Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AppleNova Official™ iPhone Unpacking, Activation and Initial Impressions Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Official™ iPhone Unpacking, Activation and Initial Impressions Thread
Page 4 of 17 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
digitaldave

2007-06-30, 04:05

Has anyone used their iPhone with a Gmail account? Does it use POP via the built in email client, or do you just use the web interface in safari? Also, can you set up rules in the email client?

Thanks .
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-06-30, 05:08

Built-in client handles .Mac, Gmail, Yahoo! and AOL officially. There's also a generic "others..." selection.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 07:37

You know what? I can't call my local AT&T store to check on the status/availability of the iPhone. I can't get a human to answer. It's nothing but recordings and prompts for everything in the world but "if you'd like to speak to a human in real time so you can know if there is 4GB iPhone available so you don't have to waste time and gas driving eight miles out here from your house, please press 4...".

I cannot call someone at the AT&T place.

Think about that, and let it settle in for a moment, won't you?

You can't reach anyone on the phone at...at a [i]phone place{/i].

"It's all you asshats do, is deal with phone stuff. PICK YOURS UP when I call!"

And before you say it: this has nothing to do with iPhone crowds or whatever. It's been this way for three years. I can't call my local Cingular/AT&T place - where I got my phone and became a customer originally - ever. I've tried on several occasions.
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-06-30, 07:42

Just activated mine! set-up went smooth like butter. Took a while longer to sync all my content than expected but once done who can complain. Well worth the wait, posted some pics on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9252567...7600566561513/
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 07:51

I have just one question. Who is the woman in the red shirt in the background?!?

Hubba!
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-06-30, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I have just one question. Who is the woman in the red shirt in the background?!?

Hubba!
haha yeah believe it or not she was with the guy, no doubt because he had an iPhone.

Last edited by Miko : 2007-06-30 at 08:29.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-30, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

Hubba!
Paul, you're such a hornball. You can barely *see* her! All it takes is that haircut and you're at full attention.
bender0069

2007-06-30, 08:46

Here is the link to my unpacking photos: The Unpacking
I really am liking this phone. I have no trouble typing on it, and it's almost as quick as my iMac on wi-fi. Now I need to go out and test EDGE
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Paul, you're such a hornball. You can barely *see* her! All it takes is that haircut and you're at full attention.
I know! Short, sassy hair on the womens gets me every time...what can I say?
Jason
Veteran Member

2007-06-30, 09:15

So does anyone know how you download images etc onto the hard drive?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-30, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So does anyone know how you download images etc onto the hard drive?
There is no hard drive.

I think the only way to get images on the phone are via syncing or the camera.
Grip

2007-06-30, 09:27

Still waiting for activation to complete. It has probably been about 8 1/2 hours so far and no confirmation email.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 10:04

I asked this late last night (this thread or another, can't remember), but I was wanting to know what happened to your old phone/service. Specifically those of you who were already AT&T/Cingular subscribers (Eugene)...when your new iPhone became activated and "legit" (ready for use), is there a signal sent to your previous phone, telling it not to work?

How does this work? How does your old phone behave now that you've activated your iPhone with your old number and have moved your account over to it?

If someone calls you, do both phones ring? I can't imagine that, but I also don't know how your old knows it's not your phone anymore. I imagine some sort of signal or network transfer that deactivates it once you've activated the iPhone with your account info?

Can someone clear this up for me?

OR are both phones active, and I simply need to shut off the old one, remove the battery and SIM card and effectively "put it in a coma" (but if something happened to my iPhone, I could put the battery and SIM card back in my old one and have a backup phone?). But I can't imagine having two active, usable phones on a single account/number.

So how does the old one know it's not your primary phone, specifically? How closely is service and your account tied to actual hardware?

Someone?
bender0069

2007-06-30, 10:23

Pscates, I'm and old cingular customer. When I activated my iphone it took about 3 minutes for at&t to activate it. I didn't switch SIMs or anything. My old phone no longer works, so the SIM signal was deactivated. Supposedly if I take the SIM out of the iphone and put it in my old cell phone it should work, but I haven't tried that.

I just switched the SIM card to my old phone and it will work with the iPhone SIM. Nice to know I have a back up if I need it
Jason
Veteran Member

2007-06-30, 10:25

Pscates, haven't you bought one? You spent most of last week talking about it.
What happened?

¡Damned!

2007-06-30, 10:29

He's about to.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender0069 View Post
Pscates, I'm and old cingular customer. When I activated my iphone it took about 3 minutes for at&t to activate it. I didn't switch SIMs or anything. My old phone no longer works, so the SIM signal was deactivated. Supposedly if I take the SIM out of the iphone and put it in my old cell phone it should work, but I haven't tried that.

I just switched the SIM card to my old phone and it will work with the iPhone SIM. Nice to know I have a back up if I need it
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I figured something took place under the hood/behind the scenes that told the old one to "stop working". But it sounds like I should definitely hang on to it (stick it in my nightstand or whatever) because I can put the SIM card from the iPhone into my old one if something happened to the iPhone. That's very cool to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Pscates, haven't you bought one? You spent most of last week talking about it.
What happened?

Yeah, waiting for the guy to come by and get my guitar/amp and give me the money. He was supposed to come this morning, but he called at 10:00 and asked if we could do it at 1:00 instead. I'm not going to do this without money in hand, because, my luck, I'll go out and buy it and then he'll call at 1:00 saying he won't be able to come through, and then I'll be on the hook for $499 that I hadn't planned on!

Just playing it safe. I don't count my chickens before they hatch, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Yep, just waiting for everything to "be real" and finalize. The bitch of it is, if he'd come this morning at 10:00 as originally planned, I'd probably already have it. He's coming at 1:00 and it's just narrowing my window for doing this today (because of plans and commitments later this afternoon and evening).

Tomorrow may be a better day...no plans and a more wide-open schedule, and plenty of time to come back and do the activation, syncing and charging stuff and not feel under the gun like I would this afternoon.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-30, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip View Post
Still waiting for activation to complete. It has probably been about 8 1/2 hours so far and no confirmation email.
Are you a new AT&T customer (or, trying to become a new AT&T customer)?

I signed up for AT&T via Amazon.com 18 hours ago and still haven't received my welcome email with my account info. I checked one of my credit reports and it doesn't even look like they've done the credit check yet.

I also can't get a human being to answer the phone at the nearest AT&T store so I can check iPhone availability, so AT&T is getting two thumbs down from me so far in the customer service dept.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
I also can't get a human being to answer the phone at the nearest AT&T store so I can check iPhone availability, so AT&T is getting two thumbs down from me so far in the customer service dept.
Man, welcome to the club. I've been calling these puddingheads all morning. It's impossible to get a person on the phone...at a phone place.

You have to laugh, I guess.

I have left two messages with my name and number, telling them I'd love for someone to call and just let me know the availability on 4GB iPhones. Otherwise, I'm in for a pain-in-the-ass drive out there (20 minutes, at least, each way, with horrific Saturday mall area traffic and nuttiness to boot). If I do this, only to find out they're sold out or whatever, I'm going to be so agitated (but I won't leave without a direct number - hell, even if it's one of the employee's personal phone number - because I'm not going to spend the next 3-5 days driving out there "on a hunch".

Aggravating as hell that I've not been able to get a local human on the phone from my AT&T store, just to ask them this simple, time (and gas) saving question.

Grip

2007-06-30, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Are you a new AT&T customer (or, trying to become a new AT&T customer)?

I signed up for AT&T via Amazon.com 18 hours ago and still haven't received my welcome email with my account info. I checked one of my credit reports and it doesn't even look like they've done the credit check yet.

I am an existing Cingular/AT&T customer. I have two phones connected with my account, but I fear the fact that it is part of a business plan is holding up my activation process. This what I have gathered from another forum. Regardless, there are countless people going through what we are going through.

Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-06-30, 11:38

ok...how it went for me...

very nicely

i opened an ATT account thursday, so i was an existing customer...this morning i changed my old number over from verizon to att and then i unpacked my iPhone...

started with iTunes at 9:39 (noticed this as the iTunes screen had the iPhone with a time of 9:42...which was close to true)...by 9:55 i got an email from ATT saying phone was active
at 10"07 got a second email saying the phone was ready for calls

in that time i had sync'd 287 songs and 74 photos and all my iCal and contacts and address book

effortless

will post photos in a minute...but then i'm out for a while as it is too pretty outside to sit on a computer....

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-30, 11:39

the heck with posting photos...just go here

here

g
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-30, 11:55

posting from my iPhone
digitaldave

2007-06-30, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
There is no hard drive.

I think the only way to get images on the phone are via syncing or the camera.
What about getting camera pictures off the phone? IIRC you can't send them via bluetooth, and the iPhone doesn't have an option to use it as a disc, so do they go via the syncing routines, or are they stuck on the iPhone?
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-30, 12:12

email the photos from the phone

g
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-30, 12:13

also i think you could get them off the iPhone using iPhoto...the iPhone shows up on my iPhoto when i attach it

g
digitaldave

2007-06-30, 13:01

Yeah, looks like you can import to iPhoto - I just downloaded the manual and found this:

Quote:
Import photos from iPhone to your computer: Connect iPhone to your computer. Then: On a Mac: In iPhoto, click Import. iPhoto should open automatically.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-30, 13:25

Finally reached a human from the AT&T store (actually she called me back from the message I left earlier). Was just about to head out there...glad I didn't: they have none.

Apparently Chattanooga got 40(!) iPhones in yesterday. Every one of them sold within 50 minutes she said. By 7:00pm last night, they had nothing.

So I'm a little bummed, but not too much: a) I saved a drive out there for nothing, b) even if I had gone there first thing this morning, I couldn't have bought one.

My only option, it appears, would've been to come stand in line at 6:00pm last night, which I wasn't going to be doing anyway, so...

Oh well. I'll just check back with them throughout the week. Just gives me longer to read more about it, organize my stuff (find missing album cover artwork, etc.).

Rats...I was really hoping to have this thing in my pocket tonight, and show to the band and friends at the gig. But it wasn't like they had some an hour or so ago, and I just missed them. Knowing that I didn't even have a shot since 6:45 last night somehow makes it okay, and not sting as much.

thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-06-30, 14:31

iPhoto opens when you dock your iPhone...it acts just like attaching a digital camera...very easy to download and upload photos...

nicely done...the camera works very well..good photos and easy to trash the ones you don't want...can't really crop and edit on the phone it seems, but easy to do once docked...

already set my wallpaper to a photo i took today...

seems very easy to use without much help....surfing the web will take some practice as the screen is small...was hoping this would be a laptop replacement, but it isn't a replacement, just an addition (can use anywhere, even at times the laptop is at home)...

and movies take up lots of space...i downloaded two and it was 2 gigs taken....

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-06-30, 15:06

iPhone post
Pretty cool little doohickey
Went back to the Apple store to play with it some more and wifey said if I went there just to play with it in the store she'd have my hide so I bought an 8GB model.