AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

CrossOver Public Beta 1 Out

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CrossOver Public Beta 1 Out
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-08-31, 11:45

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

I don't have much to say about this since I don't have an intel Mac...but I am very interested in how it performs. Can anyone try it out?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-31, 12:27

Hmm, that looks like a very interesting solution. I'm also waiting on whatever VMWare is going to bring to the table.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-31, 12:38

It's just Wine, but no longer free, and a bidding system for getting apps supported.

12 apps out of their database of 2000 are 100% working.
Virtualy any I looked at were untested.

And they have some crazy bids from people for them get certain apps to work.

Wonderful piece of Spam off the back of the Open Source Community.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-08-31, 13:18

Not spam...just some news pertinent to the Mac community posted in the appropriate forum..sounds like you're just jealous they are making some money
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-31, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
It's just Wine, but no longer free, and a bidding system for getting apps supported.

12 apps out of their database of 2000 are 100% working.
Virtualy any I looked at were untested.

And they have some crazy bids from people for them get certain apps to work.

Wonderful piece of Spam off the back of the Open Source Community.
What?
Quote:
CodeWeavers is a major contributor to the Wine project, a free software / open-source software project that helps Windows applications run on different operating systems, such as Linux and Solaris, and employs the project lead, Alexandre Julliard.
Your assertion seems completely unfair.
Miko
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 16:39

So Crossover doesn't run all x86 apps natively? It has to be made to run, let's say 3DS Max?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 17:00

Yup. They add in the functionality that apps require as they go along. The most common functionality gets put in first, obviously, and then they add in what they need to as they need to.

Makes much more sense than waiting until they have a 100% complete version before releasing anything.
Miko
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 20:14

Ahh ic, well I hope 3DS Max makes the cut, I didn't see it on the list for OSX or linux?
Enki

2006-08-31, 20:27

I doubt you will. No chance they are going to try to port the full Windows versions of OpenGL or DirectX. Not only that but it would still be slow as hell from the translation layer.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
What?
Your assertion seems completely unfair.
Perhaps.. But it is little more than Wine repackaged, and with a bidding system to get the apps you want into the compatibility list. As it stands that list is pathetically short.

With the money they are charging, and what they are offering over Wine, seems to me like they are trying to recoup (in spades) all the time they put into Wine "as major contributors".

I don't care how people make money, or how much they make.. Good luck to 'em.

I just think it's a bit cynical, that's all.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
kscherer
Which way is up?

2006-09-01, 00:07

Here at our store, we smell a HUGE security leak with Crossover. The thing stuffs apps into the User folder, deep down in the library. You have to authenticate in order to install Crossover, but not the windows apps. We loaded the software and then installed Firefox (PC version) for a proof-of-concept thing and were quite concerned. We then downloaded an M-audio driver through Firefox and could not make heads or tails of where it stuck the file, until we ran a Spotlight search for it. Again, the file was stuffed deep in the Library folder and could be installed or self-executed with NO authentication.

Our concern is that someone could write a little-nasty that would authenticate through Crossover and take your Mac for a smack-ride!

We don't trust it, and it won't be finding a home on any of our systems until someone can demonstrate some security.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
solinari6

2006-09-01, 09:02

I downloaded it and gave it a try. Installed the binary news reader Grabit! which wasn't on the supported list. It did install (with a minor error) and the program runs. Kind of buggy though, and crashes at random. I'm not overly impressed, though I guess that should be expected with unsupported apps.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-01, 09:08

I prefer to keep Windows apps in their own sandbox so that they can piss and shit on each other without messing with rest of my stuff. I use Parallels to that.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-09-01, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I prefer to keep Windows apps in their own sandbox so that they can piss and shit on each other without messing with rest of my stuff. I use Parallels to that.
Perfect!
seek3r

2006-09-01, 16:16

Crossover Office is *the* major contributor to WINE, not *a* major contributor. Now, if you want to see someone (legally) ripping off the wine project check out Cedega...

Also, as a user of cxoffice on the linux side, it has some significant advantages over vanilla wine, including some better compatability, the ability to vote on where dev dollars go, and support...

Last edited by seek3r : 2006-09-01 at 16:21.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-02, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Our concern is that someone could write a little-nasty that would authenticate through Crossover and take your Mac for a smack-ride!
Howso? CrossOver doesn't run under higher privileges at all. None of the binaries I looked at were set to setuid.