User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Idea
Buffalo
Formerly “Oyarses”

2007-03-22, 16:19

I was thinking about how SJ called Starbucks at the introduction of the iPhone, and was thinking, since he used Google Maps to find it, that it could be a revolutionary idea to use Google's "call" feature they have on Google Maps with the iPhone.

In case you aren't familiar with this, if you go to Google Maps and do a search for a buisness you can click "call" and put you phone number in and Google will connect you with them and you will not be charged for the phone call (i don't think).

So if this is true, and since Google Maps IS on the iPhone, and since the call feature was a relatively recent addition to Google Maps, do you you think that it could be somehow connected to the iPhone? Since (at least in my area where everyone uses Verizon) Cingular isn't as popular as other phone companies and since the price for the iPhone is already pretty high, I think it would be great for the iPhone to be able to call buisnesses using Google's "call" feature and not be charged with making a call to them. And when you call other Cingular phones you will not be charged anyway.

This, I think, could allow for a specialized Apple-Cingular plan that is extremely different from most other plans.

Is this a totally crazy, not-going-to-happen idea, or do you think that this (or something LIKE this) is possible?
rasmits
rams it

2007-03-22, 16:26

Google's call feature is also a lot like JAJAH, which has "confirmed" iPhone compatibility (of course, because all you need is a web browser).

I see no reason why if it didn't work in the Google Maps app, it would at least work from the website. But Cingular supporting and advertising such features seems like a crazy move from a telecommunications company.

You had me at asl
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-03-22, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyarses View Post
Is this a totally crazy, not-going-to-happen idea ...
In a word, yes.

You seem to be proposing a situation where people could buy and use the iPhone without a Cingular contract (or with a Cingular contract but without an actual calling plan). Not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.