AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Help passing credentials through/with URL in a browser

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help passing credentials through/with URL in a browser
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-12, 13:46

So I'm doing work for a company that has some interesting measures in place. I need to be able to make REST API calls via a web browser that include basic authentication. I've tried something like
Code:
https://turtle@turtle.com:secretpassword@targetdomain.com/rest/orgUnits
401 Unauthorized. Same for a base64 encoded version of the usernameassword string.
Code:
https://dHVydGxlQHR1cnRsZS5jb206c2VjcmV0cGFzc3dvcmQ=@targetdomain.com/rest/orgUnits
I HAVE to use a browser to do this because I have to authenticate with a primary authentication and then authenticate to the actual application in the target domain.

If my coworker uses Insomnia or PowerShell he can get JSON results using get-credentials and entering his credentials. Because I have to go through the primary authentication this will just never work. I have access via web browser and that is it. No CLI of any flavor.

Is there a plugin for Firefox, Chrome or Edge that can serve to provide the basic auth (adding the proper header to the call) or is there some way I need to format the URL I just don't know?

Here is an example of the code being used by my coworker with Insomnia:
Code:
curl --request GET \ --url 'https://targetdomain.com/rest/orgUnits\ --header 'Authorization: Basic c3RydWxxxxxxxxZW4uY29tOkRxxxxxxxx3JpZ2h0MjIh'
This command does result in a JSON response.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-12, 13:49

Grr... turns out I can't install any plugins. I'm working on of a restricted desktop for this project and plugins are blocked.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-12, 15:47

Never mind. I figured out how I can do it with a specific URL in their org that doesn't do the double layered authentication. Must be done behind VPN.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-12, 18:26

::stands helplessly by wishing he could help::

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-13, 08:17

It is the thought that counts right?