User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Doesn't exist if you don't talk about it! (Sex Ed)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Doesn't exist if you don't talk about it! (Sex Ed)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-06, 09:45

Don't any good things come from texas?

I seriously don't think a worse idea pertaining to sex ed could be done.

Linky
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-06, 10:06

Good grief! Naivety reigns supreme!

Oh well, at least this will reinforce that old "bare foot and pregnant" stereotype. I must admit they do offer up a fine batch of material for the future comedians of america.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-06, 10:09

Oh, come on. This is just like drugs. As long as we make marijuana and cocaine and other drugs illegal, and crack down on their supply sometimes, no one will be harmed by them! Right?

Just as if we tell our kids to not have sex at all, they won't! Those 16-year-old high schoolers will certainly take their teachers on their word that sex is evil because it involves your naughty places. What's next, are we going to start teaching that masturbation is wrong too?

I for one think that sex needs to be discussed a lot more openly at a semi-early age. I liken it to the drinking age - if you teach kids about it in a controlled environment when they're younger and not completely independent, then it isn't such a huge deal once they're on their own. Getting totally piss drunk is a lot more likely to happen if you've been deprived of alcohol your whole life. Then again, if you're like me (or anyone else who was raised in a family that allowed light social drinking early on), then you know that alcohol really isn't that big a deal. It's just something fun to do once in a while.

Teaching abstinence only will make kids want to experiment more with sex. And once they go independent, they'll be a lot more ignorant to how things work than someone who was raised with the knowledge of what sex is, the risks involved, and how to be safe. I might even go so far as to actually encourage the teaching of techniques that these hormone-filled adolescents can use to enjoy themselves without the risks associated with sexual intercourse. Of course that'll never happen except maybe in some super-liberal school district in California or Oregon or something, but I can dream can't I? As ast3r3x said, it's not like not mentioning sex is going to prevent anything from happening. This is just some religious fundamentalist viewpoint being promoted as a viable method of teaching. Total BS.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-06, 10:21

This is what happens when you let your Christian minister do your thinking for you. What a bunch of crap....
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-08-06, 10:27

ha, texas just wants a lot more baby texans running about...

and that is exactly what they will get...oh well, i like kids so no biggie for me...though more texan kids equals more texan adults 20 years from now... and that is a scary thought

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
ast3r3x

2004-08-06, 10:34

Screw texas, they can adopt the saying "Texas...Just As Good As West Virginia" for all I care. I know the chances are slim to none, but it better not spread to any other state.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-08-06, 10:50

You've gotta love the (ir)religious right and their braindead followers.
Their "stick our heads in the sand" mentality is just so maddening. Well, at least I don't live there.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-06, 10:54

And the Lord said unto the ministers, "you will hide the contraceptives and vote for the Pro Life [oh the irony!] candidate"... and thus the contraceptives were hidden, the votes were cast and it was good.

...into the light of a dark black night.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-08-06, 11:53

All of which reminds me of this excellent tidbit.

Mind you, I'm not entirely sure why it's necessary to have a text-book for sex ed anyway — you'd think that most adult teachers would be able to write a reasonable curriculum on the subject by themselves, surely?

If only I could erase the memory of that Kiwi sex-ed video from my mind ("hey, you're not the one who's pussing yughut!"). *Shudder*
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-06, 13:31

reminds me of something i heard on NPR. basically text books suck now, because they're all made by four (maybe three now) companies. those companies have to be able to sell their books in both Texas and California. so anything that's objetionable to either state gets pulled. problem is, that's just about everything.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-06, 13:36

Re: This being effective like the war on drugs, the problem is that if these people feel they "saved" even one or two kids, they're happy. It's really kind of like spam... all it takes is about 1% of people to respond.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-06, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
reminds me of something i heard on NPR. basically text books suck now, because they're all made by four (maybe three now) companies. those companies have to be able to sell their books in both Texas and California. so anything that's objetionable to either state gets pulled. problem is, that's just about everything.

That's friggin twisted. I am so tired of political and religious correctness ruling over common sense and intelligence. No wonder half the schools in America give Johnny an A on his math test for incorrectly surmising that 7+17 must be 27... cuz gosh, he sure tried hard and won't it make him feel better about himself if he gets an A?

Screw Texas and California. If they don't like common sense, rigorous textbooks, make them write their own while the remaining 40 states or so (I'm sure a few bible belt states and maybe Oregon would use the Texas and California editions) use the good stuff.

...into the light of a dark black night.
ast3r3x

2004-08-06, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
That's friggin twisted. I am so tired of political and religious correctness ruling over common sense and intelligence. No wonder half the schools in America give Johnny an A on his math test for incorrectly surmising that 7+17 must be 27... cuz gosh, he sure tried hard and won't it make him feel better about himself if he gets an A?

Screw Texas and California. If they don't like common sense, rigorous textbooks, make them write their own while the remaining 40 states or so (I'm sure a few bible belt states and maybe Oregon would use the Texas and California editions) use the good stuff.

"New Math" Sure would be an interesting concept.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-06, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
All of which reminds me of this excellent tidbit.

Mind you, I'm not entirely sure why it's necessary to have a text-book for sex ed anyway — you'd think that most adult teachers would be able to write a reasonable curriculum on the subject by themselves, surely?

If only I could erase the memory of that Kiwi sex-ed video from my mind ("hey, you're not the one who's pussing yughut!"). *Shudder*
I grew up in the Barossa (Tanunda), and I'm almost certain it was a vigilante attack. A few years ago, Lutheran ministers went through all the books in the local library with black marker and blacked out everything they believed not fit for the public.

Barto

PS That article claims that Lutherans left Germany because of religious persecution - this appears everywhere in the written history of the Barossa. I actually did some research after I left, turns out religious persecution was not a very significant reason for emigration.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.

Last edited by Barto : 2004-08-06 at 22:18. Reason: Changed "not a significant" to "not a very significant"
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-06, 20:44

And people wonder why some Texans are stereotypically portrayed as redneck religious fools.

Next they'll be adding stickers into science books disclaiming evolution... oh wait...
maybe that's one of those other States of denial... AL, KY... sadly, the list grows.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-08-06 at 21:52. Reason: Correct State abbreviations
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
And people wonder why some Texans are stereotypically portrayed as redneck religious fools.

Next they'll be adding stickers into science books disclaiming evolution... oh wait...
maybe that's one of those other States of denial... AB, KT... sadly, the list grows.
Do you mean AL and KY?

Seems like they need to teach geography too...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-06, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Do you mean AL and KY?

Seems like they need to teach geography too...
Those were the ones I meant. Got the abbreviations wrong.
I'm pretty good with country domain codes... States postal shorthand, not so much.

I do know all the Canadian provincial codes.
ast3r3x

2004-08-06, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I grew up in the Barossa (Tanunda), and I'm almost certain it was a vigilante attack. A few years ago, Lutheran ministers went through all the books in the local library with black marker and blacked out everything they believed not fit for the public.

Barto

PS That article claims that Lutherans left Germany because of religious persecution - this appears everywhere in the written history of the Barossa. I actually did some research after I left, turns out religious persecution was not a significant reason for emigration.
Well it was a major factor. Luther wasn't very pleased with the bureaucracy and conduct of the Catholic churches. You can really think of Lutheran Christians as Catholics that follow the bible. It's basically the same without what I like to call "made up stuff". Sorry if I offended any catholics on the board.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-06, 22:11

The schools could just hire that Letourneau chick, now that she's out of the joint. She'd probably teach the hell out of it.

I recall an old SNL Weekend Update segment with Norm McDonald talking about - I THINK - this particular case. He read the story in mock seriousness, leading up to the punchline of "...or as her students refer to her, 'the best teacher ever'".

kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-08-06, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
It's basically the same without what I like to call "made up stuff".
Not to start a flame war or anything, but one can say (and to a large extent prove) that the bible is "made up stuff".
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-06, 22:30

"KY: It's the postal code for our state, and it doesn't stand for anything else, damn it!"
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 22:48

I simply had to buy a tshirt while at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky last summer.

It's bright orange, has a big oval in the middle that looks like one of those country-code stickers on European cars that's been co-opted as tourist crap in the States.

Big, white lettering of 'KY', then in little teeny letters below it 'mammoth cave national park'.

I get the *BEST* double takes... especially on the West Coast, farther away from the state.
ast3r3x

2004-08-06, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
Not to start a flame war or anything, but one can say (and to a large extent prove) that the bible is "made up stuff".
Yes you could argue that. Except at least some of it actually happened and is fact. But what I was really referring to, is purgatory and, the old idea of being able to buy your way into heaven aren't party of Lutheranism. The emphasis on Mary also doesn't exist.
staph
Microbial member

2004-08-06, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Well it was a major factor. Luther wasn't very pleased with the bureaucracy and conduct of the Catholic churches. You can really think of Lutheran Christians as Catholics that follow the bible. It's basically the same without what I like to call "made up stuff". Sorry if I offended any catholics on the board.
You realise we're talking about mid-nineteenth century (post 1840) emigration from Germany, don't you? This is not Thirty Years' War stuff. I find it difficult to believe that the majority religion in Germany at the time would feel it necessary to leave because of persecution, after centuries of Being Just Fine. The f**ked economy, the highly stratified society, the series of attempted revolutions and wars, and the encroaching power of the Prussians: yes. Religion: I doubt it.

Then again, German society, especially then, is far from monocultural, and you can imagine areas in which the Lutherans might have faced persecution.
staph
Microbial member

2004-08-06, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
Actually no, unless you subscribe to the Barbara Thering (aka "tin foil hat") school of early christian history. It's very clear that a great deal of what is mentioned throughout the old and new testaments is in fact rather historically accurate. The kind of things which are open to question are the various "miracles" imputed to various people, and you can also seriously question the bias/selectivity of those editing the bible (like making Magdalene a prostitute with a very small role — which is certainly not the case in some of the "unapproved" gospels). Not to mention the fact that the major approved gospels were written substantially after the fact. But one simply cannot say that there isn't a lot of truth in there.

The above statement is the kind of thing which makes me embarrassed to be an atheist.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-06, 23:35

Genesis, historically accurate?

(I'd figure an Athiest might at least mention Creation myths, uh... diverge from fact.)

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-08-06 at 23:40.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-07, 00:09

I think you are missing the point, curiousuburb. staph is pointing out that a "great deal" of the bible is historically accurate (although not absolutely)... if you ignore the various miracles and revisionism of parts the catholic church decided they didn't like.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-07, 00:12

What does the bible say about sex?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-07, 00:45

Keep thine pecker in thy pants, lest ye be smited with multitudes of rugrats and disease most foul.

I think I read that in there somewhere. Can't remember the chapter or verse...

staph
Microbial member

2004-08-07, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
What does the bible say about sex?
Lots!

Like this, this, this, this, this, and this.