Yeah, so, uh...Cram and Jam?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yeah, so, uh...Cram and Jam?
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 11:35

Now that the MacBook has come, and we've already begun speculating about Revision B, I'm beginning to wonder when Apple's Cram and Jam (I refuse to call it "Student Union") promotion will start.

I've totally sold one of my friends on the MacBook, but I'm telling him to wait until he can get a free iPod with it. When has Cram and Jam started in the past?

Oh, and how much do we think it's going to be? I have a feeling it might be $150 this year - enough to get a 1GB iPod nano (provided Apple doesn't upgrade the iPod nanos first). But has it always been $200?

I'm waiting for Cram and Jam, my friend is waiting for Cram and Jam, the world is waiting for Cram and Jam. How long will we have to wait?

EDIT: 2,200!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-05-20, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
How long will we have to wait?
as long as it takes
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-20, 12:30

I was told that it might not happen at all this year because they only did that to sell the computers when they weren't moving well. With all the new models they don't need to offer incentives for people to buy them. This makes perfect sense, however, I hope they do it anyways.
BenP

2006-05-20, 13:02

I believe all the "Cram and Jam" type rebates have been $200 back with the purchase of an Apple computer and an iPod. I believe these are the dates when it was offered:

August 27 (Wednesday)-September 27, 2003 (Saturday)
July 8 (Thursday) - September 25, 2004 (Saturday)
June 28 (Tuesday) - September 24, 2005 (Saturday)

Note that on September 8, 2003 the 3G iPod was released and on September 26, 2003 the 15" AlBook was released. On August 31, 2004 the G5 iMac was released. The iPod nano was released September 13, 2005, but AFAIK the promo didn't apply if you bought a computer and a nano. Anyway, it doesn't seem that new products influence the rebate and I think we can expect it in late June or early July. If I had to pick a date I'd say June 27, just because it's Tuesday.

Edit: 2005's Student Union rebate was $225.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 13:37

Really? I thought it was $200 - enough to get a free iPod mini.

But I won't argue.

Thanks, BenP!

MACleod, who did you ask? If it was a store person, they might have just told you that so that you would buy a MacBook or whatever now. I can't imagine Apple discontinuing Cram and Jam/Student Union after it's become such a staple of Apple's education program.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
BenP

2006-05-20, 14:15

Roboman, I could've sworn it was $200, too, but the promo is here and it says $225.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 15:24

Well, the PDF is screwy for me (stupid Windows) but that is a .ca site. You know...Canada.

According to Google, $200 USD = $224.420043 Canadian dollars.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-21, 00:42

Quote:
Really? I thought it was $200 - enough to get a free iPod mini.

But I won't argue.

Thanks, BenP!

MACleod, who did you ask? If it was a store person, they might have just told you that so that you would buy a MacBook or whatever now. I can't imagine Apple discontinuing Cram and Jam/Student Union after it's become such a staple of Apple's education program.
That was a response from someone on the forums here because I asked when it normally starts and when people thought it would start this year.
Partial
Stallion

2006-05-21, 17:00

Quote:
Now that the MacBook has come, and we've already begun speculating about Revision B, I'm beginning to wonder when Apple's Cram and Jam (I refuse to call it "Student Union") promotion will start.

I've totally sold one of my friends on the MacBook, but I'm telling him to wait until he can get a free iPod with it. When has Cram and Jam started in the past?

Oh, and how much do we think it's going to be? I have a feeling it might be $150 this year - enough to get a 1GB iPod nano (provided Apple doesn't upgrade the iPod nanos first). But has it always been $200?

I'm waiting for Cram and Jam, my friend is waiting for Cram and Jam, the world is waiting for Cram and Jam. How long will we have to wait?

EDIT: 2,200!

robo, you're a dork that was 30 posts in one day
Partial
Stallion

2006-05-21, 17:03

I actually believe it was 189.00 in american dollars last year. The exact price of an iPod mini after mail-in rebate.

anyone else miss the mini? I love my green!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-22, 14:43

Oh, that's right - there's a student discount on the iPods, too.

And yes, I miss the iPod mini. What generation did you have? The first green was my favorite color, but I didn't like it quite as much when they altered the hue for the second generation.

LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-05-22, 21:36

well i remember getting my 30 gb iPod for around 60 bucks after both my Cram & Jam rebate of $200 and my student discount were applied when buying an old iBook for school..... they retailed at the time for $299 i believe.
ZachPruckowski

2006-05-22, 21:53

argh. The catch is that an Amazon rebate on the MBP 1.83 expires May 31st, and we'll want to see the Apple deal to compare it to for my sister (since she'll inevitably want an iPod too)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-22, 22:06

The Amazon rebate, while nice, isn't a huge benefit for student buyers - it's $999 on Amazon or $1,049 (and any iPod discount) for Apple buyers. Throw in the fact that the Amazon MacBooks are expected to take forever to ship anyway, and I'd wait for the Student Union deal. Of course, there is always the outside chance that Apple won't do Student Union this year, but I think it's a relatively safe assumption. But of course, the choice is yours (or your sister's).

Partial
Stallion

2006-05-24, 13:19

I'm hoping they start it at the beginning of june! That would be swell!
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-01, 09:04

You know, with the iPod nanos rumored to get a capacity upgrade, I bet Cram and Jam this year is for a 2gb nano.

Or, they could bring down the 2gb model to the price of the 1gb, and make the 4gb model the price of the current 2gb, and add an 8gb to the lineup. That would be really unfortunate!!
BenP

2006-06-01, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
You know, with the iPod nanos rumored to get a capacity upgrade, I bet Cram and Jam this year is for a 2gb nano.
Well, it's never been for a particular iPod... you just get $200 back regardless of what iPod you purchased. Last year they marketed it as a "free iPod mini" because a mini was $200, but you could have bought a regular iPod and gotten the same $200 back.

Quote:
Or, they could bring down the 2gb model to the price of the 1gb, and make the 4gb model the price of the current 2gb, and add an 8gb to the lineup. That would be really unfortunate!!
Uhhh... why unfortunate?
neiltc13

2006-06-01, 11:51

I don't really think that Apple has an obligation to give anyone a discount, whether they're a student or not and whether they want an iPod or not. I don't think you should hold off your purchase based on some silly promotion they had last year - isn't your student discount enough?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-01, 11:57

The Cram and Jam aka Student Union promotion has been around for years, it's a hugely popular deal for Apple and everyone stands to benefit. I'd be surprised if Apple didn't offer it (or at least something like it) again. Apple wants back to school computer sales and the Cram and Jam deal provides Apple with a nice jump in school sales.

They're certainly not obligated to offer a discount or a deal like this, but they'd have to be just a little stupid not to.

Come waste your time with me
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-06-01, 12:05

I have people asking me about it everyday at the Penn State orientation. It's getting kind of annoying to say that I'm not sure if it is coming. I tell them that it has run for years and I would be surprised if it didn't begin sometime soon.

Hopefully it happens soon...

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
professorjay

2006-06-01, 12:26

Why is it so ridiculous to wait for this deal to save money? Especially college students, most of whom are already on a tight budget as it is! Some people do not have the same urgency to buy a computer and some people do not have the same financial situation as yourself.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-01, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
I don't really think that Apple has an obligation to give anyone a discount, whether they're a student or not and whether they want an iPod or not. I don't think you should hold off your purchase based on some silly promotion they had last year - isn't your student discount enough?
No.

it'd be unfortunate to those wanting to sell the iPod to pay off some of their computer, because a 1gb nano will net less than a 2gb nano. Thats what I mean. It'd be nicer for everyone else, but not us poor college students!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-06-02, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjay
Why is it so ridiculous to wait for this deal to save money? Especially college students, most of whom are already on a tight budget as it is! Some people do not have the same urgency to buy a computer and some people do not have the same financial situation as yourself.
Are you talking to me?
professorjay

2006-06-02, 10:18

No, that was in reference to neiltc13. I just recently finished college so I know that every dollar counts!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-03, 13:39

http://thinksecret.com/news/0606briefly.html

Looks good for next week, kids!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-03, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
It'd be nicer for everyone else, but not us poor college students!
I hope that statement was sarcastic.
neiltc13

2006-06-03, 14:06

$150 is hardly worth hanging on forever for.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-03, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I hope that statement was sarcastic.
No, it wasn't. I'd rather get a 200 rebate than a 150 dollar, as TS is reporting and I said would logically but unfortunately happen in this thread.

By giving us 200 off, we can sell our iPod for more money than the 150 dollar iPod, thus taking overhead off the cost of the computer.

They're clearing out the 1gb stock right now with this obviously. They'll drop the 2gb down to the 1gb price, put the 4gb at the former 2gb price, and introduce a 6gb/8gb at the 4gb price.
BenP

2006-06-03, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
$150 is hardly worth hanging on forever for.
Two days is hardly forever.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-03, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Two days is hardly forever.
This thread has been open for well over two weeks.