User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

HELP! iMac won't boot after installing updates last night.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HELP! iMac won't boot after installing updates last night.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 12:19

I installed 3 updates last night via the Apple auto update program and now the computer won't boot. I don't recall what the updates even were except for one, which was a JAVA update.

Current Behavior:
Starts to boot and gets to a white screen with Apple logo, the spinning dial thing, and a progress bar. The progress bar gets about 5-10%, then starts over. It fills to about 5-10% again and then just shuts down.

I have an external FW drive hooked up with a fairly up to date SuperDuper clone, but after I boot to it, I have no idea how to repair the iMac.

The computer is one of the original 24" iMacs running Snow Leopard with 3 Gigs of RAM and a 500 Gig drive.

My daughter is itching to use her new Bamboo tablet so any help would be greatly appreciated.

And Merry Christmas.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 12:43

So I've booted up to the SuperDuper drive and tried to run Disk Repair. It says:

Verify and Repair volume "THE MOTHERSHIP"
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Keys out of order
Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
The volume THE MOTHERSHIP could not be repaired.
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

I know I dumped some new photos from the camera last night, but beyond that, I don't know what I might not have already on the SuperDuper backup. Is there an easy way to tell when Super Duper last ran successfully?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-12-25, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
s there an easy way to tell when Super Duper last ran successfully?
Do you have another Apple computer you can attempt to boot of the version of the Super Duper?
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 14:25

No, just the one Mac here.

What looks to be problematic is even getting the internal disk to mount. When I'm booted on the SuperDuper drive, I can't see the internal HDD - other than in Disk Utility.

I think I may need to take the computer to the in-laws and use their iMac along with this one in Target Disk mode to see if I can get to the photos.

I do also know someone with an old Powerbook - that one should be able to access the drive in TDM right? As long as the disk in my iMac is useable enough to even allow it.

I'm going to be headed to the in-laws for Christmas activities in a handful of minutes, and won't be back until late tonight, so if anyone has any more advice, I'll check it then.

Thanks in advance.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-12-25, 14:35

If you have or can get DiskWarrior, it should repair the problem with your disk enough to allow it to boot.

You could then run another SuperDuper backup, boot from backup and erase the main drive, and then clone the backup to the main drive.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 14:48

I imagine that I could download that.

A bit more info, though I don't think it matters here:
Knowing that SuperDuper did not run between the updates and the problem, I checked Software Update to see what updates it would list as ready to install = what I installed last night:

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 1 Version 1
AirPort Client Update 2009-002 Version 1
Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update Version 2.7

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-25, 15:12

Strange, from the sounds of the problem, its like your iMac is trying to install a firmware update.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-12-25, 15:32

Happened to me not too long ago. DiskWarrior saved my ass...

Here's the thread about it
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-26, 21:39

Before I drop $90 on DiskWarrior, I was going to pick up my sister's iBook and see if I couldn't get to the drive with Target Disk Mode. But is that likely to work? As it is, I can boot to my SuperDuper drive, but I can't get the internal HDD to mount in any capacity. So is there any reason to expect Target Disk Mode will work any better?

All I'm looking to accomplish is to get those photos from Christmas Eve off, and then I can reformat and restore from SuperDuper.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-12-27, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Before I drop $90 on DiskWarrior, I was going to pick up my sister's iBook and see if I couldn't get to the drive with Target Disk Mode. But is that likely to work? As it is, I can boot to my SuperDuper drive, but I can't get the internal HDD to mount in any capacity. So is there any reason to expect Target Disk Mode will work any better?
Probably not. If the disk's directory is too damaged to mount when booted from another drive, TDM will most likely give the same results (an unmountable drive).
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-27, 12:53

OK, one last question.

I purchased DiskWarrior and it successfully revived the disk. WOOT!

I was able to get the pictures that I was hoping to restore, so I've got pretty much everything.

Now, should I just use the recovered internal HDD as is, or would it be best to reformat it and restore from SuperDuper?

Thanks again for all your help.

And... SuperDuper is Awesome! DiskWarrior is Awesome! And while I didn't have to use it this time, Target Disk Mode is also Awesome!

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-12-27, 13:03

Quote:
should I just use the recovered internal HDD as is, or would it be best to reformat it and restore from SuperDuper?
Whichever you prefer, or works best for you.

A third option would be to use the recovered HDD as is, but to download and install the latest Combo update (10.6.2) to ensure that any damaged system components are replaced. It's certainly easier than an entire reformat, and would be my first choice.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-12-28, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Whichever you prefer, or works best for you.

A third option would be to use the recovered HDD as is, but to download and install the latest Combo update (10.6.2) to ensure that any damaged system components are replaced. It's certainly easier than an entire reformat, and would be my first choice.
I did this, and so far everything is going smoothly.

Thanks again for the help fellas.