AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Just call me Regan...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just call me Regan...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 12:00

I spelled it right, trust me.

NOTICE: following thread involves a vomiting episode, so proceed with caution...or skip altogether if those things aren't your bag. But it's mostly humorous/entertaining (in hindsight), and fairly light on any gory details, so live a little.

Been feeling lousy the past 48 hours. Cramps, sweating, hands quivering, etc. Figure maybe I ate something bad, but I've not had anything heavy, spicy, out-of-the-ordinary, etc. this week. So it's been a mystery. It's gotten progressively worse, but I pretty much have to already be dead before I'll go see a doctor, so...

Anyway, I went to bed last night, sweated all night. Sheets were soaked when I stirred awake around 4:00am. I was completely covered in sweat, like I'd run a marathon. I scooted over to a dryer spot (ewww...I know) and fell back asleep, thinking "I'll deal with it in the morning...I'll do some laundry, etc."

Woke up again around 7:15, still drenched in sweat and kinda concerned. I sat up and in the millisecond it took for me to think "uh-oh, I think I'm gonna be sic..." KA-BOOOOM! Ye olde projectile oral expulsion. It wasn't green, and there was no priest in the room, but I still felt possessed by Captain Howdy.

All over me, all over my sheets. I was going to wash them anyway, but now the phrase "lost cause" came to mind. So they got wadded up into a trash bag and taken outside. And I washed/scrubbed my mattress anywhere I saw a little spot, but also took the opportunity to flip/rotate the thing, so it's on the bottom now. I got my other sheets out of the closet and threw them in the laundry, just so they'd be as fresh, clean and nice-smelling as possible when I put them on.

Still feel lousy (weak, wobbly), but it feels like whatever was in me making me really sick the past couple of days has left (and is probably out in the garbage can). So I'm feeling better in some ways. Just hate that I've spent my morning doing cleaning and laundry on the one day I least feel like doing so.

In 42 years, I've never been unable to make it to a toilet or garbage can if I felt a puke session coming on. This was a first, to have it come on so suddenly and violently, with no advance warning. It was literally about one full second, two at the absolute most, between me realizing it was gonna happen and it happening. In fact, I was raising up to dart to the bathroom and hug the toilet and I didn't even make it upright.

So, yeah..."The Exorcist" kinda came to mind.

Disgusting, I know. But we're all friends here and I've read worse threads.

In fact, I'll go back up to the top and put some sort of friendly "content warning".
AWR
Veteran Member

2011-03-10, 12:06

Ooh, sorry to hear about that, pscates - that sounds truly awful!

Hope it clears up fast!

I remember Bush Sr. tossing his cookies at a State dinner in Japan (edit: sitting next to the Prime Minister I think ) in the early 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 12:10

Oddly enough, as I'm sitting here right now, I've felt better than I have since Monday evening. Tuesday and yesterday were just an ugly, painful blur. I'm actually feeling better by the minute, it seems. I guess I ate something that didn't agree with me and was wreaking havoc, and it finally wanted out (or my body played club bouncer and tossed it out).

Whew. Not a good way to wake up, though. Kinda starts the day off on a weird, funky note.

As it was happening, the only thing running through my head was "you gotta be kidding me".

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-10, 12:12

Sounds like what my son had over the weekend. No notice, projectile vomit. It's been less than pleasant. Thankfully he's feeling better now. Get well soon.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-03-10, 12:21

Holy hell, that's a bug you've got. Maybe it's not that nasty to everybody but just didn't jive with your body or something like that?

The silver lining is that you weren't in a public setting when this happened.

I remember the Thanksgiving I heaved the load. It was just right after we said our prayer, and OMG, my mother was so pissed. I did manage to run to the kitchen before I dropped it but I imagine everybody can hear the sounds (I'm led to believe it's quite loud, no?). I did not come back to the table out of total embarrassment. It's even more odd since I ate nothing since the night before and I was very surprised that I even had anything to heave. Anyway, it kind of put on a sucky note for the everybody.
AWR
Veteran Member

2011-03-10, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oddly enough, as I'm sitting here right now, I've felt better than I have since Monday evening. Tuesday and yesterday were just an ugly, painful blur. I'm actually feeling better by the minute, it seems. I guess I ate something that didn't agree with me and was wreaking havoc, and it finally wanted out (or my body played club bouncer and tossed it out).

Whew. Not a good way to wake up, though. Kinda starts the day off on a weird, funky note.

As it was happening, the only thing running through my head was "you gotta be kidding me".

Wow, that's a long haul! Funky is right!

I sometimes wonder how I've never had food poisoning considering some of the suspect things I've eaten over the years. Lucky, I guess (I'll probably end up getting eaten by a shark. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Sounds like what my son had over the weekend. No notice, projectile vomit. It's been less than pleasant. Thankfully he's feeling better now. Get well soon.
I hope it was on the kitchen floor, or at a table, even a bed, and not in the car! Glad he's doing better.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
The silver lining is that you weren't in a public setting when this happened.
True. Probably the only time I've ever been genuinely grateful to wake up naked, alone. Last night would not have been the night to have a friend over. So I've got that going for me.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-10, 12:40

Sounds like you had a bad tuna sandwich from subway...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 12:44

The freaky thing is that I've not had one of those in about three or so weeks. But, oddly enough, I've been sitting here and that's the only thing I've been craving! The fish is calling my name...

Something tells me that might not be a smart idea.

But that I even have an appetite is probably a good sign, right? Yesterday everything sounded disgusting and I just had a barely-eaten sandwich for lunch and half a can of soup for dinner...light, simple and non-harsh. I could chow down on a 12" tuna right now, though.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-10, 12:47

Quote:
I hope it was on the kitchen floor, or at a table, even a bed, and not in the car! Glad he's doing better.
Kitchen floor. Living room floor (it came out of both ends during this particular episode. Poor kid.). And car. Ugh. His car seat to the brunt of it, though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 12:52

I hate seeing little kids sick like that. My nieces or nephews, or my friend's three-year-old son. Makes me sad, even just as "Uncle Paul" or a friend. Can't imagine how I'd feel if it was my kid and having to see that.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-03-10, 13:33

Poor 'scates. I'm glad you feel better now! I hate throwing up, although it's better once you've done it 'cause at least you don't feel as bad once it happened.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-10, 14:10

Well, food poisoning generally takes 24 hours or more to gestate, so you might look at what you had to eat the day prior to symptoms. Otherwise, you just got a case of the 24-hour flu and it wanted out…NOW!

Too bad my vomit smiley isn't around any more.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-03-10, 14:24

Someone projectile vomited on me from behind in a movie theatre. That was a great first date.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-10, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Ooh, sorry to hear about that, pscates - that sounds truly awful!

Hope it clears up fast!

I remember Bush Sr. tossing his cookies at a State dinner in Japan (edit: sitting next to the Prime Minister I think ) in the early 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo
As soon as I read the thread warning I was going to propose a No Image/No YouTube rule.

Presidential boking is worth an Official State Dinner exemption, though.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-10, 15:24

Quote:
Been feeling lousy the past 48 hours. Cramps, sweating, hands quivering, etc.

Menopause?

(Seriously, I hope you are doing better... sounds like food poisoning almost except that if it were I think you would've been visiting the toilet all night between sweats. The one time I had it I lost 10 lbs in one night and I will not describe it any further than that except to say... I was staying the weekend with my girlfriend and her parents, at their house. You'd think I would've been embarrassed since it was a small house and their bedroom and the guest bedroom shared a bathroom (old house), but I was so sick I was unable to give a damn about anything else. Plus it was their fault: they recommended we go to dinner at the favorite local Chinese place. They must've put a lot of MSG on that spoiled chicken. Bastards. )

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-03-10, 15:28

Over at Memebase.com they have a sub-site called After12 with some fairly disturbing vomit images. Though, I'm pretty sure all the involved persons were entirely guilty of their predicaments.

Out of courtesy there will be no linky.

Hope you are feeling better, pscates.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 15:29

Well I left the other stuff out because I assume it would be understood. Yeah, I've had a tough go of things from "both ends", as they say. Not been a good 18-36 hours (when the wheels fell off and things really took a turn).

Drinking water and Gatorade because I just feel so drained and wobbly.

The encouraging thing, I've noticed for the past 4-5 hours, is that there seems to be some pink/rosy "liveliness" back to my face. Yesterday and early this morning, I had the creepiest pale, grey/green tone to my face. It was horrible. Now I look somewhat "among the living" again. The difference was jarring...I'd never looked so ashen and "dead", and it kinda freaked me out when I looked in the mirror.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-10, 15:32

Quote:
Drinking water and Gatorade because I just feel so drained.
Probably the best medicine.

Initially it was hard to keep just that stuff down, but after taking mouse-sips for about two hours I think I was able to hold down some buttered toast or something. Then I went home and passed out.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-10, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Otherwise, you just got a case of the 24-hour flu and it wanted out…NOW!
No, no, no, no, no. The flu has no stomach/vomiting component. Contrary to popular believe the flu is strictly a respiratory / upper airways thing (plus all of the general signs of infections; fever, headache, etc). Any physician worth his salt will immediately eliminate flu when you tell him you've been vomiting.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-10, 15:48

What about stomach flu?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-03-10, 15:50

have any of that low-fat salmonella infected peanut butter?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-10, 15:55

No, but that was the first thing that crossed my mind. I saw that story the other day, and I think it was Skippy that got the recall? I'm a Peter Pan man, but I don't even have any of that around. Haven't had a peanut butter sandwich of any kind in probably 3-4 weeks? And when I did, it wasn't Skippy (or did that recall extend to others?)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-10, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
What about stomach flu?
That's a misnomer. It's not a flu.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-10, 17:07

Quote:
True. Probably the only time I've ever been genuinely grateful to wake up naked, alone. Last night would not have been the night to have a friend over. So I've got that going for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Someone projectile vomited on me from behind in a movie theatre. That was a great first date.
OK, so, since this is "the puke thread": Two of my friends — we'll call them "A" and "B", because "B" already dies of embarrassment whenever "A" brings this up — were on their first ever date. It goes well but "B" is pretty nervous and maybe has too much to drink (which always helps!). "A" gives "B" a ride home, but "B" suddenly feels dizzy and the stairs to his apartment seem insurmountable. "A" offers to help "B" up the stairs, but about halfway up the combination of his dizziness, the incline of the stairs, and leaning on "A" prove too much, and "B" vomits in "A"s hair.

He puked in his hair.

Somehow, "B" scores a second date. They are now married — I imagine after someone pukes in your hair on your first date together, married life holds few horrors.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong