User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

new to mac, couple questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
new to mac, couple questions
meepzork

2005-04-19, 17:15

hello all. 1st off just want to say so far im pretty happy with the ibook. i just have a couple questions:

1. i can tell the 4200rpm hdd is going to give me trouble based on just playing around with various apps. size wont be an issue, but access speed will. basically im going to start doing some medium multi track recording with garageband and im looking into hdd options. do i upgrade the internal 30GB or do i go firewire?(btw im running 1.25GB RAM). i was very suprised to learn that there is no possible way to upgrade an ibook hdd without voiding the warranty...

2. im having a hell of a time accessing windows shares from osx. accessing osx from xp was beyond simple, but not vice versa. i go to NETWORK, then the workgroup, then my xp machine. i sign in with admin credentials and it says that it cannot find the file. im stumped. the shares are set up correctly because i have no problem accessing them from other windows boxes. do i have to install apple talk or something?

thanks
Krientle

2005-04-19, 17:49

1) I'd just buy a firewire enclosure and install say a 200 gig drive in it. Both can be easily had off NewEgg, with the drive setting you back ~$100 and then enclosure ~$30-50, depending on brand, etc etc.

2) Connecting to windows shares is rediculously easy, there are a couple of easy ways to go about it.
A) get to a Finder window and then click Go->Connect to Server, then type smb:///ipaddress-of-windows-box
or...
B) get to a Finder window(which can be done by clicking on left most icon on the dock or simply clicking on the deskop) and pressing apple-k, then typing smb:///ipaddress-of-windows-box

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new iBook, I've been using mine non-stop since I bought it in January.

~ Krientle