User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Mini Cooper: what do you think of it?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Mini Cooper: what do you think of it?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-10-07, 21:59

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-07, 22:02

I used to not like them, but the more I see them (not in that picture of course) but in person the more I like them. They just look classy to me. As for their size...I don't know, I'd have to drive one to see how I like it.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-10-07, 22:17

The new convertible version is supposedly pretty awesome... haven't seen one yet.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-07, 22:22

They were bad-ass in the Italian job, but unfortunately almost no one gets to pull cool heists in Venice and drive through storm sewers anymore, so for the rest of us, "cliche" comes to mind.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-07, 22:28

I love 'em.

Then again, I love the original, and always have.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-07, 22:28

Yeah, too bad most of the Mini scenes in that movie were physically impossible. Great flick otherwise.

I'd fucking love a Mini Cooper. I will own one in the next few years if I can help it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-07, 22:31

I wonder if a WRX engine would fit in one?

Oh, who am I kidding. The engine from the lawnmower out back wouldn't fit in the widdle thing.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-10-07, 22:39

I thought the engine was already pretty kick-arse, and don't let the old mini's fool you, these things are actually quite large.

Would I buy one? No.

(Could never afford it)

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-07, 22:45

Ever since I got my dads old 71 Volkswagon Super Beetle I have loved little cars. I also like BMWs. The Mini Cooper is one of my dream cars. I love them and want one as soon as I get out of school and can afford one.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-07, 23:15

I had a '75 BMW 2002 as an undergrad... I *LOVED* that thing. Have been looking for a tii ever since.
¡Damned!

2004-10-08, 04:43

The 2002's are incredible cars. I bought a '73 for my SO's 30th birthday a couple years back and she absolutely loves the thing. She's been hinting at upgrading to a Mini here soon...but I'd like to see one of the convertibles in person before making any decisions.

With gas prices the way they are nowadays (and not likely to go down anytime soon) we're seriously considering giving up the Jeep for something along the Mini's lines.

So it goes.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-10-08, 06:25

the mini is too expensive for what you get in return.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 07:45

Isn't that what people say about Macs?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-08, 07:48

I think the Mini Cooper looks pretty neat. I don't know much else about them though. I dig the appearance of them, even though it's not my exact cup of tea and I couldn't picture myself ever owning/driving around in one.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-10-08, 07:50

The sticker price on the Mini is fantastic, IMO. They have raised it each model year, but can you blame them? My dad had a Morris Mini Minor, which is basically the same car as the Austin Mini.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-08, 08:03

I will admit they *are* cool-looking, but they've also become a kind of cult icon where owning one is akin to making a "statement" about which crowd you hang with (and don't hang with). It's like, if you don't get into the custom scene or like Fast and Furious, you would be frowned upon for daring to own a Mini. At least around here it's that way. I've always been averse to such dealings but I can see why people like them in general.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-10-08, 11:10

They are considered one of the best deals in sports car history, a BMW produced machine for around 21k. Pretty insane.

I was just asking, because my brother Patrick just bought one. He ordered it months ago, and will have it by tomorrow. It's white with a black roof and black hood/racing stripes. A Mini Cooper S.

Can't wait for him to take me for a spin in the cooper!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-10-08, 11:13

Minis rock. They're very fun to drive, and if you didn't have an inkling of going autocrossing, you'd want to try it after buying one.

But, they're so damn "hip", and they've become purely an image car in many locales.

I would've gotten one if they were cheaper and had more room. But, instead, I replaced my '86 Civic Si with a new one:
nguyenhm16

2004-10-08, 12:20

As neat as they are, if you are a man and you drive one, it's ghey. Just like driving a Miata.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 12:44

From Alabama are we? Drive a rig? Big ol' dualie?

Sport roadsters are the very definition of masculinity, my boy. Only a real man can sling his ass 2" off the ground surrounded by less metal than I roast corn in on the grill, and go 160mph.

Any weenie can get in a big chunk of steel and make noise.

Jaguar.

Austin-Healey.

Triumph.

MG.

All classics. All studly.
ast3r3x

2004-10-08, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Minis rock. They're very fun to drive, and if you didn't have an inkling of going autocrossing, you'd want to try it after buying one.

But, they're so damn "hip", and they've become purely an image car in many locales.

I would've gotten one if they were cheaper and had more room. But, instead, I replaced my '86 Civic Si with a new one:
<snip>
Seems to have a manufacturing defect, a large ugly piece of metal is sticking off the back of the roof.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-10-08, 14:33

Why do you think they call it a "spoiler?"
ast3r3x

2004-10-08, 14:47

I've never understood

Not only are they f'n ugly, but they serve no purpose. Yeah, your not a Forumula 1 car that needs it.

Oh man, I hate people so much...because if you have a spoiler like that you already have an exhaust and enough base to drown out all mids and highs.

Man oh man do I hate people.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-08, 15:04

Especially when they put the things on little POS cars that can barely get over 100 km/h.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-10-08, 19:37

Since the car is FWD, shouldn't the wing be in front?

Ever see the FWD club dragsters? They have the huge fat tires up front and skinnies on the back.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2004-10-09, 05:00

What to think of it: The handling is great, needs more power...

The convertible is coming soon -- expect that to be the real "chick car"

I wonder if we'll see other variations? Mini Pickup? Mini Wagon? Moke? An AWD WRX alternative? An expensive one-off exotic with an M-Power engine stuffed in a box where the rear seats used to be -- think Renault...

Engines? Diesel? Hybrid electirc?

I'd put my money down for an AWD Mini Wagon...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-09, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Oh man, I hate people so much...because if you have a spoiler like that you already have an exhaust and enough base to drown out all mids and highs.

Man oh man do I hate people.

BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-10-09, 09:42

[pic of red riced-out Civic]

Quote:
I've never understood
I think it's just for style, and unfortunately, that's about it. Personally, I think that red one looks like shit, too.

The replica Mugen wing on mine (not metal, but carbon fiber... which, I'll admit, doesn't make it any less cheesy) has the side benefit of actually making it easier to mount my bike rack. The rack's top straps have nearly a straight shot through that gap to their anchor points, whereas they pressed down pretty hard on the smaller OEM spoiler.

I don't expect that the wing itself makes nearly as much difference as the suspension I put on (Mugen Sports kit with an RSX Type-S 19mm rear sway bar). I'm still thinking of changing to different sway bars, probably thicker in the rear and thinner in front, and a rear camber kit is on my to-buy list. But, as it is now, it still handles pretty damn good.

With the new wheels, I saved about 5 pounds on each one. That doesn't sound like much in terms of the whole car, but unsprung weight reduction is always a good thing -- it's like jogging in lightweight running shoes versus combat boots. Plus, they're an inch wider for a bit more grip, and an inch larger rim diameter for a bit less tire sidewall flex (but not so big that I'd have to worry about bending a rim on every pothole). And, yeah, I like how they look.

So, with suspension being pretty much set, motor modification is next. I may not do anything with the audio, because it sounds decent enough anyway, and I don't want to lose luggage space, add more weight, or draw thieves' attention (at least any more than I do already) with a nice aftermarket head unit. I've already got an adapter for my iPod, and that's good enough.

ANYWAYS, I don't think I need to justify anything that I've done to my Civic. I wanted to illustrate that the mods were planned with function in mind, and the additional style/individuality is merely a byproduct. That red one is just as embarrassing to me as it is annoying to some of you.
ast3r3x

2004-10-09, 10:28

No, beside your sweet "wing" (hate when people call it that too!) that black civic isn't bad at all. I like the dual exhaust and it looks pretty nice. I'd have to drive it to tell if I like it or not, the front is too slanty/curey, like a focus.

I don't have my own car, and drive an '88 buick regal custom so I wouldn't mind the civic of course

My parents were so kind to let me drive the buick they got for just shitty town errands while they drive the nice explorer...but I'm not bitter though
BarracksSi
BANNED

2004-10-09, 10:41

Quote:
No, beside your sweet "wing" (hate when people call it that too!) that black civic isn't bad at all. I like the dual exhaust and it looks pretty nice. I'd have to drive it to tell if I like it or not, the front is too slanty/curey, like a focus.
I call it a "wing" because, well, that's technically that's what it is, with its own leading edge and inverted airfoil profile. It's definitely not like those bigass aluminum pieces of crap that are littering the streets. The stock USDM lip I'd put in the category of "spoiler", as is the extended version that Honda put on the Type-R (which would have been worse for the bike rack anyway).

The dual exhaust is stock, and I'll probably leave it on there. It sounds nice, not loud or raspy, and others have found that it flows really well, comparable to a test pipe.

Every once in a while, I'd catch a glance of a Focus and think that I'm seeing another Si. Then I see what it really is, and think, "Aw, $#!%, that's just a damn Focus! *grumble grumble*" Oh well. I like mine better anyway.