AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New iPod's Untold Secrets?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPod's Untold Secrets?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 07:05

Time Magazine has called the 4th Generation iPod its "Gadget of the Week" and has said some pretty wild and interesting things about the new unit. Mainly this: If you're thinking about finally getting an iPod, now's your chance. If you're thinking about handing down your current iPod and getting a new one with a bigger hard drive, now's your chance. But don't feel pressured into upgrading, because no major bragging rights will go to the possessors of these latest iPods. That is, not yet.

http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20040728/

Check out www.macminute.com for their link to this article, titled "4G iPod, more than meets the eye?"

So, what could these extra capabilities be?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-07-29, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Time Magazine has called the 4th Generation iPod its "Gadget of the Week" and has said some pretty wild and interesting things about the new unit. Mainly this: If you're thinking about finally getting an iPod, now's your chance. If you're thinking about handing down your current iPod and getting a new one with a bigger hard drive, now's your chance. But don't feel pressured into upgrading, because no major bragging rights will go to the possessors of these latest iPods. That is, not yet.

http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20040728/

Check out www.macminute.com for their link to this article, titled "4G iPod, more than meets the eye?"

So, what could these extra capabilities be?
Vibration!
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-29, 07:15

I think you're jumping at shadows there Messiahtosh. The article seems like hyperbole to me.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I think you're jumping at shadows there Messiahtosh. The article seems like hyperbole to me.
Well then I guess so is www.macminute.com?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-29, 07:47

That's my opinion. The Time article seems to be written to give the impression of insider knowledge, but lacks any such knowledge (or evidence thereof).

Barto

Last edited by Barto : 2004-07-29 at 08:50.
Merovingian

2004-07-29, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Vibration!
Umm, I don't think so, Mr. Gold N. Staph. You have a mobile phone for that...

Anyway, has anyone else noticed Apple's PR photos of the new 4th-G iPods make the LCD screen look somewhat different? Is this reflected with the thing in real life, i.e. do they have a better screen, or is it just for good PR?

Tee-Eye-Ay. m.

Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? — The Doctor
staph
Microbial member

2004-07-29, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian
Anyway, has anyone else noticed Apple's PR photos of the new 4th-G iPods make the LCD screen look somewhat different? Is this reflected with the thing in real life, i.e. do they have a better screen, or is it just for good PR?
They're apparently now backlit in a slightly bluish hue (including in real life), but I haven't seen one… perhaps Messiahtosh can tell us when his new one arrives?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 09:16

The iPod is in my pocket, I can tell you that it is a blue-ish backlight. Nothing special, maybe slightly better than the older version's screens.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-29, 09:26

Well it's obviously some software/firmware update of some sort. I think the iPod, physically, is pretty much what it is. Nothing new or special there, other than the click wheel re-design.

So maybe they know Apple is going to give it some snazzy new software feature.

The ability to stream iCards?

But seriously, is there any chance at all whatsover - with that screen sporting a new blue-ish tint - that the silly thing is actually color capable, and a future software/firmware update from Apple will "activate" this capability, and Apple - on the same day - will release iPhoto bridge software, treating iPhoto on your Mac like iTunes, transferring your photos over to the iPod, allowing the iPod - in addition to being the best digital music player - the ultimate digital wallet?

Hmmmmm?

Okay, I'm dreaming...but it takes stupid posts like these to push mankind and technology forward. All visionaries and genius types get laughed at and ridiculed, why should I be any different?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-29 at 09:37.
CoreMac

2004-07-29, 09:34

Remember all the talk of the video iPod? Remember all the talk about an Apple video projector? The new iPod is both. That's why the screen looks different. With the right software, it will shine a perfect HD picture on your wall. It's the little trick Steve has up his sleeve, waiting for the day Janus arrives.

Guess who I wasn't. ;)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 09:59

<crosses fingers>

AirPort Express WiFi remote!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
But seriously, is there any chance at all whatsover - with that screen sporting a new blue-ish tint - that the silly thing is actually color capable, and a future software/firmware update from Apple will "activate" this capability, and Apple - on the same day - will release iPhoto bridge software, treating iPhoto on your Mac like iTunes, transferring your photos over to the iPod, allowing the iPod - in addition to being the best digital music player - the ultimate digital wallet?
I just checked out the screen...examined it very closely and whatnot. It's not color, it can't be. Sorry to disappoint.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-29, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
<crosses fingers>

Hmm...good thinking. We don't know there's not some little wireless or other capability in there, do we? Or whatever technology is used on remote controls...

That's as good a guess as any! And makes tons of sense, doesn't it?
trailmaster308

2004-07-29, 10:32

Don't think there is any wifi/infrared capabilities in the 4g ipod. They ripped one apart in the article below and I can't see anything. I'm sure they would have reported it if there was.

linky

Did you bring me a monkey?
CoreMac

2004-07-29, 10:37

The part of my post about Steve's trick up the sleeve for when Janus arrives actually sounds like him. The iPod is selling great just as it is, but when the time comes to steal news away from Janus, he pulls out the new stuff. Am I the only one who noticed how much wind was knocked out of Real's sails by the Motorola announcement? I think Tiger will play out the same way. He will show off more new features strategically, when the time is right. Back to the iPod: Steve once said that a small device that could play video on a TV (as opposed to a small screen) might be desirable. If the new pods (with a new dock and software) can display photos and video on a TV, they will probably only work with iLife. That means Mac only. That alone is a strategic reason to delay the features. Play your cards the right way and it seems the Mac adds special features to the iPod. Play them incorrectly and the headlines all say how the new iPods are crippled on Windows.

Guess who I wasn't. ;)
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-29, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreMac
The part of my post about Steve's trick up the sleeve for when Janus arrives actually sounds like him. The iPod is selling great just as it is, but when the time comes to steal news away from Janus, he pulls out the new stuff. Am I the only one who noticed how much wind was knocked out of Real's sails by the Motorola announcement? I think Tiger will play out the same way. He will show off more new features strategically, when the time is right. Back to the iPod: Steve once said that a small device that could play video on a TV (as opposed to a small screen) might be desirable. If the new pods (with a new dock and software) can display photos and video on a TV, they will probably only work with iLife. That means Mac only. That alone is a strategic reason to delay the features. Play your cards the right way and it seems the Mac adds special features to the iPod. Play them incorrectly and the headlines all say how the new iPods are crippled on Windows.
I like it, where do I sign up?
Gizzer

2004-07-29, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
<crosses fingers>

Oooo yeah! Give me one of those! :smokey:

...Or even the ability to send Track Info via the data connector to a 1 or 2 line dashboard display on a car stereo?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-29, 11:28

Man. This is pathetic. You think it's bad when we all jump on the bandwagon and speculate like crazy about all the amazing new features of the next, upcoming revision to something? Well this is just silly... we're speculating on HIDDEN FEATURES that JUST MIGHT BE in the new iPods! Based on an article in a mainstream news magazine!
CoreMac

2004-07-29, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Man. This is pathetic. You think it's bad when we all jump on the bandwagon and speculate like crazy about all the amazing new features of the next, upcoming revision to something? Well this is just silly... we're speculating on HIDDEN FEATURES that JUST MIGHT BE in the new iPods! Based on an article in a mainstream news magazine!
Ain't it fun? Of course don't go by me. I also subscribe to the conspiracy theory that "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" is, in fact, butter.

Guess who I wasn't. ;)
Gizzer

2004-07-29, 11:59

Quote:
Ain't it fun? Of course don't go by me. I also subscribe to the conspiracy theory that "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" is, in fact, butter.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 12:26

Maybe its an airtunes remote or player...that would explain better battery to allow it to power a transmitter to talk to airtunes...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Maybe its an airtunes remote or player...that would explain better battery to allow it to power a transmitter to talk to airtunes...
See...I'm not so crazy anymore

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one. However unlikely it is, a guy can dream, can't he?
DaveGee

2004-07-29, 12:39

Quote:
You mean some people think it isn't?
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-07-29, 12:43

I'm in a Bond kind of mood:
  • limpet mine
  • emits tear gas (by whistling "The Star Spangled Banner")
  • detonates (by whistling "Rue Brittania")
  • remove the foam over the ear buds and use as a defibrillator

Okay, I'm done.

Most likely Apple will sell an attachable widget that does whatever it's supposed to do. Hmm, the new battery could allow the aforementioned wireless remote.

Screed
Mike Moscow

2004-07-29, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCreeD
I'm in a Bond kind of mood:
  • limpet mine
  • emits tear gas (by whistling "The Star Spangled Banner")
  • detonates (by whistling "Rue Brittania")
  • remove the foam over the ear buds and use as a defibrillator
Screed
Oh man thats hilarious, would be cool if some future software/hardware allowed you to display pics/video on tv :smokey:
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
By the way...this is in the Speculation and Rumors forum for a reason

And it's hard to argue with an article that says:

Quote:
If you're thinking about finally getting an iPod, now's your chance. If you're thinking about handing down your current iPod and getting a new one with a bigger hard drive, now's your chance. But don't feel pressured into upgrading, because no major bragging rights will go to the possessors of these latest iPods. That is, not yet.
Argue with that. There's no way that a respected journalist in a very well respected news magazine would write that without having at least some information that we don't. There's something else in there, just not sure what yet.

Come waste your time with me
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-07-29, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moscow
Oh man thats hilarious, would be cool if some future software/hardware allowed you to display pics/video on tv :smokey:
Yah, an iPhoto player function; it would be fairly easy to implement technically. A folder on the iPod, which loads as many pictures that will fit into memory. As the slideshow progresses more pics are fed into memory, just like song files are queued.

Video is a little more challenging to balance file size, picture quality and battery life.

Screed
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-29, 13:21

Congrats on post #666 DMBand.

Oh yeah and you guys might just convince me to buy one anyway, even though my old one seems to work fine, mostly.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 13:30

http://www.portalplayer.com/news-and...to_jukebox.htm

Most interesting...

Las Vegas, Nev., January 8, 2004— PortalPlayer, Inc., the company that enabled the fast-growing music jukebox market, today announced a new development platform - the Personal Media Player: Photo Edition. The development platform includes a system-on-chip (SOC), Firmware Development Kit (FDK) and Software Development Kit (SDK) for customers to quickly bring to market a new category of products called "Personal Media Players." These battery-powered, hard-disk-drive-based devices will allow end users to capture, store, play and display their entire music, album art, and photo collections on a single device that fits in their pockets.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
staph
Microbial member

2004-07-29, 14:15

Well, someone at AI claims to have confirmation