User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Justified"...new made-for-cable series on FX. Anyone watch premiere episode?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Justified"...new made-for-cable series on FX. Anyone watch premiere episode?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-16, 22:27

Good stuff. It's like "The Shield", "Walking Tall" and USA's "In Plain Sight" all bundled together.

A U.S. marshal, Raylan Givens (played by Timothy Olyphant), is reassigned to Kentucky, where he's orginally from. He runs up against an old friend who is, naturally, an arch criminal and world-class a-hole. Small Kentucky town, funny (without trying to be) dialogue, little bursts of action/violence, great writing, crime, etc.

For those who were fans of FX's "The Shield", the lead bad guy in "Justified" is played by Walton Goggins, who played Shane. He's from Alabama in real life, so that accent just flows...

It's based on some stories/characters from Elmore Leonard, so if you enjoy some of the other movies based on his stuff ("Jackie Brown", "Out of Sight", "Get Shorty"), you should like this. It's like those things (shady people doing bad stuff, and going up against law enforcement), only a bit more Southern-fried.

Here's the trailer.

Tuesdays at 10:00pm. Season premiere was tonight, and they're just now rerunning the episode again, so go check it out if you're interested.

FX has a pretty good track record with their made-for-TV shows ("The Shield", "Rescue Me", "Damages", "Nip/Tuck", etc.), and this will probably be right up there with them. I was/am a huge "Shield" fan, and so when I saw Goggins in the promos I knew it had potential.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-16, 22:51

Booo! I saw the title of this thread and for a fleeting moment I thought this would be along the lines of "Helvetica" and "Objectified" and would be some sort of slick documentary about typesetting.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-16, 23:02

Nope. Beat it!

But that was a good guess.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-16, 23:59

I was busy tonight, but it was definitely on my list to see. I like Timothy Olyphant, so I'm looking forward to catching a rerun.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 02:30

panxzz

2010-04-15, 12:32

I love this show, can't wait for the next episode.
btw u can watch the eps at
watch justified episodes
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-04-15, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
This is what I thought of too
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-15, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by panxzz View Post
I love this show, can't wait for the next episode.
btw u can watch the eps at
watch justified episodes
I hate to say it, but I've cooled on this show considerably since its premiere episode.

It seems to have settled into just another "quirky crime show made for cable" (like all those shows on USA). Hell, the past few episodes haven't even been in Kentucky or the South, or dealing with some of the element present in the first episode (which was all the fun, style and charm of the debut episode). And having Walton Goggin's character, Boyd Crowder, only in the first episode (and first 50 seconds of the second one ) is my biggest gripe.

What a villain! I assume he and Givens would square off each week, in some sort of way. They had some great scenes and dialogue! I was hoping the entire run would be as tense and fun as that first show.

It's not.

I don't know. I've not liked any of the following episodes 1/5th as much as that first one grabbed me. It was hillbilly heaven, all those scuzzy rednecks running around, doing godawful redneck stuff and dodging "the law".

You really only see that on "Cops" anymore. It was nice to see a fictionalized take on it (being that every other cop/crime show is set in L.A. or New York City, you know).

And the next person who posts a Justin Timberlake picture gets a smack. I guess it could be worse...at least it's not Steven Seagal, right?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-15, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I hate to say it, but I've cooled on this show considerably since its premiere episode.

Hell, the past few episodes haven't even been in Kentucky or the South, or dealing with some of the element present in the first episode (which was all the fun, style and charm of the debut episode).
Huh? Are we watching the same show? All the episodes I've watched were in Kentucky (which is not the South last I checked).
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-04-15, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What a villain! I assume he and Givens would square off each week, in some sort of way. They had some great scenes and dialogue!
I assumed that too.. Or at least that it would run a few episodes like that before it got nasty for them and it had to end with a big shootout.

But overall I am still enjoying it.
It was quite fun to meet his Dad in this last episode....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-15, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Huh? Are we watching the same show? All the episodes I've watched were in Kentucky (which is not the South last I checked).
He went to L.A. Once, then somewhere else. South or not, that rural setting from the first show...

You know what I mean. I just thought that first episode was very strong (and different).

I think he took another trip too. He had to transfer someone.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-04-16, 00:06

Just wanted you to know I spent the last hour scouring the internet for more Timberlake Justified images...

I found a couple of parodies. One where he's in front of the White House, and another which is a rehash of a Shirley Temple album cover.. I did find a very bizarre one which had a muscle woman with huge tits also.

But none were good enough to post here.

But I was trying very hard and had to make this post just to have something to show for all that effort.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-04-16, 01:33

I've only seen the first two, which I liked plenty. Sorry to hear things drifted, maybe it'll get back on track?

Timothy Oliphant is pretty perfect as the archetypal Elmore Leonard lawman-- taciturn, opaque, always in command of the situation (because he always knows what's going on even when he acts like he doesn't), seemingly relaxed but capable of very focused bursts of violence and operating by an actually sort of scary moral code. I loved it at the end of the first episode when he tells his ex "I never thought of myself as an angry man" and his ex says "Oh, you're the angriest man I ever knew."

If the show is willing to run with that it could be great. If they start making excuses for him-- take the name of the show literally instead of ambiguously-- then they'll have blown an opportunity to do good work.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-20, 22:53

Raylan's ex-wife is so sexy.

And Walton Goggins is back in tonight's episode. He's such an oily creep...I love his lines and delivery.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-04-30, 11:36

That shit just got good. Loved this weeks episode.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-30, 12:20

Exactly...because Goggins' Boyd Crowder character is squarely back into the mix, and no lame episodes involving trips to L.A. and run-of-the-mill, "perp o' the week" formula episodes.

Every episode should be Raylan and Boyd squaring off...verbally, physically, mentally and/or emotionally. And people getting shot and punched. That's it. That's all this show needs to do.

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-04-30, 12:27

Totally. I am with you brother!
Loved the final scene with his Dad too.

The whole thing is superbly written. Funny, but also a drama.
Really grown up stuff with some depth, but also light entertainment at the same time. Hard to put my finger on it, but I get a real feeling of satisfaction from watching it.

Like a good book with well rounded characters.

It's funny how similar the people are to our own "red-necks" who live in the South East of the UK.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-05-05, 20:04

I'm hooked. I've been trying to watch the episodes on off days because I'm out on Tuesdays. Caught last night's episode though, can't wait until next week. Eva is hot.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-05-06, 07:15

Oh. Damn! I was coming here to chat with pasoawe, who apparently found this discussion "good" and "helpful".

Can anyone tell me where he / she went? Whoever they were they sounded cool.

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-05-06, 09:12

Another great episode...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
And Goggins is out.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 19:23

Reminder...tonight's the S1 finale.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 21:35

Already? I am loving this series. Here's hoping it gets picked up for another season.

For those that are looking for something to replace it, "Lie To Me" is back.
Billed as a kind of crime solving version of "House".
I really like Tim Roth, so may be biased. But the first season was great IMO.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-08, 21:41

Yeah, I meant to put up a reminder about that!

I always catch the encore presentation at 11:00pm because I like to watch "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" on USA at 10:00 (when the first showing of "Justified" airs). So when you add in "Deadliest Catch", Tuesday night is my one real "block" of multi-hour viewing, from 9:00-midnight.

Chain-smoking crab fishermen, quirky NYC crime-solving and hillbillies shooting each other. Pretty much covers all the bases for your entertainment dollar.

"Justified", for me, starts in about another 17 minutes. I'm sure it'll get renewed...I think it did decent numbers and was met with mostly positive reviews. Then again, if they all just wind up blowing each other away tonight, there might not be a need for a second season.

I want to see Raylan and Boyd go at it with about 250 bullets each. And then I want Raylan's ex-wife to show up in a bubble-bath scene or something. That woman is F-I-N-E.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-08, 23:52

I like Eva(sp?) better than the ex.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-09, 00:07

That was a good episode tonight! Some things got taken care of in a rewarding way...

But it certainly leaves it open for another season, in that there is quite a loose end still in play!

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Just glad to see that Boyd didn't die - by Raylan's hand, or otherwise - and so these two cool, watchable characters will live on to spar and tangle another day. But I'm thrilled that Boyd's a-hole "daddy" - and his merry band of redneck idiots - all got plugged. They had it coming...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-09, 08:51

It was good. Can't wait to see what happens next season.
scratt
Veteran Member

2010-06-09, 09:23

Great ending. Looking forward to the next season also.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-09, 09:28

I just hope a new season returns within 6-12 months. Seriously, some of those FX-produced shows - "The Shield" in particular - would have their little 12-13 episodes and then be gone for a year-and-a-half! I found it tough to remember, or get back into, the show after such a long layoff. You'd forget much of what happened!

In any case, that must be the greatest gig ever as an actor...you work a short season (12 episodes, vs. the 22-26 on regular network shows) and you get a super-long break (to do movies, chill, renovate your house, etc.).

But it sure sucks for the viewer...