User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

do i really need a macbook pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
do i really need a macbook pro?
random precision

2006-02-25, 19:05

as soon as i heard it was coming out, i made up my mind that i was going to get one. now that i'm about to place my order i'm having second thoughts. it's a little over my budget, so i'll be expecting something pretty spectacular. i don't think i'm a 'power user', although i would like something which is not going to be completely outdated after a year. i will probably dabble in photoshop and web page design, try djing, surf the net using a wireless network, etc. i will need my computer to be portable, reliable and quick for what i want to do.

should i go ahead and place an order for a macbook pro, wait for the intel ibook, or snap up a tried and tested powerbook 12", which i was going to go for before the macbook pro was announced, or another model? i don't want to wait too long to make my purchase, so the second generation intel models are not really an option.

any advise would be much appreciated!
ssdd108

2006-02-25, 19:26

This is really a question only you can answer.
jevau

2006-02-25, 19:28

if it's really over your budget, then you might consider a PowerBook. even though its awesome to have cutting edge technology, it sucks to be broke, and pretty much every piece of technology will become outdated at some point.

if you want to use photoshop, then take into consideration that it will not be going universal until early 2007 and you will either have to wait, or pay more when it comes out.

being a college student, i know how it is balancing money around, so i would just weigh how much you want to spend and how much you are willing to spend.if you know you can live with just a PowerBook (still a killer machine) then you can get the 12" and use the left over money on other studd like external hard drive, iSight, Wacom tablet... y'know, fun stuff. but if you are cool with spending the money on a MacBook, i'm sure it's price tag matches it's performance.
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-02-25, 20:36

Powerbook.

I bought a 15" 1.67 model last summer, bumped to 2GB, 128 VRAM and 100 GB HD.
Never looked back.

Nothing on the new MBP is that amazing, I reckon.
In any case, I don't belive the MBP's are the next 'real' laptop from Apple. I Reckon they are just some 'stop-gap' product.
Apple's next 'true' laptop is still somewhere down the road.
But that's a discussion for somewhere else, I guess.

Regards
VERSACE

2006-02-25, 20:37

random precision:

I'm in the same situation as you are. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference in performance between the 1.83 and 2.0 models? Is it really worth another 500 bucks? Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
tacvbo83

2006-02-25, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Powerbook.

I bought a 15" 1.67 model last summer, bumped to 2GB, 128 VRAM and 100 GB HD.
Never looked back.

Nothing on the new MBP is that amazing, I reckon.
In any case, I don't belive the MBP's are the next 'real' laptop from Apple. I Reckon they are just some 'stop-gap' product.
Apple's next 'true' laptop is still somewhere down the road.
But that's a discussion for somewhere else, I guess.

Regards

I do not agree with you. Everything is much better and faster than the powerbook. It will only need time for all programs to be Universal and BAM....MBP will sound even better. how about the built in iSight, brighter screen, magsafe...etc etc..but from what I woould suggest for random precision is to wait for the intel ibook which will probably come out in the next 3 months for sure and at an affordable price...
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-02-25, 21:11

I just mean that the machine is not really that ground-breaking in either speed or performance (in real word scenarios) in relation to the PB.
As for the design, it's just a PB isn't it?

Have a look at this too.

http://www.thrrrust.com/~pclark/blog...erjecting.html

I'm not saying the MBP isn't a great product, it just feels like a dry run for something else.

Last edited by Jason : 2006-02-25 at 21:21.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2006-02-26, 00:36

If you don't mind a 13" screen, it actually sounds like the MacBook (coming in a month or so, probably) might be what you're looking for. I would wait if you can.

I do not recommend getting a Powerbook currently, *unless* you're a heavy user of demanding apps that haven't been Universalized yet, and won't be for a little while (read as: pretty much all Adobe/Macromedia apps). The G4 is badly showing its age and limitations, and Intel 'Books are simply much faster -- in web browsing, using the OS, and using Universal apps. Not to mention nice extras like the brighter screen, Front Row, MagLock, and the built-in iSight.
jevau

2006-02-26, 01:14

i agree and disagree with Jason. i agree that the latest PowerBooks (and pretty much all PowerBooks) are still wonderful machines, but i can't deny the MacBooks are pretty damn cool. still assuming you're running on a budget, i'd weigh weather or not all the perks of the MacBook (iSight, front row, mag safe, etc) are worth the extra money to you. if you were planning on buying an iSight anyway or you really wanted to use it for media then the perks of the MacBook should appeal to you, but if you're really not going to use that stuff, save the money.

as for power and speed, yes the MacBooks are faster, but there are people still using Pismos in their daily lives, so what's wrong with a computer that was "cutting edge" just 2 months ago?

just go with your gut instinct!
OnStage

2006-02-26, 20:03

random,
If you have time the new 13" macbook looks pretty nice. If you don't, get a refurbed 15" PB 1.67 and go use it in the park! Seriousely, it's 1000 dollars cheaper than the 2ghz MBP that is posting all those cool benchmarks.
Now, I'd love a new MBP, especially if the adobe creative suite was native to it. But i don't have 1000 extra dollars.... There will always be someting new. ALWAYS!
my .02
john
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-26, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnStage
random,
If you have time the new 13" macbook looks pretty nice. If you don't, get a refurbed 15" PB 1.67 and go use it in the park! Seriousely, it's 1000 dollars cheaper than the 2ghz MBP that is posting all those cool benchmarks.
Now, I'd love a new MBP, especially if the adobe creative suite was native to it. But i don't have 1000 extra dollars.... There will always be someting new. ALWAYS!
my .02
john
What 13" macbook? There is none.

That said, the MBP is head and shoulders better than the current line of powerbooks. I've got the iMac and it's so much faster than my powerbook. I had the 1.33 ghz version, but I can't imagine that the 1.67 ghz version was that much faster.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-02-26, 21:46

The 13" MacBook is still a rumor.

I'm in a simialr situation, and I decided to buy myself the refurbished 15" 1.67 G4 PowerBook on Apple's online store, the one that's $1599 since it's the latest and greatest, only $50 more than the 1.5 plus a few improvements to it over that model.

The MacBooks are faster, but the PowerBooks aren't put to shame by them or anything. It's a good deal I think. Just my $1600 opinion (coming in two days!).
random precision

2006-02-27, 03:23

thanks for the replies. lots of food for thought.

a refurbished powerbook would be a very tempting option, but unfortunately this service doesn't appear to be available in europe.

a 13" macbook (and i realise this is only a rumour) would probably be more appealing as it's likely to be cheaper and will have the extra portability which would be a plus point for me. i think i'll wait a few weeks to see if one materialises.

reading about the reported problems has turned me away from the 15" macbook pro even more so. like i said in my initial post, for the money i'd want something spectacular. it seems that my need for a new computer has unfortunately coincided with a revision A release, which has added to my dilema.

i'd be interested to hear from any owners of the current 12" powerbook spec, as to how it performs and how happy/unhappy they are with it. i do like the 12" form, and if the rumours are true, the macbook is unlikely to come in such a portable format.
StevesMom

2006-02-27, 08:00

Quote:
a refurbished powerbook would be a very tempting option, but unfortunately this service doesn't appear to be available in europe.
The Apple Store sell off end-of-line and refurb kit every Wednesday on the UK Apple Store, not sure if this helps you. Again, in the UK, there are several places that will refurb and sell-on older PowerBooks. Here's one for example (not a recommendation, but I know people who've bought happily from them previously)

Rick: This is bad.
Evelyn: We've had bad before.
Rick: This is worse.
random precision

2006-02-27, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesMom
The Apple Store sell off end-of-line and refurb kit every Wednesday on the UK Apple Store, not sure if this helps you. Again, in the UK, there are several places that will refurb and sell-on older PowerBooks. Here's one for example (not a recommendation, but I know people who've bought happily from them previously)
many thanks for the link and advice. unfortunately i'm in spain, so won't be able to take advantage
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2006-02-28, 08:36

I definitely recommend holding off for 4-6 weeks (if you can). The MacBook may be still only "rumored," but as rumors go, it's a quite a solid one; it's undeniable that a 13" MacBook (very likely redesigned, and v. likely w/ all of the MBP's new features) is coming soon, and almost certainly in the educational buying period (early to mid-spring).