AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Sheetfed scanner suggestions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sheetfed scanner suggestions?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-24, 10:23

My dad is looking to buy one to do two things. The most important is to be able to stack papers on a scanner and scan them in with at least 25 - 50 at a time.

The second nice part would be to have OCR software convert the image to a searchable text file.

I'm looking around, but having a hard time finding sheetfed scanners that run under OSX.

Anyone using one, or come across good reviews for them, or have one they'd recommend?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-26, 12:14

After using a Xerox network copier at work (in addition to copies, they scan to PDF, TIFF, and run OCR for you), I started looking into a sheetfeed scanner for home use. So far, the only ones I have found were in multifunction devices. I remember looking into Brother and HP MFDs, but I'm sure there are other devices.

Let us know if you or your dad find an OS X compatible sheetfeed scanner.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-26, 12:17

I have an HP OfficeJet D135, an AIO Print, scan, copy, fax, and it has sheetfed scanning and OCR. It's probably not what he's looking for, but it's not all that much money anymore, and if he needs a new printer this might serve him well.

If not, just check out HP's offerings, their products seem to be frequently OS X compatible with little trouble.

Come waste your time with me
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-26, 15:48

i think i'll stop by an Apple store either today or tomorrow, see what they recommend. he's looking to scan in hundreds of legal documents, so it needs to be a robust solution. i haven't found anything that really meets those needs for sure yet, but i'm sure there's something out there.

one problem i've had is that some things are listed by users as OSX compatitble, but they aren't listed that way by the manf. i'm not exactly enthused to purchase an item that may or may not continue support down the line.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me