Space Pirate

2023-05-18, 19:41

The new 2024 Tacoma video is out NOW!!!

https://youtu.be/o-z7fMnu5RE

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-05-18, 19:56

I would have liked to see an SR5, but I know they will never show that in a promo.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-19, 00:55

Here's a great first glimpse at four of the trim levels, from a pretty good review channel on YouTube. They were included in an early screening for journos.

https://youtu.be/X04Z1AAU_qc

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-19, 09:20

No look at anything other than TRD and Trailhunter in that video. Toyota didn’t bring any of the lower specd units to the showing, that’s the norm.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-19, 09:33

I'm glad to see they have the extra cab or however they market the name. I'm not going to get the Tacoma though. It is just to big for my needs. The hybrid is a nice option though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-19, 13:19

They brought back the Pre-Runner in a 2-door form with leaf springs and a full 6 foot bed. Probably the most affordable configuration?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-19, 14:46

Suppose so. Only quad cab SR5 and up in Canada, once again. Toyota Canada clearly has no interest in the work truck market.
Yikes!
BANNED
I am a duplicate account.

2023-05-19, 21:58

That is quite possibly the ugliest and most Denver bro vehicle I have ever seen.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-07-16, 07:39

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/g...171604535.html

Looks like I'm switching from GM in my next truck. Probably will switch to Ford.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-07-16, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/g...171604535.html

Looks like I'm switching from GM in my next truck. Probably will switch to Ford.
As a Ford owner, just don’t. Find another brand, unless you enjoy 3-6 recalls in 2-3 years. Ford is going all in with Android in the future as well, so CarPlay will likely be dropped too.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-16, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Ford is going all in with Android in the future as well, so CarPlay will likely be dropped too.
I have not read any stories about Ford dropping CarPlay, so this is news to me.

Honda has gone with Google as their primary onboard system which, combined with a disenchantment with their design language, is pushing me toward Toyota.

What a strange time.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-07-16, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I have not read any stories about Ford dropping CarPlay, so this is news to me.

Honda has gone with Google as their primary onboard system which, combined with a disenchantment with their design language, is pushing me toward Toyota.

What a strange time.

They haven’t said the are dropping CarPlay, like GM, but given that they are moving from Microsoft “Sync” to the same Google sysytem as GM, Honda WV etc it is somewhat likely. Google has no incentive to make CarPlay work with their system.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-22, 06:19

I see that Honda is building their new EV (the "Prologue") on a Chevy platform.

But here's something that just made me sad...

I found an article about Honda's new design for their compact SUV, the HRV.

It's a pretty good looking little gizmo; nice styling.

I was interested.

Then I started reading about it, and watching videos, and Honda has disappointed me again with their weak water.

The car is powered by a 2-liter 4-cylinder engine, which only delivers 158 horsepower.

Reading descriptions by owners on Reddit (crosses self) the poor little thing struggles to accelerate when there are passengers in the vehicle.

I hate being picky, but what a letdown.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-07-22, 07:42

Those CUVs kind of suck all around. Toyota gave their similar CUV a boost with the hybrid system in the Corolla Cross (gas only model is considered very weak on power), but good luck getting one.

Not going to get more power in those, since those vehicles exist to help manufacturers hit EPA fleet numbers to make up for the big stuff (trucks) they would rather sell you.

Last edited by PB PM : 2023-07-22 at 11:24.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-07-22, 10:43

I will say, the Toyota Hybrids do have some get up and go. Not like a Mustang or Charger, but still some guts.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-07-22, 11:21

Yeah they do. My 08 Camry Hybrid had more combined power than the Maverick Hybrid, I miss the spunk of a 6.5 0-60. At least the Maverick 7.5 0-60) isn’t as bad as my 2013 RAV that was slower than a cow at around a 9 second 0-60.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-02, 19:16

Toyota unveiled the 2024 Land Cruiser this week.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/landcruiser/

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-08-02, 20:22

I haven't heard anything about price, guess that's not out yet? How much do you think they'll want. $80k or $110k?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-13, 16:30

My journey to a new vehicle has had many twists and turns over the past 5 years and it isn't over yet.

For quite some time I rapidly followed the rumors of a new Ford Bronco, until the rumor became an announcement, and then became reality.

Only then did I face the facts that I needed a daily driver, not an adventuremobile.

At this point, I am currently considering a Subaru wagon of some description, a Toyota RAV4, and even a Honda CRV.

They each have their fatal flaws.

The Subarus are trail savvy yet comfortable, but they have really questionable computer interfaces and low horsepower.

The RAV4s check a lot of boxes, but they also have low horsepower until you get into the hybrid versions, and are said to have floaty steering.

The Hondas are competently boring.

So I backed out to consider other SUVs that have more horsepower.

The stupid Bronco Sports ring the more horsepower bell in the 2-liter variation.

And then I saw the yellow and white "Heritage" edition. What a dumb yet fun looking car. And it really does work off road. It even bears some of the Jeep models in traction control.

Some reviewers are condemning it for the price point.

The search continues.

Very soon I will begin test driving some of these for myself.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-08-13, 16:58

For what it’s worth, I hate driving the new Subarus. We didn’t drive my wife’s lease for the last 8 months she had it. The new steering is awful.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-13, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
For what it’s worth, I hate driving the new Subarus. We didn’t drive my wife’s lease for the last 8 months she had it. The new steering is awful.
I do remember that discussion from a few months ago! Very disappointing. Also the auto start thing?

I think it's funny I'm finally looking at the stupid wannabe Bronco, which is built on the same platform as the Maverick and Escape.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-08-13, 19:14

Don't get a Ford, just don't. Save yourself the headache. So many stupid recalls and terrible dealerships. I'm not saying the vehicles are outright bad, but in terms of build quality they aren't great IMO. The after sale experience leaves a lot to be desired and totally killed it for me. Just buy the boring Toyota or Honda.

The Bronco sport is so small compared to a CRV or RAV. I've been behind a few, they so slow compared to the Maverick, and most of the owners I've seen are young guys so it's not a grandma or grandpa driver thing. Maybe they were all the 3 banger, I don't know.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-08-14, 09:27

Yeah, I have a 2021 gas Rav4. I don't have any issues with the steering, tbh, but I'm not really a "performance driver" - unless Toronto traffic counts.

The power is a bit lacking indeed - I ordered the hybrid but it never came, so I ended up with the gas version. Although - what I've found is that the "Eco/Normal/Sport" selector makes a lot more difference than any previous car I've had with that option. It's a lot more fun to drive in Sport.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-08-14, 10:24

My wife's 2015 Subaru Forester's Sport mode is ridiculously fun on a twisty two lane pass over the Cascades. Takes it from a solid, comfortable ride to a highly responsive beast that is smoothest at about 75mph.

Granted, that's 25mph higher than the curve warning signs, but whatchagonnado.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-15, 07:08

The Honda CRV Hybrid put in a dismal performance on the stationary slip tests and off-road course for the TFL channel. I just can't do that to myself.

https://youtu.be/cX9z6N72lMU

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-08-15, 07:48

Remember those are OEM tires, they suck. If you are worried about winter, get winter tires and you be fine. Never had AWD during winter, and it’s never been a big deal.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-08-21, 09:48

Toyota just relaunched the Landcruiser 250 for North America (called Landcruiser Prado everywhere else). Uses a 4cyl NiMH hybrid rated for 27MPG and proper offroad 4WD system. I'm intrigued...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-09-10, 22:08

It seems that the V6 is truly dea--- wait, what's this?

The Mazda CX-90 has an inline V6 engine combined with hybrid?

What even IS a Mazda car these days?

Are they even any good?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-09-10, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
It seems that the V6 is truly dea--- wait, what's this?

The Mazda CX-90 has an inline V6 engine combined with hybrid?

What even IS a Mazda car these days?

Are they even any good?

Mazda is not bad at all, very good reputation since they shed most of the stuff from the years they were co-owned by Ford. My neighbor has a 2019 or 2020 CX-9 (not 90, it's new), loves it, trouble free. I saw an in depth review of the CX-90 by a mechanic (Toyota Master Tech, but he knows his stuff). If you have 40 minutes, see his full review of it on YouTube. He liked the car, but thinks the engine system is needlessly complicated, and would be very expensive to repair if you keep in long term. The first 14 minutes covers the engine and power-train. He says any work that you need to do on the engine requires dropping the engine! Yikes! It's a mild hybrid, so the electric motor is there for power, not fuel saving.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-12-23, 17:07

After 1 1/2 years with the Ford Maverick Hybrid, some thoughts for anyone still thinking of getting one of these trucks. Quick version, do it with caution and knowing you will likely have problems. Is it a Ford thing? From research, yeah. Should I have listened to my gut feeling about Ford's and not bought one. Yeah. Now onto the long version.

1. More recalls. Just got the 6th recall this week. Yeah, SIXTH. The last two are software updates for programing problems, so not a huge deal I suppose. Most recent is for programing of the turn signals not giving a warning if a bulb is out. Seriously? I mean how long has this stuff been in vehicles? This is the basics Ford! Got side airbags and one software update done in November. Then had the 12v battery cable replaced, called it a customer satisfaction program, but let's be real it's a recall. Guess that makes it 7. In the process they found that the 300 amp fuse for the hybrid inverter was bad, apparently this is common. In total my truck was in the shop for over a week in November, two different appointments. Dealership did a very good job, considering they had to take half the truck interior apart for one of them. Still waiting on a engine fire recall fix, after 1 1/2 years. Seriously Ford, get your $hit together. Don't waste my time and cheap out, just fix it.

2. Still great on gas. Over 1 1/2 years I'm averaging around 45MPG (5 ish/L 100km) in the city and mid-30s on longer highway trips, which is nice for a vehicle this size (45MPG is my over all).

3. Bugs with the infotainment system. I think recent updates have improved it, but I feel like there are some build quality issues. Sometimes the system pops, or randomly reboots after making a popping noise. I wonder if the thing has bad capacitors that is causing that?

Would I buy the truck again knowing what I know now? I feel kind of 60/40 about it. Considering how much recalls must be costing Ford, they should just build the things better in the first place. 60% No, because it just feels like one day it's going to die on me, even though I've never had a break down to date. Not because of a bad hybrid battery pack, or bad body construction, but because of some lower quality part, or shoddy programing. 40% is all about the hybrid powertrain (which I loved in my Toyota, and now in the Ford), and the utility. Was I foolish to believe Ford could make a good vehicle? Yes. Would I fall for it again? Heck no. To be clear I wouldn't touch the gas only version of this truck either, or any other Ford for that matter.

Side note, I had a loaner Ford Escape while my truck was in. Wow, I didn't think there could be a vehicle with worse quality than the Maverick, but Ford pulled it off. Let's just say I was very happy to get my truck back.