"Get ready for iPhone"
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-12, 11:15

Just got my official "Get ready for iPhone" email from Apple:

Quote:

iPhone arrives on June 29. iPhone features an amazing mobile phone, is the best iPod we've ever created, and puts the Internet in your pocket with desktop-class email, web browsing, searching, and maps. And iPhone makes it all easy to use with its revolutionary multi-touch user interface. iPhone syncs with your PC or Mac just like an iPod, so organizing your content now will help you start calling, texting, emailing, surfing, listening, and watching even faster when you get your iPhone. Here are a few suggestions to help you get ready:

CONTACTS
Making a call with iPhone is as simple as tapping a name. You won't need to re-enter all your contacts because iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer—Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC. If you keep your contacts on the web using Yahoo! Address Book, iPhone can sync with them, too. To get ready for iPhone, organize your contacts in one of these applications and make sure they're up to date with the latest phone numbers and email addresses. If you don't have contacts on your computer, don't worry. You can still enter them directly into iPhone.

CALENDAR
Using its built-in calendar, iPhone lets you check your appointments with the flick of a finger. iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer—iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC—just like it does with your contacts. If you don't already use one of these applications to manage your appointments, now is a great time to start, so you'll be ready to sync when your iPhone arrives. If you choose not to use a calendar program, that's OK. You'll be able to enter appointments directly into the iPhone calendar.

EMAIL
iPhone is the first phone to come with a desktop-class email application. So now your phone can display rich HTML email with graphics and photos alongside the text. iPhone will even fetch your latest email every time you open the application and automatically retrieve your email on a set schedule, just like a computer does. iPhone works with the most popular email systems—including Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail. If you're not already using one of these services, now would be a great time to get an account. iTunes will make email setup on iPhone a breeze by automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC. Don't worry if you're not on one of these email services; iPhone also works with almost any industry-standard POP3 and IMAP email system.

PHOTOS
iPhone has a 2-megapixel camera and a gorgeous 3.5-inch display, so it's a great way to enjoy and show off your digital photos. iPhone uses iTunes to sync your photos from iPhoto on a Mac or Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photoshop Album, or any picture folder on a PC. You can carry thousands of photos on iPhone, but you can start by creating an album or two with 50 to 100 of your favorite photos, so that when you first sync your iPhone, you'll be ready to quickly show off some of your best shots.

MUSIC AND VIDEO
iPhone is the best iPod ever. Its beautiful, 3.5-inch widescreen display allows you to easily enjoy the music, TV shows, and movies you have in your iTunes library. If you already use iTunes, you can start getting ready for iPhone by creating a playlist of a few hundred of your favorite songs. If you don't have iTunes, now is a good time to download it and start a music and video library. That way, when you sync your iPhone with iTunes, you'll be able to take your favorite music, as well as a few of your TV shows and movies, with you wherever you go.

iTUNES ACCOUNT
To set up your iPhone, you'll need an account with Apple's iTunes Store. If you already have an iTunes account, make sure you know your account name and password. If you don't have an account, you should set one up now to save time later. To set up an account, launch iTunes, select the iTunes Store, and click the Sign In button in the upper right corner of iTunes. Sign in and you're ready to go.

Damn you, Steve Jobs ... I feel like a kid at Christmas.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-12, 12:06

nice touch with the "pick up iphone" appointment. hehe
DJ-Steve-Jobz

2007-06-12, 13:24

Cool e-mail, two weeks and a bit now.

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-06-12, 13:39

I think the need for iTunes to do all the syncing is weird, even if it does make technical sense.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-12, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
nice touch with the "pick up iphone" appointment. hehe
Yeah, but kinda weird and useless if you really think about it: if you haven't picked the phone up, how could you have entered in an appointment to do so? And if you have picked it up, you obviously already have it and the appointment reminder isn't needed.

See? Makes NO sense at all!

I know, I know...marketing and "being cute" trumps reality/common sense.

But it does look nice. It's going to be hard to resist, I have to say.

The past several months I've really gotten into iCal, and planning my days and life out a bit better. But since I no longer use my 5G iPod, all that info just sits on my Mac. Having it on my phone, which would always be with me, suddenly makes all that "click" and become instantly useful to have (because I don't carry an iPod around with me everywhere I go, like I do a phone).
neiltc13

2007-06-12, 13:43

It frustrates me that they keep touting this thing as having a "widescreen" display. I believe that term should only be used to describe devices with a 16:9 (or at a push, 16:10) display and iPhone has neither.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-12, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, but kinda weird and useless if you really think about it: if you haven't picked the phone up, how could you have entered in an appointment to do so? And if you have picked it up, you obviously already have it and the appointment reminder isn't needed.

See? Makes NO sense at all!

I know, I know...marketing and "being cute" trumps reality/common sense.

Actually, no. "Pick up iPhone" would be an item in the user's iCal application, which would be synced to iPhone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-12, 14:02

True. Sorry, forgot.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-12, 14:41

Quote:
True. Sorry, forgot.
I was only giving you a hard time.

As much as it's a little scary how much I'm looking forward to this damn thing, it seems like it's going to be great to have such functionality in one device (not to mention a natural back-up system for emails, contacts, etc.).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-12, 15:03

I agree. If the price of the item itself (and/or some weirdo, forced data/calling plans) doesn't sink this, it stands to be...well, the iPod of cell phones.

Who wouldn't want one? The hardcore geeks and tech monkeys will always find something to not like (just like those who won't buy an iPod because it doesn't support some obscure, silly-ass audio format that 18 people on the planet use). But for 90% of us, the iPhone is nicer than anything we could ever imagine. And it doesn't seem as though they could've made it any more straightforward and simple to understand and use! Can't wait to see one in real life and try it out.

Give me that interface and design over one of those "smart phones" with 36 tiny buttons all over it...

Still so much we don't know, in terms of pricing and contracts and stuff like that. I'm hoping it comes out with some sort of rebate/discount...who in the hell has $599 to throw on something like this? I'll gladly sign a multi-year contract with Cingular (AT&T) as I'm with them already and happy, if it knocks a few bucks off this thing.

As much as I want to, I won't be one of those June 29 buyers...I'll make myself wait at least 2-4 weeks, I think, just to see what's what and hear some "real world" reviews and opinions. But barring any massive Zune-like "WTF?!? This thing sucks!" fallout/response, I see me having one come August.

I'm hoping, in the weeks leading up to its release, more concrete info regarding specs, pricing, plans, technical details, etc. make their way out (officially, via Apple and AT&T, not the usual bullcrap, unbelievable "rumors").
JayReding

2007-06-12, 15:37

On the other hand, a RAZR was about the same price without a contract when it was released. The iPhone is only more expensive because there's no subsidy attached -- and for what it is, $499-$599 isn't an extravagant price.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-12, 16:11

yeah I mean when you think about it...

smartphone (with no rebates) = $300-500
ipod = $300

obviously you sacrifice some features of both (office functionality, huge hard drive for example), but to have both in one device... this thing's practically a bargain! (just kidding... but it's not a ripoff either).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-12, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayReding View Post
On the other hand, a RAZR was about the same price without a contract when it was released. The iPhone is only more expensive because there's no subsidy attached -- and for what it is, $499-$599 isn't an extravagant price.
Actually, I remember when the RAZR was $599 with contract. It seems strange now, considering everybody has one. But yeah - price didn't exactly kill the RAZR (although the RAZR's price dropped faster than the iPhone's will).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
DJ-Steve-Jobz

2007-06-13, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
It frustrates me that they keep touting this thing as having a "widescreen" display. I believe that term should only be used to describe devices with a 16:9 (or at a push, 16:10) display and iPhone has neither.
Ah, I was meaning to ask that question, because I didn't think the iPhone has widescreen display, I mean compare the iPhone wideness to like the PSP wideness.

Anyway, anyone noticed that on the new shots on the Apple site, the screen doesn't look nearly half as hidden as it used to. (ie, u can see the border of the screen).

Also, the new Technology videos are great,

DJ Steve Jobz---EP Available Summer '07
Jason
Veteran Member

2007-06-14, 07:49

Yeah, us Brits will probably get ours around Christmas. wtf!!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-06-14, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yeah, us Brits will probably get ours around Christmas. wtf!!
You mean Christmas 2008 of course. . . .
JK47

2007-06-14, 13:20

If you are planning to get an iPhone on the 29th (and you're getting it from an Apple store), how early do you plan on getting in line?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-14, 13:42

Something I've been meaning to ask: do you all truly believe there will be a "rush"/long line situation on June 29? I have a hard time believing for a couple of reasons:

1. The price ($599 isn't a $249 iPod or $129 major OS update)...that alone, even for folks already with Cingular/AT&T, is a big hurdle to overcome.
2. If you manage to get past the price, you still have that thing of Cingular/AT&T-only; people can stand in line to buy a new iPod or new OS (like I did with Panther and Jaguar years ago) because they've got the Macs to use it on already. But are there a) enough Cingular/AT&T customers around to begin with, and b) are there enough of those people who are going to lay out the money for this on launch day? Really?

I don't know, I'm asking.

I'm truly not expecting - I can't even imagine, at this point - mass defections from Verizon and other carriers either. Not yet, anyway. Maybe in a year or two when this product, like the iPod, hits its second- or third-generation "sweet spot" and enough real-world reviews, info and word-of-mouth has been out there to make this thing seem like the phone to have.

But June 29? Two weeks from now? Lines and mass frenzy?

Sorry, I don't see it. I really don't. It's a completely different situation than other Apple products (for the reasons given above)...the price and people's current cell phone situation make it a much finer, "limited target" than those looking to buy a new iPod or Mac OS.

Maybe I'm judging this completely wrong, but I never imagined a big "launch day hysteria" situation. I think it'll sell in nice numbers, no doubt. I expect strong, brisk sales. Especially in certain parts of the country (New York, L.A. and the Bay Area).

But I think pickleheads who opt to show up at the Apple or AT&T store at 3:30am need to consider getting a life. They're going to feel silly when 10:00am rolls around and it's them and four other people "scrambling" for one.

apple007
BANNED

2007-06-14, 13:49

I think there will be some lines in some of the more well-off areas, if only because Cingular/AT&T is already the country's biggest cellular carrier and even 1% of their customers would be a large number of iPhone users.

Otherwise, I mostly agree: I don't see many people paying early-termination fees to jump to iPhone on June 29. Between the standard $300-plus termination fee, the $500 to $600 iPhone and the new service plan, that's easily a $1,000 day at the AT&T store. That's a lot of dough, even for hipsters.

(Personally, I'll be there on June 29, but I've been going month-to-month with Verizon for years in anticipation of iPhone. I have to believe I'm in a very small minority in that regard.)
Wrao
Yarp

2007-06-14, 13:50

While I agree with the overall skepticism regarding big lines and selling out. We have had many months to prepare for the release. That is many months for interested consumers to finish up their cell phone contracts(or opt out in some way or another) and many months for interested consumers to save up for an iPhone.

On the subject of lining up for product releases in general though, I think that in the past couple years, that has become more popular to do, I am not sure why, but more people seem willing to do it today than ever before, even if it is completely stupid to do so.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-14, 13:54

One other note: If the rumors of NO insurance for iPhone are true, that's an additional impediment. I've always carried cellular insurance, even for my $200 non-smartphone/non-PDA Motorola and Samsung phones.

As much as I'm looking forward to iPhone, I'm more than a little nervous about spending $600 on a cell phone when it could be dropped, stolen, etc., a week later without insurance. The lack of insurance, if true, is basically like Apple and AT&T saying, "Hey, we love all you fanboys, but we think you're a bunch of fraudsters and scammers, so no insurance for you."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-14, 13:58

It's covered and promoted. I never used to notice it for the "Friday after Thansgiving" shopping free-for-all.

But somewhere over the past decade or so, it's become a stock, expected "big story". So now you get the news footage of idiots bundled up in 11° F Wal-Mart and Best Buy parking lots at 4:00am Friday morning (most still in a tryptophan stupor that has disabled their clue-having response mechanism) in preparation for trampling, rib-kicking and ball-stepping their fellow man to they can get a DVD player for $3.83 or whatever.

That and early, Thursday midnight movie releases...we can't wait for anything anymore, can we?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-14, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
One other note: If the rumors of NO insurance for iPhone are true, that's an additional impediment. I've always carried cellular insurance, even for my $200 non-smartphone/non-PDA Motorola and Samsung phones.

As much as I'm looking forward to iPhone, I'm more than a little nervous about spending $600 on a cell phone when it could be dropped, stolen, etc., a week later without insurance. The lack of insurance, if true, is basically like Apple and AT&T saying, "Hey, we love all you fanboys, but we think you're a bunch of fraudsters and scammers, so no insurance for you."
You seem to take rumors as truth. That's got to be a hard life.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-14, 14:21

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/14/i...ted-in-public/
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-14, 14:44

Wow, it looks so small and compact. For some reason, the official Apple PR/stock photos just make it seem "big". I have to keep reminding myself that it's basically the size of a 30GB iPod, just a tad taller. When I realize that (and remember what all it does, and how it does it), I smile and get all excited again.

It'll be nice to start seeing these "out in the wild", in the hands of people actually using them, to get an even better sense of their size and scale. That pic from the link above, the thing looks really nice and compact...and because most of the face is all screen, that's just the best of all words...small device, but large-as-possible display.

Smart thinking, Apple. Way to make all those "smart phones" (with keyboards and buttons taking up one-half of the face) look like "yesterday's news".

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-14, 14:45

The guy using it is hot. Accidentally leaked....sure.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-14, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
You seem to take rumors as truth. That's got to be a hard life.
Not really. Thanks for the concern, though.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-06-14, 15:20

Quote:
Wow, it looks so small and compact. For some reason, the official Apple PR/stock photos just make it seem "big". I have to keep reminding myself that it's basically the size of a 30GB iPod, just a tad taller.
Really? I think it looks absolutely tiny on Apple home page.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-06-14, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
If you had really huge hands, you could make a lot of money as a hand model for electronic devices.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-14, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Yeah, in that shot it does look nice and small (with the hand holding it). That's nice looking!

I guess the ones where it's posing on its own, the scale is off for me...they're zoomed in so tight (to better show the icons, I'm sure), I just get it into my head that it's larger than it really is.

I'm watching those iPhone demo animations again and I get all torqued-up...

I love how they've made it such a "no brainer" type of device...anyone could pick it right up and learn it. I know someone with one of those Treo(?) things, and she probably uses about 1/10 of its capabilities and features, just because it is such a cumbersome, needlessly complex pain to deal with.