User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Another iBook and Powerbook battery recall.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Another iBook and Powerbook battery recall.
mers

2005-05-20, 11:11

As announced on macrumors, engadget, and US CPSC, Apple has issued another recall for batteries due to overheating and fire hazards.

"The recalled lithium ion batteries are used with the following computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4. The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078 and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 or 3X446 through 3X510. Consumers should remove the battery from the computer to view the model and serial numbers labeled on the bottom of the unit. No other PowerBook or iBook batteries are involved in this recall.

Computer model name Battery model number Battery serial number range
12-inch iBook G4 A1061 HQ441 – HQ507
12-inch PowerBook G4 A1079 3X446 – 3X510
15-inch PowerBook G4 A1078 3X446 – 3X509
"

Further details are available here.

Edit: And here's the recall page.

Last edited by mers : 2005-05-20 at 13:40.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-20, 16:44

Just got through to their web site. Estimated delivery time is 3-5 business days, but i bet it'll be thrice that.
kaupena

2005-05-20, 22:03

I was wondering why this one ran so hot. My thought was that if this new g4 ran this hot then they're NEVER going to get a g5 in there... Here's hoping...
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-23, 14:55

Wow. I sent in the request on Friday, and got it this morning. I have a dilema though, which I will present as 2 questions.

1. Does Apple gain or lose money as a result of people sending back their recalled battery?

2. How important is it to Apple that I send *my* battery back? Will they hunt me down after a few days?

My point is, my battery runs very cool, and I doubt it will ever overheat (I've ran it down to 10-15% every day and recharged it every night for 4 months). Now, I have 2 very nice iBook batteries. If it doesn't mean that much to Apple, I'd rather keep it as a spare to use on trips. That, and I'm visualizing sending my battery back and Apple either 1. melting it down and disposing of it, 2. paying out-of-pocket to turn in for recycling, or 3. paying to have it shipped back to the manufacturer. Does it really matter to Apple that much if they get it back?

Edit: I peeled off the return shipping label to see where my battery would go, and I saw something strange on the backside of the original label.

This must be a mistake, since 1. I never provided Apple with any billing info, and 2. It's a b0rked up battery, which is illegal for Apple to sell or distribute... so why would they say they're charging all this money?

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-05-23 at 16:15.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-23, 18:22

Or maybe I should return the old battery. I wouldn't want something like this to happen...

But seriously, would Apple mind if I keep the old battery? 6 out of almost a million is a pretty low failure rate...

You ask me for a hamburger.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-04, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
This must be a mistake, since 1. I never provided Apple with any billing info, and 2. It's a b0rked up battery, which is illegal for Apple to sell or distribute... so why would they say they're charging all this money?
They can still bill you for keeping the old battery.

And, they're pretty much required to take the old ones back -- that's part of doing a recall. If you keep the old battery, then you're effectively trying to get a new, additional battery for free, so it makes sense that you should be charged for it.

My old battery is boxed up already, and I'll be dropping it off for shipping later today.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-06-04, 05:03

Quote:
Just got through to their web site. Estimated delivery time is 3-5 business days, but i bet it'll be thrice that.
I think I sent my info on Wednesday night, and the new one came Friday (yes, in the same week).
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-04, 08:30

Not good. They switched suppliers now from the effected plant (to Taiwan if I recall)
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-06-04, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaupena
I was wondering why this one ran so hot. My thought was that if this new g4 ran this hot then they're NEVER going to get a g5 in there... Here's hoping...
If it's "running hot" in terms of this recall, it's already on fire. Your laptop isn't smoking, is it?

Feel again, and I'm sure you'll find that the hottest zone is where the CPU sits.
alschmid

2005-06-04, 16:43

Hello mac-gurus

Just to be sure (as I have a A1078 battery):
My serial number begins with 3K... and not 3X... so I'm not in danger, am I?

Ok, this sounds really dumb... but as I have my notebook on virtually all the time I just want to be super-sure...

Thanks
al

ps. other than the odd appartment being on fire, I'm really really happy with my PowerBook and I'll never (N-E-V-E-R) go back to the dark side...

pps. hmmm, when thinking it over, I'll have to code at a pc (pocket pc native app - course assignment) tomorrow... but I swear, I won't touch it for anything else...
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-06-04, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alschmid
Just to be sure (as I have a A1078 battery):
My serial number begins with 3K... and not 3X... so I'm not in danger, am I?
You're fine; my replacement battery's serial number starts with 3K as well.

It's the same battery model, just a different production run.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-06-05, 11:39

6 out of a million isn't a six sigma process.

usually 3 or less is what is considered good with +/- a process shift of 1.5 sigma
WinOSX

2005-06-15, 12:21

there is a lawsuit pending, though my thread was locked, you can read a few more details about the battery issue here:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7586
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-15, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOSX
there is a lawsuit pending, though my thread was locked, you can read a few more details about the battery issue here:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7586
There were NO details in that thread. That's why it was locked. Reading what our fearless leaders have to say will provide you with occasionally () important information, believe it or not.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-06-15, 13:45

Quote:
Apple iBooks and powerbooks have serious power issues with leaking batteries onto their motherboards. Acid is a fire hazard and the iBook or powerbook could catch fire. This is a serious issue apple is dealing with right now.
WinOSX:
I'm sure many people will look for you back here to remind us of your above-quoted inside info when such a lawsuit actually happens (after which your credibility should improve). Until then, you're just a Random Internet Poster - don't take it personally.

Welcome to AN.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-15, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
6 out of a million isn't a six sigma process.

usually 3 or less is what is considered good with +/- a process shift of 1.5 sigma
3.4 surely?
RC23

2005-06-17, 01:40

i've got a 3k'er although... this bitch runs so hot.

i guess thats just the powerbook way tho
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-17, 02:06

So CLOSE! Damnit, I have a 3X434! It has horrible battery life, would have loved to had to return it for a new battery!
Doe

2005-07-29, 20:11

I just filled out the form. Guess I will get it next week sometime. Are the new batteries any better (if you don't have a bad one now)?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-07-30, 15:19

Not necessarily "better", just "safer". But, if your battery is pretty old, you'll get your original battery life back.
danbanger

2005-08-04, 16:00

I may be missing something but I just recently purchased the new upgraded ibook about a week ago. I just saw this thread and I checked my battery and it says the model # is A1061. Is there anything else I am soppose to be looking for?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 00:39

Apple wouldn't ship a recalled product. You're fine.
Nils

Send a message via ICQ to Nils Send a message via AIM to Nils  
2005-08-06, 01:30

Quote:
But seriously, would Apple mind if I keep the old battery? 6 out of almost a million is a pretty low failure rate...
From the apple recall page:

"The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers."

New batteries are what, a hundred bucks? Is that worth a "fire hazard"? Esp since if your insurance company finds out after the fire that it was caused by your iBook and they then happen to find out you did not return the defective battery they surely won't cover any of the damage?

There's a word for your idea: "negligent".