User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

802.11n in MacBooks?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
802.11n in MacBooks?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-13, 13:04

So ThinkSecret says yes. But they're not only full of it:
Quote:
ever since Think Secret reported on Apple's new wireless card in the MacPro in August, Apple has taken to removing markings on its wireless cards in any documentation that includes photos of the cards.
(Yes, right, I'm sure that's it.)

…no, they also don't make sense:
Quote:
Two variants of Atheros' AR5008E chipset exist: the 2.4/5 GHz AR5008E-3NX and the the 2.4GHz AR5008E-3NG. It is believed Apple is employing the latter [..]
MacBook/MacBook Pro: Atheros-based PCI Express card with 802.11a/b/g/ & 802.11n Draft 1.0 support (3 antennas)
So you're certain the MacBook uses 3 antennas, but you "believe" it uses a variant of the chipset that wouldn't actually make use of all three? Rrrright.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-13, 13:07

Pfft. Who reads ThinkSecret anymore? No offence to this sites twinning, but in my eyes its lost all credibility.

Picture Think Secret like firing a thousand bullets and eventually hitting the target.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-13, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Pfft. Who reads ThinkSecret anymore? No offence to this sites twinning, but in my eyes its lost all credibility.

Picture Think Secret like firing a thousand bullets and eventually hitting the target.
Yes, I know and agree. (I'm still subscribed to their feed, but end up just skipping its items most of the time. )

I just wanted to bring it up since, thus far, I don't believe it's been confirmed with the MacBooks indeed also come with 802.11n. Seems likely, but we don't really know yet, do we?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-13, 13:13

Its just as important that companies like Netgear and Linksys (and Apple for that matter) make N access points the norm, then the computer companies will have an incentive to actually produce N compatible stuff. Otherwise, its just a bit...pointless.
chucker

2006-11-13, 13:42

Well, there's always ad-hoc networking.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-13, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
So you're certain the MacBook uses 3 antennas, but you "believe" it uses a variant of the chipset that wouldn't actually make use of all three? Rrrright.
Are you implying the AR5008E-3NG doesn't use three antennae?

http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5008E-3NG.htm

Almost all MIMO devices use 3 antennae to deal with multipath reflections, and it has nothing to do with the absence of 5 GHz support.
chucker

2006-11-13, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Are you implying the AR5008E-3NG doesn't use three antennae?

http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5008E-3NG.htm

Almost all MIMO devices use 3 antennae to deal with multipath reflections, and it has nothing to do with the absence of 5 GHz support.
My bad. I did indeed assume that the additional antenna is primarily to allow for the two different frequencies.
Anthem

2006-11-13, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
My bad. I did indeed assume that the additional antenna is primarily to allow for the two different frequencies.
So does this mean ThinkSecret is right?
chucker

2006-11-13, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
So does this mean ThinkSecret is right?
Well, I looked some more, and the chipset in the MacBook Pro doesn't support 5 GHz either. It would make sense for Apple to share the same between the two laptops (but then again, why do they use an altogether different one in the iMac?).
Disko

2006-11-13, 20:45

Quote:
(but then again, why do they use an altogether different one in the iMac?).
power consumption perhaps?