User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook hands on

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook hands on
irnchriz

2006-08-27, 14:21

Heres my experience with the black MacBook having had it now for 2 days.

I recieved my black MacBook on Friday afternoon (25/08/06) and had a couple of problems straight away.

After booting up the MacBook I proceeded to go through the setup procedure, when it got to the data transfer from another Mac step I thought I would hook the MacBook up to my intel iMac and transfer over files and settings etc.

This was where my troubles began..

The file transfer went smoothly enough but after the install was completed and OSX booted and I ran software update and downloaded and installed all of the updates. After rebooting I discovered that the built in iSight wasn't working, it showed an image briefly then it blacked out. OK I thought, I will reset the PRAM and try it again. This time the MacBook screen was covered with loads of coloured vertical lines. OOPS

I thought I had really fu*%ed it up.

I checked the net and initially I couldn't find a solution. So I reset the PRAM again, and then again, and then again. finally I had the MacBook booting from the install disc.

I reinstalled OSX from scratch, rebooted and ran all of the updates. Hooray, all was well the iSight worked, also no coloured lines.

After getting everything working and copying my documents and apps to the MacBook I set about finding out what had caused all of the problems.

Firstly, the iSight issue. It looks like that when I transferred the files and settings from the iMac it copied the new iSight settings which are put in place by Bootcamp 1.1. Of course I hadn't installed bootcamp on the MacBook yet and it had the standard drivers for iSight.

Secondly, coloured lines. Apparently you can get this on all of the MacBooks after upgrading OSX to 10.4.7 and doing a PRAM reset. To fix this reset the PRAM again (shutdown then boot whilst holding down option command p and r) wait for 3 bongs, the MacBook then boots ok, go into system prefs change the screen resolution to something else then set it back to 1280x800. And thats it problem solved.

Now everything is working fine. I have not experienced any burnt knees yet as the firmware update has certainly made sure that the cooling fans kick in around 60c although the fans are a bit loud when you are making the MacBook work hard, but not any louder than my old PC laptop.

So there you have it, I suppose its a bit like a list of what NOT to do with your new MacBook but I hope it helps anyone with similar issues
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-27, 17:14

I find that autotransfer is more trouble than its worth. I never use it.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-08-28, 05:25

Interesting. Will keep that in mind.

(btw, you sound pretty chuffed with your new toy. Congrats.)
irnchriz

2006-08-30, 08:17

Okay, I have had the Macbook for a few days now and today I upgraded the RAM to 1gb (using 2 x 512mb SO-Dimms)

When I ejected the old ram I discovered that the contacts were covered in thermal grease!!!!!!

I thought "wtf"

I had a look on the net and found an article at Macbidoulle

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-04/

This shows the exact same thing as I experienced today. It doesnt seem to cause a problem and I have not experienced any issues with the Macbook so far (it doesnt get very hot or make weird noises)

Just wondered if anyone else had this with the Macbooks?
digitalprimate

2006-08-30, 08:42

Macs should work right out of the box and not have all this hassle. I'd hate to imagine what my (computer-shy) dad would do if he encountered any of your problems... I'm prepping him for a Mac, but god forbid he'd ever have the same troubles; He'll throw anything with keyboard out of the house!

Nice to hear everything's alright now...
billy_d_goat

2006-08-31, 10:15

Once in a while, I've seen clients get a dud. Many times this has to do with third party RAM. Other times, it is just a bad drive. In the 12 years I've owned Macs I've had three HDs go in new machine within their first month. Maybe I should play the lottery?