Who cares? At this point, it's entirely inconsequential. 22 55.00%
Cold beer and a sex tape, please. 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Princess Diana: the inquest begins
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-07, 21:20

The inquest into Diana's death begins with various legal challenges. As explained below, Fayed's father believes the car crash that killed Princess Diana and his son was NOT an accident. He believes it was intentionally caused, despite the findings of a three-year investigation that said the crash was accidental.

So what do *you* believe? Do you think the crash 'might' have been intentionally-caused, or do you think it was completely accidental?

Poll to follow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/ndiana08.xml

Quote:
The Queen made it clear at the time of the princess's divorce that she remained a member of the Royal Family. Historically, any inquest into the death of a member of the Royal Family must be heard before a jury drawn from the sovereign's household. Lady Butler-Sloss will hear arguments on whether this can be successfully challenged legally and a joint inquest be allowed.

Challenging this will be Dodi Fayed's father, the Harrods owner Mohamed Fayed, who remains convinced that the couple were murdered despite the conclusions of the three-year investigation by Lord Stevens that their deaths were an accident.

Mr Fayed would not want his son's inquest to be heard before a jury from the Royal Household as he maintains that the couple were killed by "the Establishment".

Mr Fayed's legal team, including Michael Mansfield, QC, and Patrick Roche, will be arguing for a joint inquest, held before a jury of ordinary men and women. They will claim that the princess was no longer a member of the Royal Family.

Michael Cole, a spokesman for Mr Fayed, said: "We think there should be a joint inquest as is normal practice when people die together and that there should a jury of 11 ordinary men and women. As we know, Diana was booted out of the Royal Family the minute her decree absolute came through."

Mr Fayed also wants the main dossier compiled for Lady Butler-Sloss by Lord Stevens and his team to be made public. It includes witness statements that were not published in full.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-07, 21:30

Accidental. Well, not completely...had the papparazi not been acting like the idiots they are, they probably wouldn't have been driving at those speeds in an effort to get away from them.

But I don't believe anyone intentionally set out to kill anyone. Never have.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-07, 21:40

Agreed. Fayed is a bit of a trouble maker, and understandably a father who has lost an heir..

There is also a lot of history here, which all started out with Fayed's attempts to get a British passport, and it being blocked - he says by certain higher echelons of UK society....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-07, 21:53

I don't think Diana's family would regard the issue of the cause of her death to be inconsequential.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-07, 21:56

Who Cares!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-01-07, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Who Cares!
Then don't post in the thread. That's what other people do when there's a thread topic that isn't of interest to them.

Back on topic, I agree that it was probably just them trying to get away, and driving too quickly because of it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-01-07, 22:16

Wait... I am getting chastised for putting my answer down?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-07, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Wait... I am getting chastised for putting my answer down?
Misunderstanding, don't make this an OT discussion please.

-----

Anyway, I also don't see how this "news" is much more than a new attempt to drag more publicity out of the tragedy. I don't understand the British royal family, or why the "bloodline" would be worth killing a princess over, so I would say that the whole thing was an accident. If I cared. (or was old enough to know who Princess Diana really was)
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-01-07, 22:42

I wasn't intending on taking that discussion any further...

In any event, yeah... It was an accident, tunnels can be dangerous especially when surrounded by hounding motorcycles on a rainy night, and especially when slightly tipsy...

Regardless, why are we so fascinated by the Royals?

The evening news was filled with suggestions that Willy had proposed to his absolutely gorgeous girl friend...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-07, 22:58

This is one of my major pet peeves. Why are Americans so frigging fascinated with the British Royal Family? A) They're all figure-heads, B) They have no bearing on things in this country, C) There's no reason people should look up to them like Gods (which is the way Princess Diana was looked at). They're just normal people who were born into the right family; there's nothing special about them IMO. It's like even in death and even after her accident was ruled not a murder, Princess Diana gets more air play than friggin Darfur. It's just ridiculous. She's dead, it was an accident, it was unfortunate. Let's move on, or shall we all continue to lament the princess of Monaco and other dead figureheads too?

I just don't get it. If you're a 12 year old girl, OK... a real modern princess is a cool thing. Otherwise WTF.

...into the light of a dark black night.
judeobscure

2007-01-07, 23:14

It's not just royals. It's celebrities which is what royal's are. Why pay attention to any of them athlete's, actor's, royal's, politicians and their antics?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-07, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
It's not just royals. It's celebrities which is what royal's are. Why pay attention to any of them athlete's, actor's, royal's, politicians and their antics?
Chaton

Send a message via AIM to Chaton Send a message via MSN to Chaton  
2007-01-08, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
I agree. Why should so much attention be paid to people who are just doing their jobs?

I myself only just remember Diana. For all I can remember of her was that she helped children in Developing countries.

Having said that. Dont people still look up to Gandhi? He wasnt any different from anyone else, but now he's a historical icon. IMO, people make figure heads of people because they are there. They can be touched. I suppose they give people a feeling of hope because 'God' cant be seen or touched.

Due to budget constraints the lights at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off

15" MacBookPro/ 30G Video iPod/ New iPod Shuffle
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-01-08, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaton View Post
IMO, people make figure heads of people because they are there. They can be touched. I suppose they give people a feeling of hope because 'God' cant be seen or touched.
And people's perceptions change after someone's death...

Heck, look at Saddam.. He's a Martyr now!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-01-08, 04:52

For someone who supposedly cares for his son, Al Fayed is causing a lot more unnecessary heartbreak for everyone involved.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-08, 05:02

Wait, I thought this was AppleNova and not the Daily Express?

The Daily Express is an ultra right wing tabloid that is obsessed with the Diana story. I don't exaggerate when I say that Diana makes headline news several days of the week when there are many more important things to report. Their line of thought is that the deaths of Dodi and Diana were coverups by the 'establishment' and are currently on a crusade to reveal the truth. This paper also won a prize run by The Late Edition in the run up to Christmas for printing more 'Muslims are ruining Christmas' stories than any other paper. It's also the paper my parents buy daily

With respect for Diana, I think that this story should just be put aside so her sons and other relatives can get on with their lives after what I believe was just a tragic accident.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2007-01-08, 10:53

According to a confident of Diana, the Princess did not wanted to marry Al Fayed.
She was in love with an handsome pakistan surgeon. As he did not want to live with her, she decided to date with Al fayed, in order to make the surgeon jealous (or something like that)

The conspiracy theory is idiot. Diana was not a threat for the monarchy. The english monarchy (like the monaco one) encoutenred several scandals in the past, and none of them, killed it
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-08, 19:53

*shakes head*

I say again... WTF.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-10-18, 12:25

Interestingly, a receipt and an engagement ring, purchased hours before their death, was found in Dodi's apartment.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-18, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Interestingly If anyone still cares, which I doubt, a receipt and an engagement ring, purchased hours before their death, was found in Dodi's apartment.
T,FTFY.

When this story comes on the news, I change the channel. She died in a car crash over 10 years ago. The country should have moved on by now.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-10-18, 12:33

Unless a sex tape is released, I'm not giving a shit about anything Diana related. Ever.

Hmm. The weirdest thing. I just had an image of a sex tape of her with the boyfriend going down on her, her grabbing him hard by the ears, and then him saying "jesus christ, what is it with you and the fucking ear pulling?!"

Does that me a bad person?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-18, 12:35

While I also fail to care too much, it does make a difference whether it was an accident or murder. 10 years is nothing in a murder case. They need to find out what happened, but they should just do it in private and only speak up when they're done ...
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-10-18, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Unless a sex tape is released, I'm not giving a shit about anything Diana related. Ever.
You would want to see Prince Charles in a sex tape? That's sick dude.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-10-18, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
You would want to see Prince Charles in a sex tape? That's sick dude.
I'm sure she had more sex with people *not* named Charles.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-18, 12:39

Oh, yeah. She named him Charley. Or Char.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2007-10-18, 15:02

Who cares, this has gone on too long.

Far too many times do I pick up the papers on my lunch break and there is some article about Diana highlighted on the front page. That means one of 2 things, either people in the UK need to let go. Or my company needs to stop buying such crap newspapers for the cafeteria.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-10-18, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Joe*
Or my company needs to stop buying such crap newspapers for the cafeteria.
The Diana Express and the Daily Hate Mail both have an endless morbid fascination with the whole affair. One has to assume that's because their readers do too.

Yuck.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-18, 16:46

If I lived in the UK, I'm sure I would be sick of seeing Diana stories in the news too.

However, I did see a discussion a few weeks back, on BBC International, I think, where they said that a fairly sizable number of people in the UK (60%, I seem to recall) actually believe the car crash was 'not' an accident.

Was that news discussion erroneous in mentioning such a high figure?

Just wondering.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-10-18, 16:54

That figure sounds about right, Windswept. I'm not a huge believer in conspiracy theories and I don't have a horse in this race, but murder wouldn't surprise me particularly (though I'd bet against it if I had to guess).

What would surprise me would be any kind of closure in this case!

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-18, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
but murder wouldn't surprise me
Whoa!

Really?

The thing is, Dorian, that a lot of people picture Brits (especially older ones) sitting around drinking tea and being polite.

To think that MI5/MI6 would be ordered to murder Diana, to prevent a Muslim from becoming stepfather to the future king of England is pretty... shocking, to say the least, and doesn't exactly fit in with that polite, tea-drinking scenario. Know what I mean?