User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

hot corner freeware that i can't uninstall!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
hot corner freeware that i can't uninstall!!!
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-09-17, 01:57

i've always liked to think that i am a knowledgeable mac user. but in this case i am just stupid.

i think it was about 4 years ago i must have installed some piece of freeware that visually marked my hot corners.

Example:

i forgot about it. over the years it just transfered from one mac to the next via the firewire startup transfer thingy. i grew to thinking it was built into the system. then my girlfriend got a mac and i noticed she was using hot corners but the ANNOYING ICON WASN'T THERE!!!

then i remembered that i installed something. DUH! i think i'm screwed because i've searched every mod site i know of and can't find the haxie or the uninstaller. i've searched google, everywhere. i even made finder show invisibles and looked for something myself to no avail.

please help!!!

[nate]

Last edited by nato64 : 2005-09-17 at 02:06.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-17, 02:14

Have you checked Activity Monitor?
nato64

2005-09-17, 02:15

i wouldn't know what should be there or not :-/

i'll keep looking
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-17, 04:11

Well, you can't very well to expect us to help you track it down when you won't even try to take the most direct course of action: looking at all the processes that are running.

Seriously! Heck, I'll even start off by pointing you to a list that will immediately eliminate 99% of the processes that you don't recognize: Mac OS X: What Are All Those Processes?

In Activity Monitor, switch to the All Processes view. Scroll through the list of processes and mentally mark off the ones that were on the aforementioned page. What's left should be your corner thing! Most likely it'll even have an app icon next to it, making it easier to identify among the faceless system processes.

If you're really not sure what's what, just copy the list here and we'll pick it apart for you.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-17, 04:28

Strange.
I have a hot corner as well, marked by a similar widget. I always thought it was part of Tiger, because that's when it appeared for the first time.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
nato64

2005-09-17, 04:31

i tried looking at that list and there were a lot of stuff that i had running that wasn't on there (besides current apps). i quit any that weren't on the list but nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
Strange.
I have a hot corner as well, marked by a similar widget. I always thought it was part of Tiger, because that's when it appeared for the first time.
interesting. it came back to me in tiger just because i started using hot corners again. then i realized they're not a part of the system because my girlfriend's PB doesn't have them nor when i create a new user.
nato64

2005-09-17, 04:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Well, you can't very well to expect us to help you track it down when you won't even try to take the most direct course of action: looking at all the processes that are running.

Seriously! Heck, I'll even start off by pointing you to a list that will immediately eliminate 99% of the processes that you don't recognize: Mac OS X: What Are All Those Processes?

In Activity Monitor, switch to the All Processes view. Scroll through the list of processes and mentally mark off the ones that were on the aforementioned page. What's left should be your corner thing! Most likely it'll even have an app icon next to it, making it easier to identify among the faceless system processes.

If you're really not sure what's what, just copy the list here and we'll pick it apart for you.
i couldn't find it (see previous post). what's weird is that is seems to be built-in with system preferences. when i activate a hot corner, it appears. when i don't, it's not there. its especially annoying to watch dvds.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-09-17, 07:58

It could be one of those built-in features that was never officially exposed. Somebody found it and made a utility app that turned it on. Just a guess. If this is the case, you're not going to find a process running, you'll need to find out how to un-set the unexposed setting that's making OS X show that indicator.

Ugh.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-09-17, 08:00

Have a look over at macosxhints.com, it's the kind of thing they're into.
nato64

2005-09-18, 21:43

i can't find it in there :-/

maybe i should just make myself a new user and transfer everything over - a clean start.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-09-18, 22:17

I've seen this before... but sadly I cannot remember where. Have you ever used tinker tool are anything from unsanity (haxies)?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-18, 22:21

Found it. I win!

Go into your Terminal and enter this command:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-showcorners -bool false

And then:

killall Dock

It's a built-in feature that, as you guessed, marks the active corners. You probably enabled it with something like TinkerTool or OnyX or one of the other thousand apps that set hidden defaults values.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-18, 22:22

weird, i looked all over the net and found nothing.

when you make a new user, would there be a way to check the system prefs that exist for a new user vs. the prefs that exist for your user, see if you can find the change.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
nato64

2005-09-18, 22:22

Yay!!!!! Omg thank you so much Brad... you're the man
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-18, 22:26

well you just had to show me up, huh?

well :P on you.
nato64

2005-09-18, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Found it. I win!

Go into your Terminal and enter this command:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-showcorners -bool false

And then:

killall Dock

It's a built-in feature that, as you guessed, marks the active corners. You probably enabled it with something like TinkerTool or OnyX or one of the other thousand apps that set hidden defaults values.

it worked. thank you so much Brad! whats interesting is that i use TinkerTool currently and it doesn't have any option like that. maybe it was a different program. the problem was that it was so long ago it might not be around anymore.

i still might make a new user because right now i just created a new user for my filmmaking so that it doesn't have any background processes going and i can just log into that and be efficient as possible. i noticed it worked so much cleaner and nice. so i might just transfer everything over. is that a good idea considering i might have random files around that are 5 years old?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-19, 01:13

Thanks Brad. I've gotten rid of mine as well.