AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

A great article about a great band.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A great article about a great band.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-06, 13:02

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20050304/AE/103040002

In the Aspen Times, as the band is playing soon in Aspen, and have promised to dedicate their show there to Hunter S. Thompson.

For those of you not paying attention to some of my previous posts, or new around here, the band is The Radiators, of course. The article is written by someone who's been a fan as long as I have (since the early 1980's).

There are articles written fairly regularly about The Radiators, but this one is simply the best one I've ever seen, with lots of insight and info and a good interview with the lead guitarist, Dave Malone.

Quote:
After 27 years, the band is no nostalgia act that relies solely on old songs and aged fans. One accomplishment is the mere fact of survival. Malone can point to just two bands - ZZ Top and Los Lobos - who have lasted as long, uninterrupted, with essentially the same personnel. Another is that Malone believes the Rads are better than they've ever been, and still plowing new ground.
That's no BS, folks - I can think of other bands that I've been a fan of for more than 25 years, but they have all hit their plateau years ago and are just going through the motions now, if in fact they are even still touring. The Rads, OTOH, just keep getting better and better, every time I see them.

They're the World's Greatest Live Rock n Roll Band, and you can still see them play in a bar with a crowd of hundreds, instead of thousands. In fact, you could see them four nights in a row and they would not repeat a single song - not even the Grateful Dead in their prime could do that.

Don't miss the opportunity to see them if you get one!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-07, 12:12

mmm, another article, that ties in the Radiators and Hunter S. Thompson...

Quote:
Hunter Thompson's Family Memorializes Gonzo Writer

Hollywood Celebrities Also Attend

POSTED: 7:41 am MST March 6, 2005

ASPEN, Colo. -- The luxurious Hotel Jerome and residents of this mountain resort town fulfilled the wish of Hunter S. Thompson's family to keep a private party memorializing the gonzo journalist Saturday night private.

Outside, a careful passerby might have noticed Johnny Depp, who portrayed Thompson in a film adaptation of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," and John Cusack slipping into the hotel along with guests with printed invitations. Inside, the hotel's ballroom was decorated with a giant American flag and an almost life-size black and white photo cutout of Thompson standing in front of it.

"I think that's why he lived here. He didn't get tons of public exposure. People had to come find him," Aspen resident Anna Bugge said of Thompson, who shot himself at his nearby home in Woody Creek on Feb. 20. She said she hadn't heard of the party.

Outside the ballroom, with tables decorated in red and black, were dozens of photographs of Thompson. A sign outside the doorway said "Thompson for Sheriff," a reference to Thompson's almost-successful 1970 bid (Thompson reportedly ran his campaign from the hotel's J Bar). Colored banners with the word "gonzo" forming the handle of a sword topped with a fist hung from the walls. A TV was playing the film "Breakfast with Hunter."

A few blocks away at the Belly Up, where Thompson's family originally intended to have the private party, the Radiators dedicated their show Saturday night to Thompson.

"I was in the generation that read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,'" bassist Reggie Scanlan said. "Nobody had read any kind of journalism like that before," Scanlan said.

He said he was disappointed the party was moved.

"I would say, if it's going to be crazy, let's go for it," he said. "It'd be in the spirit of Hunter Thompson. His memory would be served to have it as chaotic and out of control as possible," he joked.

Back at Hotel Jerome, Peter Glover of Minneapolis said he had read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" in high school. He took the book with him on his first trip to Las Vegas in college.

"We flipped to a page and put our finger down and tried to do whatever drugs Hunger was doing," said Glover, 38. He was in town to hear the Radiators.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-03-07, 12:26

So the family moved the party because they didn't want it at the same place as the Radiators or the Radiators made the family move so they could do their show?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-07, 13:04

Quote:
the Radiators made the family move so they could do their show?
The band has no say in how the bar books its schedule, so certainly not. The band has no control whatsoever over "making the family move" and I'm quite certain they would have been very pleased to mix the two events, if such a choice was theirs to make (in fact, Reggie says exactly that, in the quote above).

I believe the family decided a while ago to move it to a larger place, and soon thereafter, the bar booked the Radiators. Seems like the party needed more room for props, decoration, photographs and TV, etc.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-07, 18:33

Well, since so many people are so fascinated by this particular show
I figured I'd pass along the setlist that was posted to the Radiators listserv

Quote:
3/5/05, The Belly Up, Aspen, CO

All Along The Watchtower
Sittin' On Top Of The World
Devil's Dream
Lost Radio
Soul On Fire