Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-05-22, 14:07

Just Go With It™.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-05-22, 15:46

Yikes was also the codename for the first Power Mac G4 motherboard.

Replaced by Sawtooth three months later. Worst-timed Mac purchase I ever made.
Yikes!
BANNED
I am a duplicate account.

2023-05-22, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

At least someone actually knows what they are talking about.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-22, 17:19

What color?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-05-22, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes! Yikes was G4 socketed modified board from blue and white cased G3 board, code named Yosemite! Sawtooth came with Gigabit Ethernet and the much coveted AGP graphics slot, rather the old PCI slot and 10/100 Ethernet. I had machines with all three at one point or another, since it was cheaper to get an entire machine than just buying a replacement power supply when it went on my Sawtooth G4.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-05-23, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes! View Post
At least someone actually knows what they are talking about.
You see, now we know for sure that you're a bot. Because Frank777 has no frickin' clue what he's talking about, and all the real kids on this board know that!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-23, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
You see, now we know for sure that you're a bot. Because Frank777 has no frickin' clue what he's talking about, and all the real kids on this board know that!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-23, 18:41

Sony has apparently released their VR2 headsets.

- eye-tracking
- 4K HDR
- OLED
- priced $549

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-23, 20:34

Add $2500 for the Apple tax, and boom!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-30, 03:39

The Wall Street Journal has an article about killer apps for Apple's Mixed Reality headset. A passage in the article provided a huge "aha" for me when it mentioned a file system that uses three dimensional space.

I understand that I am decades behind the research on this technology, but I had not considered how useful muscle memory could be for this particular platform.

Expanding the desktop could be fun. Drawing in Illustrator without the cumbersome artifice of a mouse, painting in space, all of the stuff that Minority Report brought into the mainstream, used in plenty of sci fi since then.

I know all of this isn't new, but I'm trying to get a jump on what to expect.

It seems as if gaming and design remain the current best uses for anything that you need to strap to your face.

And FaceTime VR.

Maybe some Apple+ content, like sporting events. Making serial programs for a VR only audience seems too speculative, but they have to begin somewhere.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-30, 03:42

WAIT.

One more thought.

Have we discussed the waldos yet??

The one time that I used an Oculus made me realize that handheld controllers are required.

I didn't love them.

I'd rather have gloves.

What will Apple do?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-30, 17:45

AR Monday?
dglow

2023-05-30, 18:03

Can't wait, can't wait!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-31, 07:03

I woke up briefly a few hours ago, right from the middle of dreamland, with the idea "Ranged Reality" clutched in my fingers.

I can only guess that it was geofenced boundaries around different AR worlds, but I feel like it was a bigger idea.

Probably already been done, and I just don't know if.

Yikes!
BANNED

2023-05-31, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
You’re right. I’m going back to making the plastics
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-06-01, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes! View Post
You’re right. I’m going back to making the plastics

Gotta give to ya, you're a sport!
dglow

2023-06-01, 13:47

Quest 3 reveal today, with a lot of deets from Gurman.

Feels desperate for Meta to do this just before WWDC, but at $500 the price may look very nice.

Also: nice way to Osborne your $1500 Quest Pro. Yikes!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-02, 19:24

Yeah, that seems destined for a Harvard Case Study.

Just under 70 hours until the really good nerd battles begin. XD
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-06-03, 08:05

He's dead-on that Apple's entry into the market will ultimately work in favor of the low end options.

How soon will we be able to add our own content to maps, for the AR portion of the experience? I know that Google Maps allows users to add immersive images.

Can I visually track other Apple devices spatially in real time, for games and for industry?

Do these expand the capabilities of my AirPods in any way?

How soon can I attend a Taylor Swift concert from my living room?

Can I buy an Apple camera that lets me livestream in 3D?

I reserve the right to ask more questions, your honors.

dglow

2023-06-03, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Can I visually track other Apple devices spatially in real time, for games and for industry?
Rumored/speculated to work for iPhones, which would serve as a basic pointing+haptics controller.

Quote:
Do these expand the capabilities of my AirPods in any way?
Also rumored, for AirPods Pro 2 at least. Head-tracked spatial audio generated by the headset is the tie-in.

Quote:
How soon can I attend a Taylor Swift concert from my living room?
Immediately, but you won’t be able to find any tickets, lol.

Quote:
Can I buy an Apple camera that lets me livestream in 3D?
Yes, with the pass-through cameras on the front of the headset.

Last edited by dglow : 2023-06-03 at 18:28.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-05, 17:05

So is this about what everyone was expecting? Better? Worse? About the same as the others? How is everyone with the price?
Yikes!
BANNED

2023-06-05, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
So is this about what everyone was expecting? Better? Worse? About the same as the others? How is everyone with the price?
About what I expected but they presented it much more polished than I expected but they the lack of any type of real demo makes me think it’s still very far from the experience that they presented it as.

For what it is, the price is unsurprising and seems shockingly low. Apple charges $5,000 for a single XDR display. This in theory is better than an XDR display and has everything else it has. People’s sense of what technology should cost is very weird. There’s simply nothing like this to compare it to.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-05, 20:44

Agreed. This is them throwing the gauntlet down to the industry on how to do it *correctly* for markets beyond gaming.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-06-05, 20:53

I have to tell you, I am intrigued by the faux "face in the swim mask" that the goggles create to display to onlookers. How is it done? Does it simulate your eye movements and facial expressions? How does it accomplish this? How accurate is it?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-05, 21:23

It might be the avatar rendering, but they're using eye tracking and iris detection, so it does have inward facing cameras.

The detail that made my eyes bulge out was that the external display is a lenticular curved OLED, so perspective is correct based on the external viewer.

I mean... no detail left on the cutting room floor.

They're truly going for a device you can wear regardless of what the external world is doing. You're not isolated, you're integrated, and really, that's the whole point of AR.
dglow

2023-06-05, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I have to tell you, I am intrigued by the faux "face in the swim mask" that the goggles create to display to onlookers. How is it done? Does it simulate your eye movements and facial expressions? How does it accomplish this? How accurate is it?
They addressed this in the State of the Union preso. At setup, you turn the front of the headset toward your face. It scans you and creates an ML model that can generate your face as a 3D model in response to eye and face cameras. This model is used for the front screen, but also during FaceTime – other participants do not see video of you, but rather a synthetic you. Cool and impressive and just a bit creepy.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-05, 22:11

Good catch, watching the SotU presentation now.

Three questions off the top of my head...

1) Weight: Obviously not even close to final production, but approximately would be nice to know.

2) FOV: >4k per eye is high enough it may be bumping up against biological limits of perception (i.e. anything further is a waste of effort), but what's the angle of field of view like? Quest 2 has ~90°, but the human FOV is ~210° horizontal, and 150° vertical. That's *massively* important for immersive experiences.

3) Mac sharing: Will it let you bring over multiple Desktops? Better, will it potentially let the Mac share individual apps, to be displayed as individual windows? *A* screen is nice, but if I could have a Mac Studio sitting on my desk and could use the Vision Pro as an insanely large screen space, I'd be happy as a clam.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-05, 22:40

I suppose something like this is hard to demo/convey in a way that really drives it home. But I’ve watched this section of the keynote twice and I’m just not getting it. It’s gotta be one of those “you can’t fully ‘get it’ until you use it!” things. In which case, and at that price, I don’t see how it’s a hit/success. I watched and re-watched, and wanted/waited for that “omg, I get it…I see now!” moment, which never hit. I guess I just don’t see the point. Nothing in the unveiling presentation/demo makes me think/feel one bit differently than I did 24 hours ago. Maybe in 5-6 years, when it’s down to MacBook Air pricing and I’ve used one at Best Buy and it finally makes sense, but now? Today? I don’t get it. I just don’t need another “beepity, boopity” iThing that takes me further out of the world, my surroundings and those around me.

Everyone always talks about the “killer app” for such a new thing, what’s going to put it over the top and be the true, big mainstream draw, etc.

Not to be tacky, but “celebrity sex”. If you can experience a somewhat realistic “putting it to Jenna Ortega and/or Margot Robbie on your couch” kinda afternoon, that’ll be when people magically start to suddenly find $3,500 free and clear in large numbers.

Scoff/finger-wag, but you know damn well what this is going to devolve into. Any and all new tech inevitably becomes the latest, way to deliver/experience T&A content for neckbeard perma-virgins. Why would this be any different? When has that not been the case?!

The “killer app”? Easy: Celebrity snatch. Just watch…”hey, I got a day off. I can bang Black Widow or make the Kessel Run”. Never as easy/obvious as you might assume.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-06-05, 23:22

I'm just waiting for the first headlines next year when someone wearing this while driving causes an accident.

Count me on the meh what's the big deal side, due to the price point more than anything.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-05, 23:27

"that takes me further out of the world, my surroundings and those around me."

This is the first headset I've seen where integration appears to be a design goal, instead of isolation.

I don't think this is a consumer device, I don't even think this is a more money than sense consumer device.

This is a technology stake in the sand. "This is what the rest of you yahoos have to shoot for. Don't miss."

I will bet you that before this thing even ships, it's going to be "why are these headsets so isolating?" "Yeah, I hate that I have to pull it off my head to have a conversation." "Well, you just tap for pass-through..." "My boss/spouse/kid *hates* that, won't talk to me when I have it on" "Yeah, mine too..."

Headsets have distinct drawbacks for anyone not looking to escape the world for a while in a solo way. This just brought them to the fore, and headsets that don't address those issues in some way are just going to look... lesser.

Don't think of this as a product. Think of this as a double dog dare to the competition to try and do better. It sets a new bar, and has the possibility to change the conversation the same way the iPhone did. "No buttons?!? are they MAD?" "Well... why do *need* to have buttons on your phone?" "... I... but... we... but..."

The successful-at-scale product comes in the next iteration or two.