Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"J.R. Neumiller/RipVan100" = Jesus Front

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"J.R. Neumiller/RipVan100" = Jesus Front
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-07-23, 00:51

Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere...

I innocently ordered batteries and a charger from www.ripvan100.com. I got the product, seems fine. But along with it was a religious pamphlet. B.S. about being saved and being a sinner and all the usual psycho bile. I was livid.

I find that totally unacceptable for a company to do.

My email to them:

Quote:
While I received my package just fine and appreciate the good service, I am appalled that you would insert religious material into the package. It's a large world and most of the world does not share your faith. It should be attractive to join based on it's merits not by you shoving pamphlets in our faces. Regardless, no professional company should promote a particular religion, unless it is clearly indicated before purchase.

You wouldn't want pamphlets for VISHNU in your Wheaties or tracts for ISLAM in your kid's M&Ms. Stay out of my batteries.

No further sales from me, on principle. I have nothing against Christianity per se, just sneaky proselytizing.

Their reply:
Quote:
Hi John,

Point well understood. We don't mean to offend, ( here we go! - jq) but some will be offended no matter how they hear of God's work to redeem them from their sins. We are not afraid if we lose some or even all of our business, as we should suffer for the sake of Him Who has already suffered greatly for ours. It won't matter how many batteries we ultimately sell on the Internet if it makes us to forfeit our souls in the bargain. Our fruit is pleasing to GOD, as His commendation is our goal. If you are offended, its because of the message, not the messenger.

Romans 1:16, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

Sincerely,
***SIGH***

So if you loathe this kind of crap like I do, stay away from them.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-07-23, 00:56

but was it cheap?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-23, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
but was it cheap?

I personally have no problem with this at all. In fact, I applaud it. That said, it should be noted that I'm a conservative and very religious guy.

I think it's refreshing that someone actually has the balls to spread their message even though they know they'll lose business and offend people. Everyone is too PC nowadays. Sorry that you were offended by it, but that's how I feel.

Come waste your time with me
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-07-23, 01:37

Well, here's my followup, explaining why even a religious person/fellow Chistian should find it offensive.

See, it's simply his hypocrisy that is the worst part...

Quote:
Oh, but you are "ashamed of the gospel of Christ", for if you were not, you would proudly proclaim it on your website and make it clear to everyone that comes to you for business that it is so integral to who you are.

If you truly were not afraid if you lose some or even all of your business, you would make it clear prior to purchasing that proselytizing was an agenda of yours, right up front.

Instead you use trickery. Are lies pleasing to God? Is your greed pleasing to God?

Greed? Yes, greed, clearly. Had you professed the Gospel on the site, you would have lost business perhaps but you would be true to God.

Instead you chose to hide His word until the last minute, after you have made your money, like it is a shameful secret.

As it is now there is no "sacrifice" that you are making. Maybe you'll lose future sales but you are not apparently so committed as to risk losing initial sales.

I have respect for anyone proclaiming a religion openly. But it is the way you treated it like it is some illicit secret, hidden like nude magazines under a teenager's mattress. This is your method of commending God?

You completely hide His word from the world and instead sneak it in like an afterthought amongst the packaging, post-sale.

You don't commend Him on your site, instead you wrap yourself in a secular cloak so as to guarantee your audience.

It is indeed the messenger and his methods that are offensive.

But you're hardly a messenger. You don't even heed the words you recite. If you did you would not sin (deceive) for purposes of greed and use the Gospel as a salve to make up for your tactics.

You're out for a buck and secondarily, an illusory soul-saving ego trip. You don't fool me, you certainly don't fool God.

Believe me, I'd be just as upset if Canon had Shinto tracts in their camera packaging or if my made-in-Malaysia laptop comes with a Qur'an in the box.

-JQ

(Not that Shinto proselytizes)

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnq : 2004-07-23 at 01:46.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-23, 03:25

indeed, that is pretty low. But can I ask, what's this site? and why do you get your batteries from there?
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-23, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
indeed, that is pretty low. But can I ask, what's this site? and why do you get your batteries from there?
12 Sanyo 2300 mAh AAs @ $3.25/ea is pretty good. I ordered most of my NiMH stuff from www.greenbatteries.com. The guy who runs that site seems nice enough, and he handwrote a "Thank you" on my invoice every time, so that was cool. GreenBatteries sells the same cells for $3.95/ea.

EDIT:
Heh, compare Reseller Ratings for GreenBatteries.com and RipVan100.

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-07-23 at 05:55.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 06:57

Johnq, if this is the worst thing that happens to you, you're doing okay.

People like you and BR and others who absolutely freak out and lose their mind at the mere mention of religion or Christianity scare/irk me more than someone including a pamphlet in a package.

What do you care? The fact you have to take time to write them and engage them in some pissing contest when all you had to do was throw the fucking thing away and not think twice about it says more about you than this company.

IMO.

Otherwise sane, rational grown men lose their minds over things.

If I can put aside - and not even care - that Jobs is a Kerry supporter, then you should be able to buy some batteries from a place that inserted a pamphlet into your order. I'M the one with the bigger problem, but you don't see me freaking out, starting threads and pondering a switch to Dell.

Lighten up. God loves you, I'm sure.

johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-07-23, 08:46

I'm totally calm thank you.

I simply want you to answer, what if, when you opened up your new PowerBook, Apple included a Koran, or an Atheist pamphlet stating how "evil" religion is? It doesn't matter what the "it" is. But that is safely in the realm of hypothetical for now, to actually make you be bothered.

You only seem so tolerant just because it happens to "only" be Christianity.

So, 2 elements to my argument, both stated calmly:

1. If he's truly honestly trying to spread the Gospel, then why not from the start? Why post-sale.

2. Would he tolerate people from another religion doing the same thing with his purchases?

So I am not foaming at the mouth, nor am I specifically anti-Christian, I just think that professionalism has no room for religious promotion. - unless it is clearly indicated from the start.

Anyway it was certainly a good laugh, and I do have it made as far as being sheltered from that stuff, being in Boston. It was a blast of nostalgia from my visits to the south/midwest. My only real regret is having crumpled it up and thrown it away so fast. Ah, Hell, here I come...

Last edited by johnq : 2004-07-23 at 08:52.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-07-23, 09:28

all this bickering over imaginary friends
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
I simply want you to answer, what if, when you opened up your new PowerBook, Apple included a Koran, or an Atheist pamphlet stating how "evil" religion is? It doesn't matter what the "it" is. But that is safely in the realm of hypothetical for now, to actually make you be bothered.
Honestly? If it was a Koran, I'd probably think "oh, some PC sucking up to the Muslim community, huh? Must be part of Apple's new corporate diversity thing...". Honestly. Hey, you asked...

If it was an atheist pamphlet ragging on organized religion, I'd simply consider the source: godless Northern California left-leaning hippies. And mutter "typical..." and maybe insert some smart-ass comment concerning tofu, Ben & Jerry's or Tim Robbins.

Seriously, I'd kinda be taken aback by the crass shitheadedness of it, but I'd probably just fling it and fire up the PowerBook (you know, the IMPORTANT things in life) and remind myself that "it takes all kinds".

No harm, no foul.

That would be about the extent. I wouldn't contact Apple, nor would I return the PowerBook. I can separate stuff. I can watch an Alec Baldwin or Susan Sarandon movie and enjoy it a lot, even though I might not dig their politics. And I think Linda Ronstadt is a great singer. As is Ms. Streisand.

Quote:
You only seem so tolerant just because it happens to "only" be Christianity.
First, I'm not really a practicing, devout ANYTHING, so you can't really make that claim. I think, honestly, I seem "so tolerant" because I just see it as a big nothing, non-issue. So some company wants to preach or say something. I can do several things: I can listen and give it attention. I can ignore it and toss it away if it's of no interest to me. Or I can be moved to action of some sort, and contact the company to engage them in some way.

I'm the kinda guy that will most likely always opt for the middle route (ignore and toss it away if it's of no interest, realizing it's done me no harm, hasn't ruined my day, has no bearing on my enjoyment and usage of their batteries, etc.)

Quote:
So, 2 elements to my argument, both stated calmly:

1. If he's truly honestly trying to spread the Gospel, then why not from the start? Why post-sale.
I don't know. To each their own, I guess. All you have to do is not buy batteries from them again.

Quote:
2. Would he tolerate people from another religion doing the same thing with his purchases?
Probably not. I don't know, nor do I care. I don't know the fella...

Quote:
So I am not foaming at the mouth, nor am I specifically anti-Christian, I just think that professionalism has no room for religious promotion. - unless it is clearly indicated from the start.
Yeah, I don't know. All I DO know is that I can think of about 14,000 things that I consider more threatening or more likely to get my back up than something like this. Again, as a consumer, you now know this. All you have to do is find another battery company you like. For every one of you who is put off by this mixing of religion and business, there might be someone out there who appreciates it and finds it somehow comforting or thoughtful.

Freedom OF, not freedom FROM...

I have to put up with enough shit I find offensive or that goes against my beliefs or views, everytime I turn around. You filter it out and choose your battles, I guess. That's what I do. You kinda have to, really. If I got torqued up at everything I encountered in the course of a week that truly offended me and my sensibilities, I'd never get through the day or get anything done!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-23 at 09:36.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-07-23, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
If I can put aside - and not even care - that Jobs is a Kerry supporter, then you should be able to buy some batteries from a place that inserted a pamphlet into your order. I'M the one with the bigger problem, but you don't see me freaking out, starting threads and pondering a switch to Dell.
Right, but you know that not directly from Apple but from other sources, right?

What if your Apple PowerBook had a Kerry bumper-sticker included with it? yeah right...

Anyway don't see my argument as anti-Christian. I could care less. If the entire south were Hindu or atheists, I'd still not want tracts for their personal beliefs in my products, unless it was clear upfront.

I mean if someone buys a canvas bag from PETA, chances are they're getting an animal-rights pamphlet along with it. But if it were "Bill Smith, Inc." and the bag has a PETA animal-rights pamphlet along with it, it's totally different. One is voluntary association, the other is involuntary.

Don't switch to another battery supplier just because this one is Christian. Switch because they are Christian only when they safely have your money. It's all nice and secular and professional upfront, but post-sales, you get the religio-babble. It's the sneakiness that is the problem.

Last edited by johnq : 2004-07-23 at 09:41.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 09:40

Quote:
What if your Apple PowerBook had a Kerry bumper-sticker included with it? yeah right...
I'd probably laugh my ass off at the outright cheesiness of it. Then I'd gently lay it in the toilet and use it for pissing target practice...

Or give it to one of my bubbleheaded friends who'd stick it on their Element or Volvo...

johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-07-23, 09:48

LOL, no I'm pretty sure you'd also start a WTF thread on 'nova and have a good rant about it, and even send a WTF to Apple...

That's all I did.

I too had a chuckle and crumpled up the piece of paper and "went on with my life", don't worry.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 09:54

Yeah, maybe. At MOST, I'd post a mini-rant here (but trying to be more humorous than angry about it because this kind of thing just doesn't get me angry as much as bemused). I'm realistic enough to know that contacting Apple about it wouldn't amount to anything.

"Um, yes, Mr. Scates...I'll be sure to pass all this on to Mr. Jobs. Yeah. Uh, huh. Oh, I know. Yes sir. Good point. Yeah. Mm-mmm. Huh. Yeah. Okay, you have a good day, sir." *CLICK* "What an asshole...probably a Rush listener..."

"I used a Dell before I used a Mac...but they're both fine machines. Umm, oh yeah: Halliburton! BOO!"

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-23, 09:58

Get a room, ya' lovebirds!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-23, 10:09

Hey, that's a cool smiley! Give me a kiss...and one for applenut too.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-24, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
all this bickering over imaginary friends
Haha, that's hilarious. Have to remember that one.
Akumulator

2004-07-24, 01:08

The same thing happened to me. I don't remember the company, but it was some plastics company that I bought empty dvd cases from. I thought it was strange, but just threw it in the trash.
Akumulator

2004-07-24, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Hey, that's a cool smiley! Give me a kiss...and one for applenut too.
How's this one? btw, why's applenut's name in red at the active users list?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-24, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
btw, why's applenut's name in red at the active users list?
red = banned
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-24, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
red = banned
Wasn't he just recently unbanned from AI, or was it he could post here since this was a new forum for everyone? How long is he banned for, I mean, he'll fight with anyone, but the guy is funny.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-24, 09:31

No, he's really not. Needlessly hateful and mean to everyone? Yeah. Funny? Not especially...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-24, 16:34

Check your Private Messages, ast3r3x.