its feature set is IMO pretty good. If you want a simple file server, MDM, etc. for your home or small business (or, say, classroom), it's virtually nothing. (For instance, Jamf Now starts at $2/mo/device. Hard to keep that under $20.)

For a brief period, it was free for developers (they got a gift code), but it seems they got rid of that. Oh well.

Quote:
BTW, I literally laughed out loud on that one!
Oh, I'm serious!

(I used to have something like that aliased to 'gfdi', but I think it wasn't this one in particular.)
chucker

2021-04-01, 15:21

Quote:
Not sure, we likely used APF, I didn’t know much about networking back then. I just recall it being better than running back and forth with floppy disks.
Zip forever!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-06, 13:25

I was just looking over an article about an Apple App that was just released: Find My Certification Asst

So the look of this is Apple isn't making a tracker thing but rather an API for manufacturers to make their own MFi. This is pretty amazing really. Manufactures can build it into their thing and Apple can get the "MFi" fees. Apple doesn't have to make a specific product either.

I mean, if Apple makes their own "tile" it would be cool too... but this opens things way up.