Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Release Security & QuickTime 7.1.6 Updates

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Release Security & QuickTime 7.1.6 Updates
mooty

2007-05-02, 02:55

Quote:
Apple has posted version 1.1 of their 2007-004 update released earlier this month. The new update corrects some bugs introduced in the first update (note: only affects very specific versions of Mac OS X, seen notes):

=========
Update #1
=========
AirPort - Available for: Mac OS X v10.3.9
This update corrects an issue where the AirPort connection may be lost after waking from sleep. This issue only affects Mac OS X v10.3.9 with Security Update 2007-004.
FTPServer - Available for: Mac OS X Server v10.4.9
Security Update 2007-004 applied an incorrect ftp configuration file for Mac OS X Server v10.4.9 systems. Users with ftp access, who would normally be restricted to certain directories, may be able to access directories outside the normal scope.
In addition, Apple posted Quicktime 7.1.6 updates for Mac and Windows which address a recently discovered security hole:

=========
Update #2
=========
QuickTime 7.1.6 delivers numerous bug fixes, addresses a critical security issue with QuickTime for Java and includes support for:
- Final Cut Studio 2
- Timecode and closed captioning display in QuickTime Player
This Quicktime update fixes the browser exploit discovered in the $10,000 MacBook hacking contest that was won 10 days ago.

=========
Update #3
=========
Finally, Apple also released the Airport Extreme 2007-003 updater, which "is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and includes compatibility updates for certain third-party access points configured to use WPA™ or WPA2™ security."
Apple Security Update V1.1
Quicktime Update - Mac / Win

I've highlighted the important thing here! Get it whilst its hot!!

Last edited by mooty : 2007-05-02 at 06:00. Reason: Clearing up confusion between updates
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-02, 04:01

10 days turnaround time for a security patch is quite impressive.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 05:41

The Security Update isn't appearing in my Software Update yet (the QuickTime update is though). As a PowerPC user, does it matter whether I download the Universal or PPC DMG? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
mooty

2007-05-02, 05:45

If you re-read the blurb, the security update is only required for 10.3.9 OR 10.4.9 (Server) - so you may not need either??
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-02, 05:49

I just downloaded what seemed to be QT security update. That was for a 10.4.8 on my iMac G5.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-02, 05:53

The thread is about two distinct updates: a Mac OS X Security Update, and a new version of QuickTime.

The new version of QuickTime, 7.1.6, also comes with a security update in QuickTime for Java, fixing the vulnerability discovered 10 days ago (with the prize of a MacBook Pro and $10k).

The Mac OS X Security Update is at version 1.1. If you already have version 1.0 of that same update, which was released weeks ago, you will only have to update (and it will only show up in Software Update) if you're on 10.3.9 Client or 10.4.9 Server. If you don't have 1.0 yet, you will get 1.1 through Software Update. If you have 1.0 and don't have either of those systems, you don't need 1.1 since the change doesn't affect you.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 05:55

I'm running 10.4.9, Mooty, so that shouldn't be the problem. Apple seems to release updates at slightly different times across the world sometimes, perhaps to even out the load on their servers. I could happily wait until it comes through in Software Update, but I was curious why Apple is still releasing PPC versions (instead of just the Universal versions), and whether I should prefer one over the other.

Edit: saw chucker's post. Thanks, I missed that detail. In the future, should I prefer PPC or Universal? Or does it make absolutely no difference and I should just go with PPC because the file is smaller?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2007-05-02 at 05:58. Reason: chucker posted
mooty

2007-05-02, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I'm running 10.4.9, Mooty, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Thats exactly your problem It wont show up as its not relevant
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 06:04

Ha, I'm daft! Missed that even after you mentioned 10.4.9 Server.

Cheers!
chucker

2007-05-02, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
In the future, should I prefer PPC or Universal? Or does it make absolutely no difference and I should just go with PPC because the file is smaller?
I don't believe Apple currently offers that choice in updates. Client PowerPC updates are always PowerPC-only, Client Intel updates are always universal-in-theory, and Server* updates are always universal.

*) Mac OS X 10.4 Server versions from last fall and newer are the first truly universal Mac OS X release. The client won't be fully universal until 10.5. There's a good practical reason: to make the current PowerPC client universal, you'd have to deliver one heck of a huge Software Update.