User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Free software to compress DVDs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Free software to compress DVDs?
designerguy

2006-02-22, 22:09

I know DVD2One is out there...but is there a freeware or shareware out there that can do what DVD2ONE does?

Thanks
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-02-22, 22:26

Handbrake is legendary.

FFMPEGX is you feel adventurous.

MissingMpegTools has a simple push button interface, but some features are disabled until you register.

MPEG Streamclip can export to all sorts of CODEC's you have installed and has some nice scaling options.

I'll also add iSquint. (A new addition) Though it was originally designed for iPod video, it would probably do what you want.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-02-23 at 00:21.
designerguy

2006-02-22, 22:37

Thanks! Though i'm looking to just compress the DVD to a 4.7 sized disc not to and AVI or MPG. That takes way too long.

I did a search and seems like everyone pushes the DVD2ONE or Popcorn for this purpose. Do you think that's the way to go?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-22, 22:38

Handbrake can't output to DVD. It only outputs to MPEG-4, so it's great for making DVDs into movie files, but it's useless for making actual DVDs.

If you want that, you'll need to use ffmpegX or forty-two. I haven't really used either of those extensively, and not recently either, but they do have decent documentation.

DVD2oneX is very easy to use, but it's HELLA expensive. I also feel silly paying $50+ for compression software when A) you can get better software for Windows for free, and B) you can get software that accomplishes the same thing in an admittedly less user-friendly way for free for Mac. Just invest a little extra time to figure out just how to get ffmpegX or forty-two working. They have more features anyway, they're just not as simple.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-22, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
<snip>
There is nothing silly about paying for DVD2One. It was the first real solution for DVD compression on mac at a decent speed. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I wear an eye patch all the time, but DVD2One is something that is worth investing in to show support to the developers.

I am still not sure if anything is as quick or user friendly as DVD2One. It is the standard on both the PC and Mac side.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-22, 23:10

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Free, and it does EVERYTHING - removing encryption, compressing, and burning. With DVD2oneX you still have to remove the encryption somehow, and then you have to get a program to burn it to a DVD. Too bad DVD Shrink is Windows-only.

I didn't say it is silly to pay for DVD2oneX, I'm saying I personally feel silly paying that much for software that accomplishes the same thing that a lot of free software can do. I'd rather just learn the free stuff. Of course, that's what Linux is for, right?

I also would be willing to buy DVD2oneX if it were, say, $20. It's €40, which translates to $47.50. It might be worth it to some people, but the cost is pretty prohibitive for me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-22, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Free, and it does EVERYTHING - removing encryption, compressing, and burning. (etc)
Sounds great.

Where is the Mac OS X version?

(yes, I read your whole post)
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-02-23, 00:32

Oh, well if you want to compress but keep the DVD format...

MovieGate
D-Vision 3
FFMPEGX
D-Volution 2 (requires 10.4)
DVDRemaster ($)

... can do it.
designerguy

2006-02-23, 22:22

thanks for the suggestions!

I'll check them all out and see what works for me.