AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

itunes as a music service

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
itunes as a music service
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-09-27, 20:10

Im looking at itunes right now for a possible online music service. Im not looking to download individual .99 cent songs but rather albums as a whole. this would be allot easer than going out to the store. what do you guys think about this, are there any better programs out there? also, if i download off of itunes will i be able to take my songs to another computer (gaming pc that i built) and play them there?. if my hard-drive fails will i have to re-buy all of the songs?

thanks,
Louie

spell checking?!?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-27, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
what do you guys think about this, are there any better programs out there?
For actual (legal) song/album downloads, iTunes can't be beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
also, if i download off of itunes will i be able to take my songs to another computer (gaming pc that i built) and play them there?. if my hard-drive fails will i have to re-buy all of the songs?
Absolutely. You have a specific number of computers that can be authorized to play purchased iTunes songs; I think it's five. Anyhow, the best practice is to de-authorize a computer before giving it away, selling it, or reformatting it because otherwise it'll remain as one of your used authorizations. However, once per year you can wipe out the Apple's authorizations database for your account, essentially giving yourself all five authorizations back.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-09-27, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
For actual (legal) song/album downloads, iTunes can't be beat!
I agree - if one wants to be safe. There are what I would term to be "grey market" options (using this term out of it's usual context, but I think it makes the point), such as All Of MP3, which sort of seem to be legal, but almost assuredly are not --- at least not in the US, which I am using as the assumed point of reference.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-27, 22:35

For legally downloaded music iTunes and the iTMS are a winning combination (from my understanding *), so ditto what Brad and Engine Joe said.

* I can't tell for sure, b/c the greedy pigs in Oz have thwarted current attempts to get the iTMS downunder.