User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Ready to convert - Need help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ready to convert - Need help
gator95

2005-05-11, 21:21

I am ready to convert back. I had a Powermac 7200 in college, but switched to Windows machines for work purposes. Here are my criteria.

1. Edit home videos and digital photos
2. Internet and email
3. Quicken
4.Word Processing
5. Spreadsheets
6. Wireless networking
7. Sync Palm Tungsten E

I am considering the mini and the iMac unless someone suggests a reason to look at another option. I am open to suggestions. I like the form factor on the mini although I will likely have replace my monitor, keyboard, and mouse thus making it more expensive. The monitor is a 17" CRT and neither the keyboard or the mouse is wireless. The iMac is nice because of the more current technology, but I am unsure of the combination monitor/computer. I have never been a big fan of combining parts since the whole thing is dead when any of the parts goes. Any ideas are appreciated. Feel free to ask me for more info if you think it will help point me in the right direction.

gator95
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-05-11, 22:33

Either one will do the job as long as you bump the RAM in the mini to 512 MB. I've not heard of any reason for concern with the combined monitor and computer on the iMac, but since the second revision just came out, any previous problems if there were any should be fixed. The mini will not be as quick with video editing, so that depends on how fast you want the job to be. If you have the extra money, I'd say go for the iMac.
JayReding

2005-05-12, 08:37

First, your criteria:
1. iMovie and iPhoto make this a breeze - much simpler than anything I've seen for Windows. Plus, they're free with a new Mac.
2. Macs handle this no problem - you can use Safari and Mail or Firefox and Thunderbird - all of which are free. (And did I mention no more worrying about viruses and spyware?)
3. Quicken indeed does have a Mac version, and it's indentical to the PC version.
4. There's Office 2004, which will handle your office needs. Apple also has iWork, which is newer but also quite capable.
5. If you're doing spreadsheets, you'll probably want Office 2004 for your Mac. That does add some cost. There are some alternatives, but you're probably used to using Excel anyway, so you might as well get Office. (Office 2004 is actually much better than the PC version IMHO.)
6. Make sure you get an AirPort card, which is extra, but Macs have no troubles connecting to wireless networks of all kinds.
7. There is a version of Palm Desktop for Mac, and I believe that iSync will also sync with it as well.

Looks like there's nothing on your list that should be a problem for a Mac.

If you're thinking about getting a new display, I'd say go for the iMac rather than the Mac mini. The iMac comes with everything you need and is considerably faster than the Mac mini. If the price difference isn't too much for you, the iMac is a great deal considering you get an excellent display thrown in for free. Now that 512MB of RAM comes standard, you'll also get enough RAM out of the box to handle your needs. Unless you're limited by budget, the iMac is a solid buy.

However, the Mini would work with your monitor and keyboard/mouse if you choose to go that route. It all depends on how much you want to spend - either way you'll be getting a good deal.