Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Cleaning an Ethernet Port

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cleaning an Ethernet Port
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-04-27, 08:33

During my new build, painters carelessly sprayed over one of my PoE adapters for my doorbell. Is there any way to clean the connectors? I’ve taken a flat head screw driver and gently rubbed it over and that helped some. Would alcohol and a Q Tip help?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-27, 10:00

It really is going to be more dependent on the type of paint/stuff sprayed on the connector.

Assuming this is a RJ-45 female port, you could use a small razor and scrape down the contacts and clear off the material sprayed on them. The side that faces into the main cavity of the port is all that makes contact with the male end of the cable. If they REALLY covered the internal leads you might have to strip the sides of those contacts as well if they won't seat into the groves of the male plug.

I wouldn't use any solvent other than alcohol. Even then, I would do it so anything dripping out would go down and out of the port, not into the internal boards.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-04-30, 08:51

So just piggy backing off of this thread, I have some runs in my new house that are sending PoE but not data it appears. I bought a cable tester but haven't got around to doing it yet because I have to disconnect all my access points to get to the cables from the patch panel. After Googling a bit, sounds like issue might be that it was terminated incorrectly. Anyone else have any ideas or things to try?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-30, 13:14

Sounds like the cables got crossed when terminating them. This is actually somewhat common. The solution, cut off the end and do it again. Personally I make everything 568B though you can make them all 568A if you so choose. The key is each end has to be terminated the same no matter which you use.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-01, 05:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Sounds like the cables got crossed when terminating them. This is actually somewhat common. The solution, cut off the end and do it again. Personally I make everything 568B though you can make them all 568A if you so choose. The key is each end has to be terminated the same no matter which you use.
I posted a follow up over in the NAS thread. Having some weird issues, but getting some things cleared up. Needing some help over there.