Wii games....which do you have, which do you like etc

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wii games....which do you have, which do you like etc
Page 1 of 12 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-12-22, 10:57

ok, really 4 questions here (and no poll, so don't ask for one)

1) which games do you have currently have

2) which games do you have and really like/love

3) which games do you have that you wish you hadn't bought

4) which games are you planning to buy

g

my answers...

1) Zelda, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, Sports (a given in the states)...i also have monkey balls and madden but those are xmas presents so i haven't tried those yet

2) In my house we play Sports and Excite Truck almost everyday...i also love trauma center and zelda (my first zelda game so i am really slow and learning alot) but those games take more concentration and time, so i don't play them everyday...have to commit more time to them...sports and excite i can jump on for a quick game or two...sports and excite truck are also more group oriented, so we pull those out when company comes around...heck, sports may be the game of the year just for it's constant replay ability (please nintendo add a second golf course to download...or make a sports 2 with deeper levels of play and i will buy it)

3) i have loved all the games i own so far...i'm sure i'll get a stinker sooner or later...but i do research my buys first

4) games to buy: currently out that i will get--elebits and raving rabbits are the only ones out that i really want

future games:
wii play for two reasons...1. the games look simple, but like sports i see the replay and group play as being it's strong points, and 2. i have two wiimotes, but a third will come in handy

mario galaxy...never played a mario game...want to see what all the fuss is about

other than that, i'm not sure what else to look for...i'm not a fan of FPS so metroid holds no pull on me...not sure what the fuss is over that bash brawl game, but i might pick that up...don't know what animal crossing is, but that might be more my speed....and, since i'm loving sports, i might get a tiger woods game if one comes out. would love to play some wii golf with a more complex set up than the sports version...and i love the sports version, just want more depth and complexity

all in all, my first console since a atari 2600 and i love this wii thing...helps that everything looks so beautiful and big on my tv...now i'm just waiting on my stronger straps as i cringe in fear everytime my sister in law bowls and looks like she is going to kill my TV

g

ps...this wii thing for parties is great...my sister in law now wants a wii, so does my niece, so does my eldest daughters boyfriend...heck everybody loves coming over and playing mine...will see if it translates to sales or not...i do know i am a new sales for nintendo, and so would be my sister in law and my niece

pss...what are you a pro at? me, pro golfer and pro bowler...soon to be a pro at tennis

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-12-22, 11:27

1 - My list is kind of sad as I just got it two days ago so it's just Wii Sports. I did buy the Super Mario 64 for the Virtual Console.

2 - I love them both. Wii Sports is almost too much fun. Though I did wake up with sore shoulder from playing Tennis with a bit too much vigour. Mario 64 is perfect, even the irritating camera angles are still there. I've only collected about 8 stars because my memory of the game is failing me. I'm sure I'll do better when Super Mario World and Super Metroid are released.

3 - None

4 - Excite Truck, Madden, Rayman, and one of the FPS (either COD or Red Steel, I've heard Far Cry is rubbish.)
BenP

2006-12-22, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
ok, really 4 questions here (and no poll, so don't ask for one)

1) Zelda and Sports.

2) Zelda and Sports.

3)I rented Monkey Ball and it sucks ass. I don't have the patience to learn weird-ass controls like it has (different for all 40 minigames, and completely unintuitive).

4)Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, possibly the Metroid game. I'm hesitant on Madden because I don't see it playing well with the Wii controller. I would've rented that but the video store didn't have it in stock.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-12-22, 12:43

Can't play with my Wii until Christmas. ( my Wii, not my Wee)

I did purchase Excite Truck, and am planning on picking up Zelda, but I'm debating waiting until after I get some of the older Zelda games for my son's new Gameboy Advance and mastering those first. I've always thought of some of these games the same way I do a series of books. It seems better to start at the beginning and work my way through the whole series. That's probably a little stupid of me, but I'm afraid that if I play the newest one first, then the older ones will have no appeal, and that limits the pool of available game titles to pick up.

Looking forward to Christmas morning!!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
thegelding
feeling my oats

2006-12-22, 12:56

i don't think you have to have old zeldas to enjoy the latest one...but i do understand why it might make the old games look/seem bad...

i downloaded the orginal zelda on my VC and it seems very dated to me...you can still have fun with it, but it is a different play and a different era of games

i guess that could be question five

5) what games do you plan to get for VC

6) what games do you want to see on VC

7) what games should you avoid on VC

g

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-22, 14:09

Like almost everyone else: Zelda and Sports are both great.

I don't know what games I want since I haven't had a chance to look into it yet but I love Metroid so that'll probably be on my list.

I just bought Donkey Kong this morning just to try out the VC. It's a fun game worth the $5 it cost. I'm tempted to buy Donkey Kong Jr. too but I'll hold off. Maybe I'll wait until XMas day and pick up Super Mario for the rest of my 1000 points.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-12-22, 14:31

I've Wii Sports, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Red Steel. Wii Sports is still my favorite.
shatteringglass

2006-12-22, 16:05

1. Just Twilight Princess. I don't have much time to play, so that's fine for now.
2. Same as above.
3. None.
4. I am anxiously awaiting (an understatement) Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Play (which comes with an extra controller).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-22, 19:08

1. Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, and Elebits.

2. Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, and Elebits.

3. I'm glad I purchased them all. I like Elebits because I love weird games - it's very Katamari-esque. If that word doesn't mean anything to you, then it might not be worth a purchase. It does definitely feel like a "launch game." Still, if your itching for something...different, I'd say it's worth a rental.

4. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Wii Play. Super Mario Galaxy. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Dragon Quest Swords. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2. Brain Age Wii. And Line Rider.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-12-23, 00:23

Zelda:TP, WiiSports, Rayman, WiiPlay

Zelda:TP, WiiSports. I like Twilight Princess more than Ocarina of Time - it's a much more satisfying, "adult" game.

WiiPlay - it's only $5, but it manages to suck and blow simultaneously.

Excite Truck, Metroid 3, Mario Galaxy, possibly Call of Duty 3.

I'm not pro in anything...

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.

Last edited by Barto : 2006-12-23 at 00:39.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-12-27, 09:15

As far as the VC goes, I downloaded Street Fighter 2 for the glorious memories but as it turns out the game has aged very poorly. I'd say give that one a pass.

Anyone know if there's a way to download VC games that are available in other countries? Japan got Mario Kart 64 and I'm willing to kill many, many hobos to get my grubby little paws on that one.

I also just got Red Steel. It has its flaws but overall it's a thoroughly entertaining game and really makes excellent use of the Wiimote+Nunchuk.

Any recommendations for GameCube games?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2006-12-27, 16:08

for gamecube:
mario kart double dash
legend of zelda wind waker (might be dissapointing after TP though...)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2006-12-27, 19:16

I have yet to get the latest Nintendo console, but I am wondering if there will be a new version of Mario Kart racing for the Wii.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-12-27, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I have yet to get the latest Nintendo console, but I am wondering if there will be a new version of Mario Kart racing for the Wii.
Almost certainly. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Although a Mario Kart game is not in active development for the system,[1] EAD producer Hideki Konno has indicated that the Wii is the "next logical step" for the Mario Kart series.
HTH.
chromos

2006-12-28, 10:37

1. Sports, Zelda, Rayman Raving Rabbids
2. Rayman, Sports (haven't tried Zelda yet)
3. None
4. Need to research

RRR is hilarious! Makes a great party game. And I've only tried 4 of the challenges so far (apparently there are 70).

PS It's probably been mentioned elsewhere, but the wii reminds me of the older Aqua interface and Macs in general (pill-shaped buttons, white striped background, use of verbs to label buttons instead of Yes/No... it's eerie).

Last edited by chromos : 2006-12-28 at 10:50.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-12-28, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromos View Post
It's probably been mentioned elsewhere, but the wii reminds me of the older Aqua interface and Macs in general (pill-shaped buttons, white striped background, use of verbs to label buttons instead of Yes/No... it's eerie).
Ditto.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2006-12-28, 13:02

mmmm, about 15 hours into zelda now...damn that game gets addictive...it's all new to me as it is my first zelda game...liking it alot

got raving rabbids for xmas...will have to play more...like it, but not in love with it...though i do love the rabbids scream

got plenty of games to keep me occupied for some time...heck, i've got probably 60 more hours of zelda to go...at least (yes i'm slow...and is it just me, or do other people think, "mmmm, if this was a PS game or xbox game, and not a nintendo game, i would probably have hacked the heads off those bratty kids long ago... and i would have boffed princess zelda up in the castle"...mmmm, a GTA version of zelda would be funny...though the people at nintendo would likely burst a vessel in their heads if they saw it)

my wife already thinks she has become a wii-dow...my daughter told me last night to stop hogging the wii

i guess that is the nice thing about Sports...you can play a game or two and quit...with zelda i have to finish this room or this level...heck, i'm be done once i find the major boss and defeat him...next thing i know i've put 2 hours in and my wife is just shaking her head and calling old boyfriends on the phone

i will say that having a TV room with a big widescreen HDTV and surround sound really makes the games addictive...you feel like you are part of that world

g

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-12-28, 20:38

Quote:
i will say that having a TV room with a big widescreen HDTV and surround sound really makes the games addictive...you feel like you are part of that world
ditto.

It's awesome.

Wii Tennis is great on a big screen, and my wife absolutely loves Zelda.

(I have to fight her for the tv every now and then when I want to put something on our PS3 or 360.. but I am addicted to Need For Speed, or Burnout, and setting the view as right in the drivers seat and going flat out down any road they throw at me...)

Dim the lights, crank up the volume and stick your head into the screen... Wheeeeeeee....

We've both never fallen off the sofa so much!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Selina

2007-01-02, 10:07

I got a Wii for christmas and I'm totally addicted. I played so much Zelda on sunday that my eyes were burning and all my muscles aching. I ignored the 10 minutes break per hour warning...
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-01-02, 10:27

ha...yeah i waited to start zelda till the holidays and now i am hooked (actually got the game on launch day, but i knew it would take lots of time and effort as i've never played a zelda game before)...just recently got to the part when i can change back and forth from human to wolf...dang this game is huge...so much to do

my wife is now a zelda widow

the down side of zelda is that it is a one person game...so not a party game or friends coming over game...but a perfect game to blow a few hours by yourself with

g

spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-01-02, 10:51

Quote:
i've never played a zelda game before
When they emerge in the Wii shop, you simply have to buy Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I've not played the new game and by all accounts it's very good, but Ocarina of Time is pretty much the pinnacle of video gaming. Majora's Mask is a nice headfuck twist on the mask theme, but OoT is just beautiful from start to finish.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-01-02, 11:42

yes, i plan to get the VC version of OoT...that said, i wonder how it will play after TP...TP is just so huge and beautiful...i image OoT will be a bit smaller and less nice graphically than TP (i'm sure it was cutting edge at the time...just like the orginal zelda, but i downloaded that and only played it once and got bored)...
also i love using the Wii remote...OoT will be the classic controller...i'm sure i'll keep waving the classic controller trying to get Linkg to swing his sword...and riding the horse and transforming and warping all really help get around this huge world in ways that keep the game from being too boring

probably should have waited and played OoT first...but i'm less than half way through TP...lots of fun stuff still to do, plus i want to re-go over some areas i've been to look for more stuff

g

edit...that said, i will download OoT and will play it all the way through and i'm sure i will really really like it...just think i will like TP better because of: one, it is my first Zelda, two, it uses the wiimote which i love, and three, it has modern graphics and an emense world to explore

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-01-02, 11:56

I played Rayman the other day, got it for christmas. So far it's been a lot of fun, although I think Wii sports is still my favorite. Mainly because it's the one my wife likes to play too.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-02, 12:04

Which Rayman is that? I have seen some tv features on certain Rayman games here, but I thought they were older console versions.. Which is the Wii specific one?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-01-02, 12:11

It's the one with the insane screaming rabbits. I think it's more mini-games than a proper platform game. I want to get it but I can't find it in any stores.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 10:03

Got Excite Truck. It is pretty freaking awesome. Using the custom soundtrack from an SD card makes it even more awesome. I'm having a hard time training my brain to not use the d-pad on the Wiimote to steer. I keep wasting all my turbo at stupid times because I accidentely try to veer to left.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-03, 10:05

Quote:
yes, i plan to get the VC version of OoT...that said, i wonder how it will play after TP...TP is just so huge and beautiful...i image OoT will be a bit smaller and less nice graphically than TP (i'm sure it was cutting edge at the time...just like the orginal zelda, but i downloaded that and only played it once and got bored)...
also i love using the Wii remote...OoT will be the classic controller...i'm sure i'll keep waving the classic controller trying to get Linkg to swing his sword...and riding the horse and transforming and warping all really help get around this huge world in ways that keep the game from being too boring

probably should have waited and played OoT first...but i'm less than half way through TP...lots of fun stuff still to do, plus i want to re-go over some areas i've been to look for more stuff

g

edit...that said, i will download OoT and will play it all the way through and i'm sure i will really really like it...just think i will like TP better because of: one, it is my first Zelda, two, it uses the wiimote which i love, and three, it has modern graphics and an emense world to explore
If you're really into the Zelda thing, you should try to get a gameboy (or DS) and get The Minish Cap. It's fantastic. Windwaker is good too, and will play on your Wii and you can probably get it for really cheap.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Selina

2007-01-04, 06:42

I never really got into windwaker but as everyones mentioned above, Ocarina of time is the best game I've ever played. Amazing!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-04, 09:43

Quote:

You should still thoroughly enjoy OoT. TP acts like a sequel to OoT in many ways. The story follows OoT at some indeterminate point in the future. Some locations (such as the Temple of Time) and music (many of the "howls") and characters (the Gorons and Zoras) are taken directly from OoT. Also, OoT was the first Zelda game to introduce the 3D perspective and interface that's still used in TP.

As for the "old school" birds-eye-view Zelda games, my personal favorite is A Link to the Past for the SNES, despite starting from the original on the NES.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-01-05, 19:13

I finally got a Wii!

I really like excite truck, I have yet to play Zelda. Wii Sports are fun but they are kinda simplistic and get a little boring pretty quickly, although, I'd imagine that is mostly because I only have 1 controller for now so I can't play 2+ player.

Nintendo's revived my faith in video games, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing.