AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Will AT&T offer same trade-in Policy on iPhone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will AT&T offer same trade-in Policy on iPhone
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-06-15, 09:18

I have a Blackberry with Cingular/AT&T now, using it in a corporate setting with BB server for wireless syncing with Outlook.

In past, when you sign up for new service with CIngular, you have a 30-day trade in policy if you are not happy. Now AT&T is requiring a 2-year renewal with the new iPhone even for existing customers. I have a whole host of question on how I am going to get the iPhone to work with our Outlook at work, but until I get one and play with it, I am not sure if it is going to work or not.

So I was thinking, why not get one, play with it for 30-days, and if I am unsatisfied, turn it back in for a full refund (less stocking fee). (I assume I will just take my BB SIMM card and drop it into the new iPhone??? If i turn it back in, put SIMM card back into my BB and no harm/no foul.) Or is this going to be one of those "you buy it/you own it for life" sales with the new iPhone?

Any one have a thought.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-15, 09:46

Good question. If I had to bet, I'd say there will be no 30-day trial period, for a few different reasons, but I guess we'll know in 14 days, 7 hours and 16 minutes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
... I guess we'll know in 14 days, 7 hours and 16 minutes ...
This was just a little humor. I'm not really that big of a fanboy.

Last edited by apple007 : 2007-06-15 at 09:46. Reason: Posts merged
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 10:25

I think it's a little premature to speculate about minor policies when we don't even know what the plans will cost.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-15, 10:58

Isn't that odd? I mean, not knowing what the plans may be with only two weeks to go? I'd think they've already had everything arranged out and are just ironing out the details right now?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I think it's a little premature to speculate about minor policies when we don't even know what the plans will cost.
I am guessing, though, that is will be the same data plan as you get now with the BB: $80/month for unlimited data (internationally, US only is I think $70) and 600 minutes.

apple007
BANNED

2007-06-15, 11:44

The speculation on the data plans has been in the $30 to $40 range, with many people saying $40 is on the high side.

If they try to go $80/mo., that might be enough to keep me with Verizon for now. $80 is more than most people's entire monthly cell plan. I know they can charge companies $80/mo. and get it, but for a phone only available on an individual plan? Seems hard to believe.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 11:47

Quote:
If they try to go $80/mo., that might be enough to keep me with Verizon for now. $80 is more than most people's entire monthly cell plan.
Your probably right but don't most plans with unlimited data charge a $49.95 PLUS the monthly phone bill? I would guess they might offer some limited data flow plans but that kind of defeats the point of the cool safari browser.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-15, 11:48

Cingular's AT&T's unlimited data for PDAs is $40/month. I imagine that the iPhone will have similar plans if not higher.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-15, 12:15

I'm not sure I understand why people are expecting special iPhone plans to begin with. There's no reason iPhone users can't just pick one of the 20 or more AT&T calling plans, and that leaves just the data aspect, which is already covered by at least half a dozen current options.

Further, I see no reason an iPhone data plan would be more than the $40 plans already in effect if a lot of web browsing, etc., will be on a WiFi connection rather than over AT&T's air. If I were Apple and AT&T, I'd be trying to sell as many $600 phones and new plans as possible instead of gouging people on data.

I agree the Safari browser is cool, but if AT&T's data rates are as slow as people seem to be saying, I'm guessing most people will do most of their browsing when on a high-speed WiFi connection, etc., rather than trying to download 800k web pages on a slow connection.
JK47

2007-06-15, 13:32

Does anyone know if a data plan is manditory with the phone?

What if I want to purchase only a calling plan and hop on wi-fi when I want internet access?
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-15, 13:58

Not sure where I read it, but I believe a data plan will be mandatory.
JK47

2007-06-15, 13:59

Quote:
Not sure where I read it, but I believe a data plan will be mandatory.
Is a data plan mandatory now for Blackberries?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-15, 14:13

I hope hope hope the iPhone works with the standard MEdia Max plans, but I kinda doubt it.

What might be interesting, though, is that there's been all sorts of apocryphal evidence over the last few months that AT&T might be bringing back the "mMode" brand - which really sounds a lot better than "MEdia Max."

"iPhone + mMode," anyone?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-15, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Does anyone know if a data plan is manditory with the phone?

What if I want to purchase only a calling plan and hop on wi-fi when I want internet access?
Data is "mediatory" on all PDA and smartphone devices. However, they currently don't enforce it other than at the time of ordering and stating service. I had to get the PDA connect plan with my 8125 but have since had it dropped to MediaNet unlimited at half the price.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
JK47

2007-06-15, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I had to get the PDA connect plan with my 8125 but have since had it dropped to MediaNet unlimited at half the price.
So I'm guessing that wasn't bound by the 2 year plan iPhone is bound with? Or are the data plans not bound by the 2 yr. contract?
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-15, 14:53

Usually, I don't think any aspect of the plan/options are bound for the two years; it just means you need to remain a customer for two years.

With iPhone, perhaps the data plan will be required as well, if it's part of the Apple-AT&T agreement.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-15, 14:54

Quote:
Is a data plan mandatory now for Blackberries?
nope. we just got a new pearl for my mom and my dad wanted to go over the plans before choosing which one... no email till we took it back and got the plan the next day.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-15, 14:58

Quote:
So I'm guessing that wasn't bound by the 2 year plan iPhone is bound with? Or are the data plans not bound by the 2 yr. contract?
No, as of now features aren't under the same contract as phone service is. Not to say this won't change with the changes made in the deal. Maybe you'll have to have data for visual voicemail.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.