iPhone "Real and ready for production"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone "Real and ready for production"?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-05, 16:41

Just saw this get dug (digged?): http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2017

They describe the Apple phone as a "smart phone" and say that it has moved through the prototype stages and is either ready as a release candidate or nearing completion. Although it's unlikely that the phone will see the light of day much before the holiday season, anyone here ruling out a sneak peak or a cliff hanger on the 12th September event?
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-05, 17:09

An article I read on the topic suggested Apple might try and move in on the Cell phone market and become a major player like LG, Motorola and Samsung. It is an interesting possibility, except for the fact that Apple is unlikely to compromise their quality/design standards to make the cheap phones that fill in most of the Cell Phone market, and I don't really think the "high end" phone market is very mature or developed outside of business users, smart phones and other phones that could likely last a person for 4 or 5 years are superseded by plastic, cheap cameras and pay-for-ringtone services.

The Phone market moves really really fast, not even forward always. Companies are just always releasing new phones, sometimes they improve on the old phones, sometimes they exchange features for other features, sometimes they don't even really improve at all. It would be quite a challenge for Apple to release a phone with enough appeal and staying power to make a dent in the market.

Still though, Design is everything in the Cell phone world, and Apple takes their designs very seriously.

Well, I hope that Apple makes an impact in the phone market with well built, lasting, feature rich phones. I am getting frustrated with my current phone and service and am ready for a big change-up, so it'd be nice to see what Apple has to bring to the table.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-05, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
An article I read on the topic suggested Apple might try and move in on the Cell phone market and become a major player like LG, Motorola and Samsung. It is an interesting possibility, except for the fact that Apple is unlikely to compromise their quality/design standards to make the cheap phones that fill in most of the Cell Phone market, and I don't really think the "high end" phone market is very mature or developed outside of business users, smart phones and other phones that could likely last a person for 4 or 5 years are superseded by plastic, cheap cameras and pay-for-ringtone services.
I can't see them releasing a smart phone to be honest. I think that's an area of the market that they would probably like to get in on - as they do so successfully with their computers - but I'm not sure even Apple could get the interface of a smart phone down 100%, and I can't see Apple releasing a multitude of models of phone: I can see at most 2 versions, probably only different in terms of software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
The Phone market moves really really fast, not even forward always. Companies are just always releasing new phones, sometimes they improve on the old phones, sometimes they exchange features for other features, sometimes they don't even really improve at all. It would be quite a challenge for Apple to release a phone with enough appeal and staying power to make a dent in the market.
I think Apple would just nail the hardware and then work on the software as an ongoing project. I can't see them constantly switching their housings and screen dimensions and some models having joysticks and some having scroll wheels and all this malarkay: I think they'll release 1 model, and a 1.0 OS for it. Then they can update the software as and when they need to.

The key is that I think Apple recognise the need to embrace limitations on the market. They recognise the need for video conferencing while you're on the go, but they also recognise that you aren't expecting it to be as good as you would get from a high end digital camera or face-to-face conversation. They know there is an acceptable lower limit which people will pay good money for if it is done well.

I'm really fascinated to see what they do with the interface. I can't see them releasing OS X or anything even approaching it on the phone, and I expect to see a completely different kind of branding on it.
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 18:10

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks a phone from Apple is a really bad idea? They should ditch the idea and spend more time on the things they are best at. Why do we need a phone made by Apple? Apart from the styling what can they bring? Are they really going to 'reinvent' the mobile phone?
I try and look at it from different angles but i just don't get it. What happened to iTunes on that Motorola model from last year? Never hear anything about it now. Bad, bad idea. Given that Zune (or whatever its called) is on the way (not to mention Vista), Steve and co need to concentrate their efforts on the areas they already control. I'm tired of hearing about iPhones, iTablets etc.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-09-05, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Am I the only person on the planet that thinks a phone from Apple is a really bad idea? They should ditch the idea and spend more time on the things they are best at.
QFT.

Although, if Apple never diverged from computers, we'd never have the iPod (well, we probably would, but not from Apple). I think the phone market is already saturated though. The MP3 player market was in its infancy when the iPod was released.
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
QFT.

I think the phone market is already saturated though. The MP3 player market was in its infancy when the iPod was released.
That's what I wanted to say, but you put it a little better.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 19:24

Well I just dropped $350 on a Sony Ericsson W800i, so the timing would be about right

Oh well, I do love this SE.
JoshL75

Send a message via AIM to JoshL75 Send a message via Yahoo to JoshL75  
2006-09-05, 20:10

I've had numerous cell phones since 1996, so ten years, and never ever been completely happy with one. Theres definitely a market for Apple here.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-05, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL75 View Post
I've had numerous cell phones since 1996, so ten years, and never ever been completely happy with one. Theres definitely a market for Apple here.
Yes, but it will be a challenging market for Apple to break into. Because it is over-saturated, because cell phone are given away with plans, because people upgrade their cell phones every year or two, because a lot of cell phones are cheap and flimsy but they are packed with features and no one really notices that they aren't worth much. On top of that, the differences in providers, networks, restrictions or requirements some providers might want to impose...etc. It would certainly be tricky for Apple.

Of course, similar things were likely said about the iPod and the iTunes music store.

I don't even need Apple's phone to be all that special, feature wise, just make the thing sturdy, reliable, lightweight and practical.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-05, 21:03

I'd get it just because I'm not pleased with Windows Mobile 5 and don't like any Palm OS phones out there.
u2wedge

2006-09-05, 21:16

Considering that a cell phone has to be somewhat durable, I just cringe at the thought of dropping that iPhone or even putting it in a pocket. The iPod scratches just by looking at it, and this looks like it's made out of the same material. The phone, as pictured, just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Now make the phone with some sort of anondized aluminum case and I might consider it.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-05, 21:19

I don't really mind my scratched Cell Phone. I've dropped it plenty of times, it has scratches all along the bottom and sides. As long as its durable, scratches and the likes shouldn't really matter all that much, assuming it didn't cost hundreds of dollars.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-09-05, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2wedge View Post
The iPod scratches just by looking at it, and this looks like it's made out of the same material. The phone, as pictured, just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

1) what picture is that?

2) even from a picture, I'm not sure you could tell what material it was made with.
admactanium

2006-09-05, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I'd get it just because I'm not pleased with Windows Mobile 5 and don't like any Palm OS phones out there.
i'm with you on that. people who are saying apple wouldn't enter the phone market because it's mature and phones are plentiful and cheap don't understand the nature of the smart phone market. smart phone buyers are similar to ipod buyers and i suspect, while the margins might not be as good as ipods, the margins on treos is pretty good. not a fan of windows mobile at all. i just got a treo 700p. it's better by a small margin but still not great and not stable at all. if anyone could make a great phone os and hardware, it's apple. i know a number of people who have treo's, sonyericcsons, windows mobile, etc devices who would all switch to an apple phone if it had the same functionality.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-09-05, 22:49

The Treo's use a stylus for input, correct? Could this be what all those tablet designs have been about?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-09-05, 23:28

I just hope it's available for Verizon...
rasmits
rams it

2006-09-05, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I just hope it's available for Verizon...
So Verizon can completely butcher all of its features, and strip it of its OS in favor of their own crappy UI?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-05, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
So Verizon can completely butcher all of its features, and strip it of its OS in favor of their own crappy UI?
While that may be true maybe he just wishes it so that he can actually purchase and use the phone. For some people it is very difficult if not near impossible to change carriers.

But keep the dorky product attacks coming
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-05, 23:47

I would like a cell phone that doesn't suck, too.

What if...

Is there ANY way possible for any cell phone maker to build a phone that can be used with any other cell phone provider?

I'm not talking about contracts and legal obligations -- I'm asking if it's, well, "electronically possible". Can the hardware do it?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-05, 23:54

If a phone does come out, it will almost certainly be a GSM phone. Platform wars aside, CDMA is a no-win in the rest of the world.

People say that "Apple should stick with what Apple does best". What is that, exactly?

To my mind, what Apple does best is take a problem with half-assed solutions and puts out a solution so good and obvious, everyone's like "Well, duh. That's how it SHOULD work".

Part of that is good design but I think that good design flows from that ability rather than a separate "thing".

I have no doubt that if Apple were to enter the mobile phone market, they're going to succeed. Who's their competition?

Moto? They make the slickest *looking* phones but their UI is something that would make even MS blush.

LG? They've got some momentum, but they're largely in bed with verizon and it's a GSM world. And they've got absolutely no brand.

Samsung? Eh. Maybe with their recent design. I can't say that I've ever extensively used a Samsung phone so I don't know what they're like.

It seems that Nokia and SE are the behemoths of the sector, in terms of doing the hardware/software thing right. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Nokia were working together on the phone.

But I don't think that the mythical phone is coming out next week, that's for sure.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-05, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
I would like a cell phone that doesn't suck, too.

What if...

Is there ANY way possible for any cell phone maker to build a phone that can be used with any other cell phone provider?

I'm not talking about contracts and legal obligations -- I'm asking if it's, well, "electronically possible". Can the hardware do it?
There are 2 standards in the US: GSM (Cingular and T-Mobile and most of the rest of the world) and CDMA (Verizon and Sprint).

Any GSM phone can technically work with any other GSM network. It just has to be unlocked.

CDMA is a different story. They're pretty much locked to the provider.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-09-05, 23:59

If it does come out do not be surprised if they have some sort of Google-friendly features in it, especially considering recent turn of events.
bonzoa

2006-09-06, 01:07

apple hired a bunch of sony engineers and designers, so i'm guessing it's gonna have a psp-type look... you know, chrome, plexiglass, black, gloss... colored led's maybe. it'll also prob be on it's own network like those crappy virgin phones.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-09-06, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
QFT.

Although, if Apple never diverged from computers, we'd never have the iPod (well, we probably would, but not from Apple). I think the phone market is already saturated though. The MP3 player market was in its infancy when the iPod was released.
Maybe the phone market is already saturated, but it's huuuuuge. And Apple is a great brand.

Besides, you never know what unexpected but oh so logical twist Apple gives to it.

This is not to say that the iPhone isn't anything more yet than a rumor that has been there for ages.
u2wedge

2006-09-06, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
1) what picture is that?

2) even from a picture, I'm not sure you could tell what material it was made with.

looks like easily scratchable iPod plastic to me... assuming the pic's legit, that is.

Mikester

2006-09-06, 07:26

Please God let it have some kind of keyboard! Why do PDA manufacturers not realise we need a keyboard?*

*Blackberry, Treo, some iPaqs, i-mate k-jam, etc. obviously not included in this statement.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-09-06, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2wedge View Post
looks like easily scratchable iPod plastic to me... assuming the pic's legit, that is.

Ah, that old chestnut. That picture popped up some months ago in some thread on here... and I believe it was debunked as fake. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

EDIT: here's the discussion of it I found (starting on page 2), but I think there's more discussion in other threads, too.

Last edited by Engine Joe : 2006-09-06 at 08:31.
datapusher

2006-09-06, 09:18

if it's a simple phone,i'd have to ask why? because it's apple? because it's like an ipod nano that rings? i think apple is smarter than that.

i'd like to see this take on windows mobile's offerings and give mac users a true mobile offering where you can run ical, a condensed version of pages where you can take notes, a mobile version of Safari for web browsing, mobile dashboard for different widgets. you can also build an itunes style player for mp3s and videos, a mobile itunes music/movie store?

i think it seems really feature rich, but it would be smart for apple to...DUN DUN DUN...revive the newton.
Mikester

2006-09-06, 10:25

The rumours say that Apple have been redesigning this phone from the ground up. I would therefore suggest that this will not just be a phone that looks a bit like a Nano. I picture something more like the Blackberry - designed with particular functions in mind.

The Blackberry does one thing brilliantly, and that's email. It is designed for email, from the shape of the screen to the best thumb keyboard on any device. However, it does everything else slightly less well (i.e. phone, organiser, etc.). Every other PDA is just an electronic version of a Filofax - it does nothing particularly well and certainly most people do not use it for more than storing their diary and contacts and maybe making a few notes.

The Apple phone should, in my opinion, be a smartphone that is designed to tie in to the features of iLife that Apple have been pushing so much recently. Okay - iTunes is a given. However, Apple has been concentrating on the "electronic lifestyle" - so why not bring out a device that let's to interact with those lifestyle programmes? I'm thinking about updating your blogs, photocasts and podcasts on the move, all through the phone. Why not allow people to amend their iWeb pages whilst out and about - to add content whilst sitting on the bus, or post photos whilst still in the field.

And on the money front - as its a phone you will be able to buy music and movies whilst on the move. Sitting on the bus, ad you think of a song you want to hear, why not just go on the store and buy it? Then you can listen to it straight away.

This is what I want to see from a handheld device/smartphone from Apple. And I want to be able to make calls, check and send emails and listen to music - all the things I can do currently on my existing phone.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
omem

2006-09-06, 11:38

Imagine the iPhone shuffle. "Life, who is this?"