onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-24, 17:03

Linky

Let the drooling commence.
flail

2005-08-24, 17:37

Wow, looks really exciting. I hope Apple does release Photo Pro, but PS CS3 sounds even better.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-24, 17:49

I like the idea of splitting the Photoshop line into two. Elements doesnt have the feature set that I use the most and I only scratch the surface with Photoshop (even though Im trying to learn more).

It will be interesting to see if this Apple Photo Pro comes to life and how it will compare to Photoshop.

And the graphics interface overhaul on photoshop will be interesting as well. I like it the way it is right now but some things could be a little clearer.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-24, 18:13

IF (and its a big IF) Apple does release this "Photo Pro", they'll sell the stuff so fast it'll leave burn marks on retailers! Of course, the final price will be an issue. If it hits the market at $299 or less, we won't be able to keep it on our shelves. An application for serious photographers that catalogs and provides an awesome set of easily used touch-up tools does not exist at any price. Elements is OK, but could be better and Photoshop is flat-out overkill for 99% of the planet!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-24, 18:15

If it does come out, I see less of a reason to get any more iLife upgrades. I think this was talked about before, but a prosumer line of i-apps would be killer.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-24, 19:01

Yeah, 3 lines would be good.

iLife for consumers
ProLife for prosumers
Pro for, well, Pros.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-24, 20:09

Rumors aside I wonder what will become of Elements. To me it has always felt a bit unpolished and really many of the same complexities in Photoshop are present within Elements. The main differences are the interface has been simplified and made very online help friendly, the warping features are gone and of course Curves, CMYK and CM are pretty much non-existent because most photo hobbyists have little need and no interest for those things.

Otherwise it's it's really pretty similar in how it works / the knowledge it requires. Selections, Adjustment Layers, Levels... all that stuff is the same.

...into the light of a dark black night.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-24, 20:17

You wouldnt happen to have any NDA-breaking news for us would you Moogs?

I dont really see Elements going anywhere. To me, the average computer user wouldnt think of using Photoshop (let alone paying for it). They seem to want a program like Elements or iPhoto where they can fix red eye, rotate their pictures and do the odd colour correction.

But I guess we will find out soon enough.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-24, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
You wouldnt happen to have any NDA-breaking news for us would you Moogs?

Sadly for you my friend, I don't break NDAs. As Mr. Macky says "Cheeldrin... breaking NDAs, i....iz bayad. HmmmKuy?"

I do however, break for lunch occasionally.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-08-24 at 22:15.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-25, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Yeah, 3 lines would be good.

iLife for consumers
ProLife for prosumers
Pro for, well, Pros.
Well, right now, Apple's "ProLife" line is called "Express."

As in:
iMovie
Final Cut Express
Final Cut Pro

However, FCE isn't really a "more pro" version of iMovie as much as it is a "less pro" version of FCP...but whatever.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-25, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
You wouldnt happen to have any NDA-breaking news
Moogs is Jobs, right?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-25, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Well, right now, Apple's "ProLife" line is called "Express."

As in:
iMovie
Final Cut Express
Final Cut Pro

However, FCE isn't really a "more pro" version of iMovie as much as it is a "less pro" version of FCP...but whatever.
Yeah, but "Express" doesn't cover much territory. There is no 'Photo Express', or 'GarageBand Express' or 'iTunes Express' or whatever. The 'Express' line covers what, 3 apps?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-08-25, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Yeah, but "Express" doesn't cover much territory. There is no 'Photo Express', or 'GarageBand Express' or 'iTunes Express' or whatever. The 'Express' line covers what, 3 apps?
There's no Photo Express because there is no Photo Pro yet. GarageBand Express is Logic Express. Tunes Express is the same thing, there is no Tunes Pro (how far can you go managing music anyway?).

So there's Logic Express (GarageBand), FinalCut Express (iMovie) and possibly Photo Express once Photo Pro comes out (iPhoto). I don't think there's a DVD Studio Express yet. I guess DVD Studio Pro is too cheap for that to be sensible.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-25, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Moogs is Jobs, right?

I'm definitely not Phil Schiller, let's put it that way...

One must ask oneself the philosophical question: if Steve Jobs breaks his NDA in the woods and there's nobody there to hear it, would Apple legal still find him?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mntnbkr83

2005-08-25, 21:07

I sure hope Photo pro is under 299...if it comes out, But I think it will if they have already made a box for it. But It wouldn't be worth 299 if it didn't have better editing features than iPhoto. I would need atleast a healing brush. I know that changing lenses outside really kills me in terms of dust on my CCD. And of course, maybe a new cataloging format that maybe windows users could access. Right now iPhoto backup is good, but I can't give it to somone with windows and still have my comments, titles, and ratings. BTW, what was Final cut express or final cut pro 2's price? was it 199 or 299? Maybe that was if you bought it with an apple CPU.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-26, 00:28

Final Cut Express has always been $299. Final Cut Pro has always been $999. I haven't heard of any discounts if purchased with an Apple computer, but that doesn't meant they haven't existed.

I'm just glad I get Apple software half off...I'm glad my mom works in education $299 is a great price for FCE (especially the latest version - with Soundtrack and Livetype!), but it's still steep for me (I'm celebrating getting $500 into my bank account today, and that doesn't even leave me with enough money to see a movie tomorrow).
Mntnbkr83

2005-08-28, 16:33

So if FCP Express is 299, do you think they could possibly charge 299? Especially if iView media pro is 199. I bet they will sell photo pro for 199, but I'm sure it will be more advanced in features, and also, as always, a better interface that clicks with photographers. 'Least it's what I'm hoping.