Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Microsoft Outlook 2021 : Search Doesn't Work

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Microsoft Outlook 2021 : Search Doesn't Work
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 11:28

Moving an email account with messages reaching back 20 years was a real gripper for me, but I am now on Outlook 2021.

If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

My old database was imported and all those messages reside in a folder called "On My Computer", trapped in amber.

All of my now-active email accounts exist in their own folders in the sidebar.

Initially I could not get SEARCH to work.

"No Results" is all I would get.

Apple's instructions for forcing Spotlight to re-index the main profile.

Search is beginning to work.

Thankfully I did not have to resort to these Terminal commands:

Code:
sudo mdutil -Ea sudo mdutil -ai off sudo mdutil -ai on

Next, there is an even NEWER version of Outlook available!

All you have to do is flip a switch in the top right corner of the app. Some big improvements.

The problem is, it will NOT bring over my archived messages from the "On My Computer" folder.

Hoping that a future update will address that omission.

I wish that I could change the appearance of the app so I could visually differentiate between mailboxes.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2022-01-17 at 12:03.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 12:01

Okay, it's still not working properly.

From my readings I believe that there's a larger Spotlight issue at play involving both Big Sur and Monterrey.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-17, 12:12

What version is your Outlook? Mine shows 16.57....

It also says there isn't an update for me so I'm wondering if I'm already using the newest version.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
tonyadams
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2023-04-24, 02:10

How about rebuilding the search index? Go to File > Options > Search and click on the "Indexing Options" button. Click "Advanced" and then "Rebuild" to start rebuilding the search index. This may take some time depending on the size of your mailbox.
io games
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-04-24, 03:48

Do they use a different OS in Toledo?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-04-24, 17:03

You know prewdrops, you could have just shortened the title to "Microsoft Outlook 2021 : Doesn't work"

I keep hearing it'll get better any day now, but honest to god I have a much better experience with the OWA support in the browser.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-04-25, 03:10

Hm. I've been (again) using the Mac version of Outlook for years, and… it's fine? Some things are worse than Mail, some things are better.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-04-28, 12:37

As a stand-alone client, it's acceptable (although it has some very non-macOS UI choices that annoy), but when working in a MS-centric work environment it has so many fewer basic features than the Windows version of Outlook that it makes collaboration difficult, and IT support an utter fustercluck.

The OWA UI offers a better experience IMO, and as MS has stated that it will form the UI basis moving forward for all clients, consider using it (where possible) a sneak peek of what's coming down the pipe later this year.