Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

To Grad School, or Not To Grad School?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
To Grad School, or Not To Grad School?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-07, 21:06

I'm halfway through my undergrad work at this point, and I'm coming to the time where I need to start thinking about what paths to take after graduation, but I'm a bit torn. I'm going to finish with a degree in News/Editorial Journalism and a minor in Computer Information Systems. I would actually rather work as a Web developer (as I'm doing now) than as a journalist (I think), but I'm also toying with the idea of grad school. I know many of you have advanced degrees, so I thought I would present my decision here.

In a perfect world, I would just go ahead and go after double master's degrees in journalism and information systems. However, there are a few complicating factors.

The first, of course, is money. I'm in considerable debt already (damn private school), and I'm getting married right after graduation. My future bride is in some debt, but not quite like me. The trick is that my debt might magically go away some time in the next six months or a year (I'll leave details out, as that's pretty private). However, her debt would remain, and I would essentially be without income while I'm in school (I don't do well working full-time and studying full-time). She's studying to be a teacher, and that's not exactly a gold mine.

The next complication is geography. We'll be settling in central Indiana as long as she can get a job here, and that doesn't leave me with a lot of school options. By not a lot, I mean approximately one.

Next up to bat is what to go to grad school for if I do continue. Ultimately, if I do move on, the goal is to teach at the college level. I'd also like to write a book or two in the computing field. So now if I do go on, I have to decide on a field. Dual master's degrees is one thing, but dual Ph.D's would kick my ass.

Any thoughts?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317