AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"DOOM" movie, not so Doom-like

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"DOOM" movie, not so Doom-like
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-09, 23:06

That's nothing! Jurassic Park was the ultimate video game to movie to book experience. It's like it got better with each iteration!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-12-10, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
John Carmack is a sick fuck, that goes without saying. He may be a great programmer, but you don't come up with the kind of stuff he does without having a twisted mind / dabbling in the occult (I would guess).
Whuh? You ever watch horror movies?

I think all the stuff in Doom is very vanilla. You get your basic pentagrams, candles, corpses, blood stains sprinkled all over. IIRC on Hell levels there were walls made of bones/flesh, but that's Hell we're talking about. Note that all this is static imagery, a horror gallery, but there's no dynamic action, no living characters involved and none of it is really personal, none of it really gets under your skin. To put together that much, you don't need to be a 'sick fuck', far less to 'dabble in the occult'. I'd even say it's the least you can do when the game is about Hell and demons.

To make things maximally scary, you need to get the audience to like and identify with characters and then threaten to hurt them in various interesting ways. Some movies manage to do both. Old Dooms didn't do either, and looking at the reviews of D3 I don't think it does either since the reviewers would have mentioned it.

If I was responsible for crafting the setting, I'd put much, much worse stuff in there.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-12-10, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That's nothing! Jurassic Park was the ultimate video game to movie to book experience. It's like it got better with each iteration!

I watched the movie (actually it was the first movie I ever saw at theatre) and afterwards read the book, and I'm glad it happened this way, since the movie wasn't bad really - I enjoyed it and the effects really were unheard of stuff at that time - but after reading the excellent book the plot changes made for the movie would have bugged me to no end.
Akumulator

2004-12-10, 00:24

Quote:
I knew when I posted that in the other thread that it would actually work in ANY thread... it's that good. As I'm typing this right now (and rewatching the clip), my love bird is going ape shit.... I think it's her new favorite song.

Another game movie you all left out... Cloak and Dagger. Dabney Coleman in his oscar worthy performance.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-11, 00:49

Quote:
I disagree. I'd say he's a social genius. ...

It's like Wolfenstein and the Nazis. The bad guy is an ultimate evil that has no good traits. Again, perfect setup for a game where you go around killing bad guys left and right. ....

By the same accord, if Carmack is twisted, what do you say about the people that make horror movies? They have to come up with some really sick, gory ways of mutilating people physically and psychologically. Does that make those writers equally screwed up in the head?

YES. Most definitely. People that produced Faces of Death? Sick fucks. People who produced movies like the Gates of Hell and other movies that are more about depicting torturous events as they happen to people (not just showing blood or stabbing or whatever)? Sick fucks.

Depending on the horror flick that you're describing (some are very good stories that are much more about the fear / human psychology than about how despicable an image of carnage they can burn into people's minds), many of the Hollywood types who make them are definitely messed up / unstable IMHO.

I'm not saying John Carmack isn't a very clever business man who has his finger on the pulse of his buying public, etc... I'm not even saying he shouldn't be allowed to make those games. I'm saying that in order to conjur up some of the visions this man has, you have to be a little screwed in the noggin. A little unstable, a little warped -- however you want to describe it. There are certain things that sort of cross the unspoken line. They're not written down anywhere and they're not talked about; you just know it when you see it.

You have to dismiss a certain part of your humanity in order to willfully conjur up and serve to the masses those kinds of images and ideas. Just MO.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-12-11, 01:29

You guys realise that 95% (probably more) of the art and map work are done by people other than JC? Right?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-11, 10:52

Of course he's not the guy actually doing the Photoshop / Maya work (or whatever they use), but he's almost certainly directing or taking a big role in "directing" the look and feel of the game.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Grey

2005-04-05, 17:55

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706/

Beeing a big fan of the the Doom games (PSX) i really had my hopes up for this one when i first heard there was a movie in the works. Now i realize that Starship Troopers was probably the closest we´ll ever get. Starship Troopers was of course not Doom_ish in the story but parts of the movie got the same dark_hopeless_no_way_out feeling that separated these games from everything else, not including Doom 3 which IMO pretty much looks like everything else.

Somehow i think it would be interesting to see what Peter Jackson could have done to the Doom concept as he has proven to hold much respect to recreate the "feel" of the original LOTR material. Some artistic freedom, yes, but still...very true to the original thing...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-04-05, 19:13

Yes, but Doom is hardly LOtR, now is it?!?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-05, 20:21

When we talked about the gore and horror imagery earlier on this thread, I thought about these scenes from Doom2 final boss level for comparison to Doom3 but didn't bother to find them. Now I dug them up. Enjoy.

http://archive.gamespy.com/asp/image...m/doom2/73.gif
http://archive.gamespy.com/asp/image...m/doom2/78.gif

That's the goriest and most effective imagery I remember from the old Dooms.

First the small "loading chamber" with bodies on the walls, and the "white mist" with swirling, moving contorted faces. This was animated in the game, and was actually a teleport which led to the boss room.

The boss itself was very striking; a demon so big only its head is visible and the rest is buried inside the techno-organic building complex. The boss itself was immobile and defenseless but all its minions kept attacking. The boss' weak point was the exposed brain showing from an opening in the midst of the skull.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-06, 07:12

Quote:
I disagree. I'd say he's a social genius. He made a product that became an instant hit and is still revered by gamers around the world. For several years Doom was the game that all other FPS's were judged by. Sure, part of this was for its technical accomplishment, but not nearly as many folks would have played it if instead of demons you were shooting pink bunnies.
Don't forget, once you bought the full version, you were allowed to tweak the enemy models. There was a version of Barney Doom released that was kinda cool (I love you, you shoot me). While not pink bunnies, purple dinosaurs were fun to take out. Or even more fun, make all the monsters have the face of that boss you hate, then make a map of your office and go postal.
Grey

2005-04-06, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Yes, but Doom is hardly LOtR, now is it?!?
Obviously not, my point was that PJ has proven to take the original concepts seriously which is something needed for the Doom concept. It does not need to be copied in every detail but you need to give your audience that "yeah, this IS Doom" feeling and PJ is IMHO the director of today which has the skill, respect and resources to do this...as proven with Lord of the Rings.

By all means, surely he is not the only one out there capable of this.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-01-27, 07:00

Thought I would just say that I quite liked the movie.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-27, 12:12

I liked the original game and Doom II.

The latter games all seemed kinda dumb.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-27, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Thought I would just say that I quite liked the movie.

20 million years later.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-27, 16:08

A nearly-16-year necro-bump. Impressive. Maybe the highest I've seen here. Hell, I bumped an 18-month-old thread once and FFL(?) wagged his finger to me about it. I imagine his head would've exploded today.

And that it wasn't a shithead spammer - you know, one of the Toledo brigade, who just signed up today - is even more shocking.

Quote:
Yes, Doom is be a greatest movie. I've always enjoys it to!! You can watch this classics and many more others via our new...
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-01-27, 16:25

As the years progress, the bar just gets higher.

And if the forum overlords don't want old threads necro'd then maybe they should revisit the similar threads options at the bottom of the page. I clicked on the link and saw the legacy hate prerelease so thought I would chime in that I didn't think it was as bad as people predicted. To me it is just a mindless bit of popcorn cinema that you don't have to get too emotionally invested in.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-27, 16:39

This particular forum overlord thinks it's funny as hell when you guys find some crazy, random junk in the backwoods and drag it's stinking carcass out for everyone to marvel over.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)