User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Can someone explain the current state of Microsoft Office to me?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can someone explain the current state of Microsoft Office to me?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 10:33

My Dad will be getting a new Mac mini soon (replacing his old 15" MacBook Pro...don't ask how old, let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ).

He does use Office (Word, mostly), so he'll certainly need a newer version than the old yellow box "home/student"(?) (on disc) version he has.

I see where they've gone to the subscription model too, but I think I remember Ken saying that a standalone, one-time home-oriented version of Office is available as well for ~$150.

What's the basic differences/run down?

He doesn't use Outlook and he really doesn't use Excel either.

Do they even sell Word as a separate product for those who just write?

What's the best bet for someone like him (72, retired, likes to write, isn't all that concerned with layout/formatting as much as just basic word processing. If Word is only available as part of the Office suite, which take on that is the "best"? The ongoing subscription, or the "buy and once and just use it as long as possible"? Does the "one-time purchase" version get updates? For how long?

Sorry, I know next-to-nothing about Office (been using the Apple version for well over a decade for any of those Office-y type tasks).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-06, 10:57

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/micr...ot:overviewtab
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 11:01

How did I not see that? I was all over Microsoft’s site last night (via phone). Thank you.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-06, 11:01

I hate sending anyone to Amazon, but here you go.

Buying direct from MS is more expensive, and they try really hard to corral you into 365.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 11:54

Yeah, that’s what I was after. It’s over $200 from Microsoft. For his needs, it should be fine.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-06, 11:56

It's the full version of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. It will be fine.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 12:11

One final question before I present all this to him later on this evening...

This one-time purchase version...what's the update situation on it?

I figure, like the Adobe Creative Cloud stuff, doing the Office subscription thing ensures you've always got the latest 'n' greatest version(s) of the stuff you're paying for.

If he gets this other version, will it receive security/bug/improvement point updates as well for some time? Is it seen as a "separate" thing altogether by Microsoft, where it gets its own updates specific to it for a couple of years, but, at some point, a whole new version will get released and either you buy that outright (or pay a small upgrade fee to movie up)?

I just wasn't sure how this standalone version was supported, update/improvement-wise, as the months roll on.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Part of the problem with him (and my Mom) is that they bought all this stuff (quicken 2007, Word for Home and Students, Printshop 2, etc.) 7,000 years ago (32-bit, disc-only, etc.) upon getting their first round of Macs (2006-2010 timeframes for both) and now, with new Macs (or updating their macOS) they're having to step up and make 10-15 year leaps on their software. I finally got Mom squared away last week, so I guess I'm about to wade into those waters with him. But he's only got one real third-party app (Office/Word) he uses (where Mom had 3-4).

I'm trying to stress to both "on this go-around, let's keep things updated, even if it means you might have to spend $50-75 every few years to do so...let's not, in 2032, still be using these 2021-2022 versions of all your stuff, please?" They both hate change/new stuff, so you can imagine the struggle it's been (and will be).

But I have to believe that incremental changes in Office, Quicken, etc. every couple of years is less jarring than going from something created in 2008-2010 and then using the latest 2021ish version...Mom made a 15-year leap in Quicken overnight, and, naturally, wasn't happy that it all "looks and feels" different.

Well, yeah...I'm sure it does! So let's not repeat that...it's a lot of work/hassle for me too, chasing all this stuff down, trying to explain why Big Sur and Monterey aren't going to install/run software released 15 years ago, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-04-06 at 12:23.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-06, 12:20

There is no longer an "upgrade" path for MS Office. You have to buy any new version, unless you subscribe to 365. However, MS does provide security updates until they get sick of doing so. I think they still do updates for Office 2011.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 12:24

Okay. I'll make him aware of that.

If he doesn't opt for the one-time purchase version, I guess Office 365(?) is what he's looking at?

Good grief, the entire planet has gone to subscriptions...software, TV, etc. Can I just go buy some McNuggets this afternoon, or do I have to pay Ronald $6.99/month for the privilege?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-06, 12:29

I think it's $4.99. It is McDonalds, after all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-06, 12:50

Dare I ask if he's open to just using Pages?

I ask because it really does depend on his uses but Pages is free. I wouldn't go as far as trying to get him to try OpenOffice or such simply due to polish.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-06, 13:07

Pages is great if you don't "rely" on Word, whereby "rely" I mean, "Don't want to try anything new."

I use Pages. No use for that other bloated thing.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 14:20

Oh, I fully get it. I've used Pages for well over a decade. I had Office X(?) on PowerBook G4 for about 27 minutes, way back in the early 2000's. Don't need it, never used it. Jumped on iWork.

For just writing, he probably could use Pages. That was on my little outline of stuff to tell him about. But maybe he loves Word, I don't know.

I've gotten pretty good at Pages over the years. It's a lot of "discovery" (things seem tucked away/hidden).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-04-06, 14:57

He may also be interested in more office like open source projects like Libra Office. Best part is $0.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-06, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
He may also be interested in more office like open source projects like Libra Office. Best part is $0.
Yeah, but the high maintenance crowd are a pain in the ass when it comes to $0 software.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 15:24

Yeah, I wanna install it and forget it. I can't be fielding calls all day about this and that. Just put on what he's used to, has used for decades, etc.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-06, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
One final question before I present all this to him later on this evening...

This one-time purchase version...what's the update situation on it?
It's supported until October 2026.

Quote:
If he gets this other version, will it receive security/bug/improvement point updates as well for some time?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it seen as a "separate" thing altogether by Microsoft, where it gets its own updates specific to it for a couple of years, but, at some point, a whole new version will get released and either you buy that outright (or pay a small upgrade fee to movie up)?
Yes, but I think there are no upgrades. So, in late 2026, you're expected to buy a new version at full price.

Quote:
But I have to believe that incremental changes in Office, Quicken, etc. every couple of years is less jarring than going from something created in 2008-2010 and then using the latest 2021ish version...Mom made a 15-year leap in Quicken overnight, and, naturally, wasn't happy that it all "looks and feels" different.
Right.

Arguably the biggest overhaul was Office 2011, when they added the Ribbon to the Mac version. Afterwards, there have been visual refreshes and certainly feature additions, but nothing quite as massive of a change — with the exception of Outlook, which has recently had a change so major that you can still switch to the old UI if you prefer (and because the new one doesn't yet have all features back).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-12, 23:33

Well, Microsoft Word just ate a document that I spent several hours working on a few nights ago. I had really made some progress. Was really in the groove. It was a significant update to the document and now it's all gone. I have tried all the methods of finding temporary files and such, but it's just gone.

I saw this happen a few times previously on my Mac Mini, where I would catch the file suddenly being named something temporary, and saving in a temporary folder through NO direct action of my own.

The software has been acting stable for the past six months so I thought that was behind me, but now I am walking away and will re-approach this document in a week or two when my anger has faded.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-13, 07:15

I've really gotten away from using Word over the last 5-6 years. Nearly everything I do is on Google Docs now.

Having an always updated document, no matter what computer I'm using, it's such a game changer. I still get word docs assails, but I never go to start a document using Office.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

2022-09-13, 08:46

My experience with having Word (in OneDrive/SharePoint) or Pages (in iCloud Drive) documents across multiple computers has been fine as of late, too.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-13, 09:55

Word will always save if you use OneDrive with it. So you get 5GB free with any MS account so you could use it with Word and not have it lost in such cases again.

I try to avoid MS Office when I can though and generally use Apple's office apps.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-13, 12:25

Yep. I'm going to slide that switch.