AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Iphoto not up to the job?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Iphoto not up to the job?
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-06-24, 03:58

Hi Guys,

Last night I was trying to get 145 photos exported out of Iphoto onto a disk, I used the burn disk function and know that I had enough space on the disk for the photos, but Iphoto just kept on freezing.

I tried it with 60 photos, then 30 still the same result. In the end I did it in photoshop, extracted them and dropped them onto a disk.

Question is, why is iphoto struggling with basic functionality. I'm using a PB667 1gig ram and there is plenty of disk space - so there shouldn't be any resource issues. I even rebooted to see if that would help - nada.

I got the latest version in terms of updates and everything.

Is this normal has anyone else hit a wall?

The force is strong in this one
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-24, 09:59

What version of iPhoto are you using? I ran into this problem with either iPhoto 2 or 4, can't remember which. I think I just did it by dragging them to my desktop and burning them with Toast.
awilso

2005-06-24, 10:27

I'm using 5.02 - go figure! I'm sure its the most uptodate. I am also now using toast and its working. Just can't work out what the problem is - its a major part of the functionality and backup for photos.

W. Gallagher

2005-06-26, 05:17

Awilso,
iPhoto 4 and 5 under both Panther & Tiger have major problems. Especially if you do any editing to the photos. See the Apple support discussions under iPhoto. A lot of the old timers experienced w/iPhoto seem to have given up and are using alternates, waiting for Apple to fix the program/conflicts that quite often result in the program shreading their photos. Consider the mantra, Backup! Backup! Backup! before continuning and use an Adobe or iView or Graphic Converter or someother software for you photos until this gets resolved.
awilso

2005-06-26, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Gallagher
Awilso,
iPhoto 4 and 5 under both Panther & Tiger have major problems. Especially if you do any editing to the photos. See the Apple support discussions under iPhoto. A lot of the old timers experienced w/iPhoto seem to have given up and are using alternates, waiting for Apple to fix the program/conflicts that quite often result in the program shreading their photos. Consider the mantra, Backup! Backup! Backup! before continuning and use an Adobe or iView or Graphic Converter or someother software for you photos until this gets resolved.

Hey thanks for the advice - I hadn't quite appreciated the risk. Will move the photos over to Photoshop. (I do back up but I shall do a more thorough job outside iphoto based on your advice.)

Talking of shredding photos - I have noticed a ghosting effect within the dbase. Whe I tranfered over to Tiger I had to do a new install and when I carried over the Iphoto directory I suddenly found a dew hundred photos that had misteriously dissappeared when they were on Panther.

It's definately a sign - I shall take heed

hanyou23

2005-06-26, 23:58

I never really had any problems with iPhoto 4... it was quicker, smother, and nicer than 3... "Can handle up to 10,000 photos easily" with iPhoto 4 Steve said (or something like that). Since they've added all of those new, "wow" features to 5, iPhoto has bogged down my system, is super slow, and is buggy to boot ! 5.0.1 was an improvement over 5, but with over 8,500 photos, it really pi**es me off !!!...