User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New MacBooks
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-04-17, 06:24

I plan on buying the next MacBook that comes out, and am curious about what any of you think about the "new" possibilities. Do you expect minor revisions (RAM, CPU upgrades etc.)? Form changes (15", trimmed bezel, colors)? Or something even more unexpected, like the under-the-chassis optical drive.

Is one date more likely than another for the release? Thanks for any thoughts. AWR

Partial
Stallion

2007-04-17, 06:42

I would say the big differences are likely a stock super drive on all, and a 1gb of ram in the form of two 512mb ram sticks. They will of course switch to santa rosa and the 800mhz bus w/ the directx10 integrated graphics.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-17, 06:47

Off hand I would think the introduction of the Santa Rosa chip-set would be the most likely thing to include in the next upgrade, but the MB's didn't go C2D before some time after the MBP's, so it might be as far back as late this year or early next year before Apple introduces it on the MB's. My guess is that it would be most practical to introduce any new form-factors at the same time they change the chip-set. But on the other hand the MB design is not that old yet and Apple has been plenty busy doing everything else, so I don't think new form-factors are all that likely. Though I'd personally would love to see a MacBook Mini with flash HD, no optical drive and min 8 hour battery-life.

AWR
Veteran Member

2007-04-17, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
I would say the big differences are likely a stock super drive on all, and a 1gb of ram in the form of two 512mb ram sticks. They will of course switch to santa rosa and the 800mhz bus w/ the directx10 integrated graphics.
As you know, the 2.0GHz already comes with the 1gb RAM and SuperDrive. What kind of performance difference could one expect with the santa rosa and improved integrated graphics dealing with say a large iPhoto library.

I suppose they'll all get a 20gb HD bump too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Off hand I would think the introduction of the Santa Rosa chip-set would be the most likely thing to include in the next upgrade, but the MB's didn't go C2D before some time after the MBP's, so it might be as far back as late this year or early next year before Apple introduces it on the MB's. My guess is that it would be most practical to introduce any new form-factors at the same time they change the chip-set. But on the other hand the MB design is not that old yet and Apple has been plenty busy doing everything else, so I don't think new form-factors are all that likely. Though I'd personally would love to see a MacBook Mini with flash HD, no optical drive and min 8 hour battery-life.
I like the current form, and would prefer that they spend the time on OS 10.5. Kind of bummed that a "new" MacBook will likely be released this summer without it, as i was hoping to bag two birds with one stone. Life will carry on.

And as much as I don't need the petite notebook that you mention, it seems like it would make a lot of people very happy, and I'd like to see how they do it. I hope that it's one of the surprises of the near future.

Last edited by AWR : 2007-04-17 at 07:02. Reason: Posts merged

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-17, 07:06

Quote:
the MB's didn't go C2D before some time after the MBP's
Right, but only within 15 days of each other: October 24 vs.
November 8. I certainly agree that a MacBook Pro update is likely to come first, but I see no reason for Apple to wait for more than a few weeks, and probably a month or two at most.

So, let's say late May for Santa Rosa* MBPs, and early to mid-June for Santa Rosa* MBs.

*) Mind you, Apple is unlikely to actually use the Santa Rosa platform itself, just like they haven't used the previous platforms. So, by Santa Rosa, let's merely refer to characteristics such as a revised Merom with an 800 (instead of 667) MHz FSB (and thus possibly PC2-6400/DDR2-800 RAM) and thusly adjusted clockrates (possibly even "extreme" ones on the 17-inch MacBook Pro, but I rather doubt it), a GMA X3000 (rather than 900), possibly built-in WiMAX and/or WWAN (if so, likely EV-DO, but I think Apple would rather stay out of this for now), and similar revisions. Just as before, everything but the CPU and the chipset (such as the WiFi daughterboard) will likely come from non-Intel suppliers, thus not meeting Intel's platform requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
As you know, the 2.0GHz already comes with the 1gb RAM and SuperDrive. What kind of performance difference could one expect with the santa rosa and improved integrated graphics dealing with say a large iPhoto library.
iPhoto has some GPU-accelerated stuff in its adjustments, but browsing the library doesn't really benefit directly from the GPU. The revised CPU/FSB, however, may gain you a few percents. Don't expect anything too big. This is a refinement, not a radical change.

To preserve some battery life, the new FSB clock also has automatic throttling, much like the CPU clock already does.

Last edited by chucker : 2007-04-17 at 07:07. Reason: Posts merged

AWR
Veteran Member

2007-04-17, 07:14

Automatic throttling? I want in.

chucker, you possibly made this whole thing more difficult! One to two months after .... I appreciate you ideas anyway.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-17, 07:22

Ok. My memory wasn't too good there.

chucker is most likely right.

Partial
Stallion

2007-05-11, 14:13

In the next iteration of the MacBook, I will be downright cranky if they do not include 1gb and a super driver standard.

2.16 Core 2 Duo
80gb HDD
1gb ram
6x dl superdrive
No More MBwhine and humming sounds from the power adapter.
These should be the specs at the 999 price, but my guess is it goes for 1099.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-11, 18:21

Guys, both AppleInsider and ThinkSecret have posted new, interesting MacBook and MacBook Pro news today. Go check 'em out! Would be some nice stuff to know, and add to this discussion.

In a nutshell, they both seem to think all Apple notebooks are in for updates very soon (possibly starting next week). The pro line is getting the LED display (the 15" anyway) and Santa Rosa. The 13" MacBook, however, stays with the same display and AppleInsider believes no Santa Rosa, while ThinkSecret seems to think it could.

Also AppleInsider talks about Apple's new subnotebook thingie...apparently those 13" LEDs ordered by Apple are destined for that thing, and not the new MacBook revision.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-05-11, 20:50

Personally, I hope Apple doesn't do what Sony has been doing. That is creating ultra-notebooks that are too tiny to be usable. And this article seem to indicate that they won't.
Sony is a master at making things small, but these 10" laptops have such tiny keyboards and you almost need a magnifying glass to see the text on the screen. I love how Apple pays attention to human factors and usability.

rasmits
rams it

2007-05-11, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Sony is a master at making things small, but these 10" laptops have such tiny keyboards and you almost need a magnifying glass to see the text on the screen. I love how Apple pays attention to human factors and usability.
But with resolution independence from Leopard, would that be a problem?

I love sub-notebooks. I'm due for a notebook soon and I'm tempted to buy a Vaio TX, but I don't want to go back to windows... Please give me a MacBook Nano, Apple.

You had me at asl

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-11, 21:08

Quote:
Sony is a master at making things small, but these 10" laptops have such tiny keyboards...
...which is why I'm always gunning for the return of the 12" model! The 12" width is the perfect size for the standard iBook/PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboard without making any sacrifices. Just look at this beaut'.

If it's a 12" "widescreen" ratio, then it gets even smaller without sacrificing the needed width for the keyboard.

Quote:
and you almost need a magnifying glass to see the text on the screen.
Go, go, resolution-independent UI!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-05-11, 21:08

I just want a really light laptop, that's under an inch in thickness..

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-05-11, 21:45

MacBook mini, alright!

I love my MBP... but there's definitely a demand for a subnotebook.

(Though, IMHO, not as big as the demand for a consumer-priced big screen notebook!)

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-05-11, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
...which is why I'm always gunning for the return of the 12" model! The 12" width is the perfect size for the standard iBook/PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboard without making any sacrifices. Just look at this beaut'.

If it's a 12" "widescreen" ratio, then it gets even smaller without sacrificing the needed width for the keyboard.
Yes! I'm almost tempted to just up the RAM on my 12" PowerBook when I go to college rather than buy a new computer simply because it's the perfect size.

Partial
Stallion

2007-05-11, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
(Though, IMHO, not as big as the demand for a consumer-priced big screen notebook!)

It's called the Dell Inspiron. Seriously, every college kid has one it seems. Those huge-ass ugly 17"ers.

washington mac user
can't read

2007-05-12, 00:22

sadly, I agree with tensdanny. I want the 12inch back! I am not getting a MacBook... but I would be willing to pay for a 13in MacBook Pro.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-05-12, 00:55

Quote:

Go, go, resolution-independent UI!
Technically a 12" widescreen would be wider than the 12" PB was. Since the 12" width was, indeed, perfect, I'd opt for an 11" widescreen - it'd be about the same width, with maybe 2/3rds of an inch lopped off the top. It'd be just perfect.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-12, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Technically a 12" widescreen would be wider than the 12" PB was.
True! I'm not quiet sure how that slipped my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Since the 12" width was, indeed, perfect, I'd opt for an 11" widescreen - it'd be about the same width, with maybe 2/3rds of an inch lopped off the top. It'd be just perfect.
*sigh*

Ah, to dream.

seek3r

2007-05-12, 02:12

tensdanny, true, though there's been a huge spike on my campus of macbooks lately. Don't see many older macs, and there's a fair amnt of MBPs, but there's *alot* of macbooks

MBP 2.33 Core2 (10.4/Debian/XP); MP Quad 2.66 X1900XT (10.4/Debian/XP/Sever 2K3), Dell 2407WFP + Samsung 910t
I met a traveler from an antique land...

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-12, 07:53

Quote:
True! I'm not quiet sure how that slipped my mind.

*sigh*

Ah, to dream.
Yes yes yes, pretty please!

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-12, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
It's called the Dell Inspiron. Seriously, every college kid has one it seems. Those huge-ass ugly 17"ers.
We're clearly not seeing the same students. The Dell brand has become synonymous with ubiquitous cheap computers, but do I actually see Dells at uni? Very, very rarely; probably never in my department. Sony VAIOs are vastly more popular around these parts, although not all of them are those sexy little machines that Sony is known for. But Apple notebooks are the most popular computer in my classes. Easily half the laptops I see are Macs, and it's not unusual for every single visible computer in a room to be a Mac. In order of popularity, I'd say it goes: MacBook, 12-inch PowerBook, 12-inch iBook, 15-inch MBP/PowerBook (not easy to tell the difference from a distance), 14-inch iBook. 17-inch machines of any kind are extremely rare, and I've literally never seen a 17-inch Apple notebook in class.

I don't understand why Apple hasn't put out a new compact notebook by now. You only have to read any computing forum to see the massive pent-up demand for such a machine. People like Ryan and Brad are not even buying a new machine because there's nothing to replace their 12-inch PowerBook. An 11-inch MacBook, priced not much higher than the entry-level MacBook and with moderate specs, would have people drooling and would sell like hotcakes. Wasn't the 12-inch PowerBook the best-selling PowerBook? Every self-respecting Japanese company has an ultra-portable notebook, and they have a much smaller market share than Apple, so why would Apple have trouble making such a machine profitable? It would sell like crazy, just as the 12-inch Macs of old sold so well. With a smaller screen, smaller battery, smaller power supply and Intel graphics it could be priced similarly to the current MacBook and have a higher profit margin. It would also be a good ambassador for the Apple brand. What's the hold-up? I'm absolutely convinced Apple has such a machine in the works, but why hasn't it been the number one priority since the Intel switch?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.

Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2007-05-12, 12:41

To the OP: Apple plans on revamping their notebook lines to use LED monitors, thus being environmentally friendly and more energy efficient. I don't know about the other specs, though.

Partial
Stallion

2007-05-12, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek3r View Post
tensdanny, true, though there's been a huge spike on my campus of macbooks lately. Don't see many older macs, and there's a fair amnt of MBPs, but there's *alot* of macbooks
I see so many black MacBooks its ridiculous. Not for the fact they are actually using an Apple, but for the fact so many people justified it to themselves to spend that kind of money on a color preference. Ahhh, the youth of today. Children are our future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
We're clearly not seeing the same students. The Dell brand has become synonymous with ubiquitous cheap computers, but do I actually see Dells at uni? Very, very rarely; probably never in my department. Sony VAIOs are vastly more popular around these parts, although not all of them are those sexy little machines that Sony is known for. But Apple notebooks are the most popular computer in my classes. Easily half the laptops I see are Macs, and it's not unusual for every single visible computer in a room to be a Mac. In order of popularity, I'd say it goes: MacBook, 12-inch PowerBook, 12-inch iBook, 15-inch MBP/PowerBook (not easy to tell the difference from a distance), 14-inch iBook. 17-inch machines of any kind are extremely rare, and I've literally never seen a 17-inch Apple notebook in class.
That is very much not the case in the two wisconsin univerisities I have been to now. Then again, I am a software engineering student so most of the students play a lot of games and have windows machines for that.

Quote:
I don't understand why Apple hasn't put out a new compact notebook by now. You only have to read any computing forum to see the massive pent-up demand for such a machine. People like Ryan and Brad are not even buying a new machine because there's nothing to replace their 12-inch PowerBook. An 11-inch MacBook, priced not much higher than the entry-level MacBook and with moderate specs, would have people drooling and would sell like hotcakes. Wasn't the 12-inch PowerBook the best-selling PowerBook? Every self-respecting Japanese company has an ultra-portable notebook, and they have a much smaller market share than Apple, so why would Apple have trouble making such a machine profitable? It would sell like crazy, just as the 12-inch Macs of old sold so well. With a smaller screen, smaller battery, smaller power supply and Intel graphics it could be priced similarly to the current MacBook and have a higher profit margin. It would also be a good ambassador for the Apple brand. What's the hold-up? I'm absolutely convinced Apple has such a machine in the works, but why hasn't it been the number one priority since the Intel switch?
Agreed 100%. Apple has my business next year if they come out with a 11". They actually will either way, but I would be ecstatic if they came out with one.

Last edited by Partial : 2007-05-12 at 20:37. Reason: Posts merged

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-12, 22:29

Quote:
Ahhh, the youth of today. Children are our future
Yes! Gosh forbid people spend $50* more on a laptop than they'd otherwise have to just for a black, matte version. Horrifying thought indeed.

*) It was $150 with the Core 1 Duo versions. Still, hardly a nightmarish difference.

Partial
Stallion

2007-05-12, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yes! Gosh forbid people spend $50* more on a laptop than they'd otherwise have to just for a black, matte version. Horrifying thought indeed.

*) It was $150 with the Core 1 Duo versions. Still, hardly a nightmarish difference.
50 bucks is a sham. We both know that update to the 120gb drive costs apple 20-30 bucks. They made it 150 to get people to buy the black version. I could maybe justify the cost if Apple would give it a single high-end feature, like the 1gb of ram in one dimm, but alas they don't. That is a rip-off.

I live in Wisconsin; Our taxes are through the roof. I don't like funding peoples retirements, welfare, and unemployment because they don't know how to save their money.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-13, 08:57

Quote:
50 bucks is a sham. We both know that update to the 120gb drive costs apple 20-30 bucks. They made it 150 to get people to buy the black version. I could maybe justify the cost if Apple would give it a single high-end feature, like the 1gb of ram in one dimm, but alas they don't. That is a rip-off.

I live in Wisconsin; Our taxes are through the roof. I don't like funding peoples retirements, welfare, and unemployment because they don't know how to save their money.
So, when was the last time you where at a clothes store. Not the department of a supermarket, but a real one with fashionable brands like for example Armani, D&G, etc. Seen in that light $ 50 for a colour you like is nothing.

And furthermore, quit whining about high taxes. You Americans have absolutely no idea what that means. Trust me, I live in Denmark.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-05-13, 11:22

What is the percentage of tax there in Denmark. Personally I think the 13% tax I have to deal with is too much, but then I've seen some extremely high tax rates for European nations.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-13, 12:05

It's progressive.

!!!

My income as a student is fairly modest, so I get away with 38%, but I once eyed the figure 70% on my dads income-statement, which should be the maximum possible.

That, said the state and municipalities does render a lot of services in return. For example I don't have to worry about health-insurance, tuition fees for business school and so forth. It's the welfare state ya know.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-13, 13:32

Quote:
It's progressive.

!!!

My income as a student is fairly modest, so I get away with 38%, but I once eyed the figure 70% on my dads income-statement, which should be the maximum possible.

That said, the state and municipalities does render a lot of services in return. For example I don't have to worry about health-insurance, tuition fees for business school and so forth. It's the welfare state ya know.
Okay, so you're talking about 70% tax rates and major social benefits provided by the state.

I can't help wondering if Denmark has been having a problem with lots of non-tax-paying immigrants, who are happy to take full advantage of the welfare system without making a commensurate contribution of their own?

I ask, because I seem to remember reading such articles about what has been going on in Sweden over the last few years.