Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
iDorf

2008-08-21, 07:51

Trying to look cool!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-08-21, 07:58

How poetic.

If anybody saw Seinfield (which IMO, didn't really think it funny. Maybe a smattering of "yeah..." here and there but no chuckles, let alone a gut-busting guffaw), Jerry had a Mac+ in his apartment.

But Jerry never really struck me as a apple guy for some reason...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-21, 08:12

Jerry had quite a few Macs in his apartment over the years of the show. The little original(?) Mac (the white-ish AIO with the 9" screen), one of those Dock thingies and, just last night (the episode about Jerry and his girlfriend making out during "Schindler's List"), he had a TAM (at least that's what it looked like from the side, in a brief scene).

As for his Microsoft thing, that's cool. But as the article says, it's way beyond "perception" at this point (and Vista is kinda beyond saving, rep-wise, I believe). And the article does make a neat point about how the "big guy" is rarely seen as cool, compared to the smaller, scrappier competitors. May not apply directly to Apple and Microsoft (even if Apple was at 90%, with everything else being the same, they'd still have better ideas, products, OS, philosophy, etc.). Perhaps, being at less than 10%, Apple can afford to take chances and step outside the box, where outfits like Microsoft and others can't?

I don't know.

In any case, I still think it's funny that Microsoft is spending $300 million to, basically, polish a turd. Or to undo something that really can't be undone. Seems like an odd use of that much money...I can think of five things they could be doing with it instead, including hiring some original, "screw Apple and what they're doing" thinkers and managers. Microsoft is at their lamest and most ridicule-worthy when they try to out-Apple Apple. If they'd just accept who/what they are and be comfortable in that and do their own thing, people would probably not be so quick to kick them in the nuts all the time.

Another thing...in typical fashion, Microsoft "gets it" a skootch after the fact. Getting Jerry Seinfeld to be your spokesman would've been quite a coup a decade ago, when his show was still on, and people actually gave a rip.

But now? Is there a huge, devoted Seinfeld following out there, hanging on his every word and looking to him for what's cool or buy-worthy? Was there ever? Many see him as an aloof smart-ass and borderline unlikable in real life (I saw him on Larry King about eight years ago and he was 100% a-hole). His show was funny not because of him, but everything around him (the three other main characters, the absurd situations, the avoidance of schmaltz/sentimentality and other sitcom formulas, the whackjob guest stars and smaller roles, etc.). He was the straight man on his own show, providing very little of the actual humor the show is known for. And his stand-up is so-so, IMO. I've seen and heard it many times over the years and it never really slayed me.

Not sure what Microsoft was going for here. But, then again, I'm frequently wondering that about them so why should this be any different...

They bring this ridicule and scorn on themselves, when they try to be a certain way or when they're blatantly seen to be copying or bandwagon-jumping.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-21, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Jerry had quite a few Macs in his apartment over the years of the show. The little original(?) Mac (the white-ish AIO with the 9" screen), one of those Dock thingies and, just last night (the episode about Jerry and his girlfriend making out during "Schindler's List"), he had a TAM (at least that's what it looked like from the side, in a brief scene).
Yup. He had a "classic" Macintosh SE/30, a PowerBook Duo Dock, and a 20th Anniversary Mac.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-08-21, 08:28

Part of the problem with MS is it's unwillingness to take risks. They don't innovate but instead react depending on how the wind blows that day. Whether it's the XBOX, Zune, or Vista, they've all been a product of trying to emulate someone elses success.
Until they come out with something original, they will always be perceived as 'uncool' regardless of who they use as a spokesperson.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-21, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yup. He had a "classic" Macintosh SE/30, a PowerBook Duo Dock, and a 20th Anniversary Mac.
Ha...that's pretty cool because I was just going on memory (and I thought I might've left one or two out).

But those were the three that remember, sitting over in the corner near his window.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-21, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Part of the problem with MS is it's unwillingness to take risks. They don't innovate but instead react depending on how the wind blows that day. Whether it's the XBOX, Zune, or Vista, they've all been a product of trying to emulate someone elses success.
Until they come out with something original, they will always be perceived as 'uncool' regardless of who they use as a spokesperson.
I completely agree, and that's definitely what I was getting at in my "be their company, and don't worry about trying to outdo Apple at every turn" comments.

It seems like with their resources, status, brainpower, etc., they could come up with someone truly revolutionary...something that everyone else would be seeking to copy or jump on to. But they've done a gaming system and a music player, hoping to tap in that Playstation and iPod territory. And, I suppose, Vista (and XP) were their responses to the rounded, glowing, glassy look of OS X. Only Apple seems to have put a skootch more care and thought into how their OS works, and gets the hell out of the way of the user, whereas Microsoft almost seems to have taken a "let's kinda match the look/feel, and just shovel the rest in underneath it". Because, as always, anytime I sit at my Mom's XP machine or my sister's Vista-based HP, I'm pretty much pulling my hair out and rolling my eyes within 5-7 minutes because of how clunky and annoying that OS can be, trying to do the simplest, smallest things.

*click*

"Are you sure?"

Yes, dammit! I clicked the button, didn't I?

"Sorry, that operation cannot..."

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-08-21, 11:04

Daring Fireball: Memoranda

The problem with Microsoft is that they feel the need to dominate everything. They want to be the next General Electric. They get their fingers in everything, and yet rarely succeed in fields that are outside their core competencies. They think they can throw money at any problem and have it fix itself. Any time any tech company shows there is growth potential in a sector, Microsoft jumps in head first - usually 5 years later, because they are too bloated and slow to do anything quickly - oblivious as to whether or not they are actually capable of making it in that sector.

If Microsoft would drop everything but Windows, Office, and Xbox, and then fire half of their useless middle managers, they might actually get somewhere. Instead, they hire more managers to head up more new departments, and each time, they get farther away from Operating Systems and Office Suites.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2008-08-21, 13:23

I'm so much looking forward to Apple's parodies to these advertisements.

No doubt they'll find some Seinfeld look-alike for their own ads, and let him duel with John Hodgman about who is the real PC guy.

Or just dress John Hodgman like Seinfeld (you read it here first!).

Heck, they might even be shooting an ad with John Hodgman in jeans, a light blue shirt, a dark blue spencer and uplifting chemicals in his hair today, and air it long before Microsoft's ads come out!

Last edited by Doxxic : 2008-08-21 at 13:45.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-08-21, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
(...)

Or just dress John Hodgman like Seinfeld (you read it here first!).

(...)

Quite possibly an epic win.

Another obvious problem with MS is that they just try to Zerg rush with advertisement money instead of building a good combo.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-09-05, 02:44

Just saw the first ad. Yes it is a tad (OK very) odd. But i think they have done the correct thing and not advertised Vista specifically. It is just an ad for Microsoft.

The good points are that it has a clear recognisable link with Microsoft, by Bill Gates featuring in the ad. The bad side is that the whole ad is just a bit too far away from computing to be relavant.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-09-05, 03:06

The ad is cute, but far too long. I also have my doubts it does much about Microsoft's image; it makes Bill Gates look like a guy to have a beer with ( ), but Bill no longer works with Microsoft, nor has he represented the company lately.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-05, 03:10

He still owns it though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-09-05, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
He still owns it though.
Well, 8.7% of it.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-09-05, 05:46

Jesus. I watched it, figuring that it couldn't possibly be that bad if Seinfeld was in it... and it was frickin' terrible. Not funny or clever at *all*. They actually put this shit out thinking it'll do some good?

FAIL.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2008-09-05, 06:13

Firstly, I don't get it.
Secondly, it sucks.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-05, 06:54

I liked Bill's shoe store frequent shopper card with that old, geeky-looking picture on it.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-09-05, 07:04

I thought it was cute, but it didn't sell a product to me unless Microsoft is now selling Conquistadors.

Here's a link to the ad
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-09-05, 07:35

I thought it was funny, but I think all the ad is trying to do is un-demonize Microsoft at this point.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-05, 09:41

It was very Seinfeld-esque. So it appeals to those who enjoy his brand of comedy. It's really not far off from those Amex/Superman commercials substituting Gates is now his sidekick or buddy. Witty dialogue with inside jokes and references.

But that's where I think it fails. For the geek, yes he/she may look forward to what the ultimate payoff is. But for the average viewer, it requires working way too hard to follow along. They're lost by the conquistador reference.

Maybe Microsoft is taking the high road by not slamming the Mac in their ads. Perhaps simply referring to the Mac, shows a sign of weakness and admission that they're a competitor. But, they haven't responded in the past 5 years already and look where it's landed them.
Instead, it looks like they're approach is more about the future and going with a trusted company like Microsoft. Problem is, Microsoft is looking more and more like the past.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-05, 10:02

LOL WUT?!

Delicious Windows?

Are you sure this isn't really Bill Gates and Seinfeld making some more money pimping shoes?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2008-09-05, 10:27

Ugh...I just don't get it.
Maybe that's because I don't like Seinfeld and thought the show was boring as hell. Or, maybe because the commercial was crap.
I want my 60 seconds back.

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-05, 10:33

I'm thinking there must me some subliminal stuff in there. I mean, right? Right??

Shoes... let's see. What could shoes represent?

You put them on your feet. So...

I got nothin'.

Ugh.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-05, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
Ugh...I just don't get it.
Maybe that's because I don't like Seinfeld and thought the show was boring as hell. Or, maybe because the commercial was crap.
I want my 60 seconds back.
From what I've read, the commercial was 90 seconds long.

I too watched two episodes of Seinfeld before deciding I'd rather gouge my eyes out than watch another episode of that unfunny show. Seems like we're in the minority in that department. I still want those 60 minutes back too.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-05, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I'm thinking there must me some subliminal stuff in there. I mean, right? Right??

Shoes... let's see. What could shoes represent?

You put them on your feet. So...

I got nothin'.

This was a comment posted on C|Net today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy
This ad wasn't about nothing. First of all, looking into the shoe shop, Gates had the chance of selecting a shoe which fits him. Windows 'ecosystem' is like that. Different computers of various shapes and forms which fits your needs. Also the flexibility of the shoe compares to that of Windows. (Linux also)

About Seinfield having shower with his clothes on, that refers to the Mac. You are not legally permitted by Apple to build from scratch like some personal system builders can do on Windows or Linux platform. Macs come pre-built from Apple (Psystar and co are seen as illegal in Apple's eyes). You are not legally allowed to build from bare bones or naked PCs.

At least at the end when Seinfeld asked "Are they ever gonna come out with something that will make our computers moist and chewy like cake so we can just eat them while we're working? If it's yes, give me a signal. Adjust your shorts." and Gates gave a sign. Microsoft is placing some Windows gurus at some Best Buy stores to convince people to buy Windows PCs. Some people wether in small numbers after seeing this ad would be curious as to what the new product from Microsoft is and some of these people will end up talking to these guys who will convince them to buy Microsoft products.

This particular ad was made for people to figure out what is going on and therefore make them follow the subsequent ones which will need no brainer to uncover the reason behind it. (Just like how the Playstation 3's 'This is Living' ad started)

I know bashing MS of late is a fashion but come on guys, just think about it and you'll get it.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-09-05, 11:46

Wow, that's grasping for ya.

Commercial was - dumb and not funny. And I really like Seinfeld.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-05, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
This was a comment posted on C|Net today:

SNIP
Wow. I can't believe the shoes really did mean something. I'm impressed. I think I might even like the commercial. Not sure yet. Maybe though.
chucker

2008-09-05, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Wow, that's grasping for ya.
And even if it happens to the very interpretation Microsoft's marketing wanted us to do: why would anyone ever want to go through the effort of interpreting a commercial? It either has a message for its intended target audience, or it doesn't. If it does, it better be clear. Otherwise, it's a waste of the viewer's time and the advertiser's budget.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-09-05, 11:59

I didn't really get it. Doesn't seem to make sense. I'm sure that ad (which was nearly 2 minutes long) will be broken up into little pieces and arranged to fill 30 second or perhaps 60 second spots, but it won't make it any more sense (if anything, it'll make even less sense).

But this seems like a trend in the advertising industry. Sell the brand and the image, not the product.

Anyway, I don't agree with everyone's criticism of Microsoft, at least not in its entirety. I do agree that there are a lot of things they've done that were just downright stupid. The Zune was the biggest one; everyone, including many Microsoft devotees, predicted that one would flop horribly. Even people who bought the Zune knew it was stupid and that the promise of new features being added later was empty.

But look at the Xbox. Some people say MS just throws money at things, but they've really hit on a major success with gaming. And yes, it took the original Xbox (a major money-loser) to get there, but now look at how successful the 360 is.

As for Vista, I don't think it's a bad product, but you know a company is desperate when they try to prove that their product is good by doing tests. It's like the Pepsi Challenge. Had the product been managed and marketed correctly from the start, they wouldn't need to make a second, desperate attempt to convince people of its worth.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-09-05, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I liked Bill's shoe store frequent shopper card with that old, geeky-looking picture on it.
That was the only funny part, but mainly because they intentionally used his mugshot photo from when he was arrested when he was really young.

I don't think many people got that though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me