User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

External HDD how to use

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
External HDD how to use
csb

2006-04-06, 15:56

I have read a lot here about 1. cloning your hard drive to and external disk, 2. just loading the operating system on it 3. or just using it to back up.
What are the advantages to each?
Can the external hdd be partitioned half for back up and half with a clone or operating system (and if so how can this be done)
This is the first external hdd and I'm not familiar working with them I know my hdd on the computer is getting to the point where i needed this external. Just looking to make the best use of it.
Sorry if this has been asked before but as i look over old post i really couldn't find what i was looking for.
Thanks in advance for all your help and advice
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-06, 17:20

I'll answer 2, since it's the easiest

Booting from an external HD over firewire can be advantageous if you have a Mac Mini or a notebook, since external HDs are generally of the 3.5" variety and therefore faster (7200 RPM), with the added bonus that such HDs are cheaper per GiB and therefore provide a cheaper upgrade route than replacing the internal drive. (However, the external enclosure will obviously add to the cost.)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-04-06, 19:52

I would move large files that require lots of reads/writes to the drive over to your new Firewire drive first. This means video for most users. When I import video from my DV camcorder, the first thing I do is move the project folder to my external drive.

Yes, you can partition an external drive.

I use mine for video and as a backup. About once a week I copy the entire contents of my home folder to the FW drive. Since the external drive is 120gb, and my PowerBook's drive is only 40, this system works pretty well. So far, I've never needed to use the backup, but the peace of mind it offers is great, especially for notebook users. If you lose your computer, or it's stolen, all your data is still intact. Of course, it isn't secure anymore and you still are out a computer, but at least all your photos, songs, videos, documents, etc. are still at home.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-06, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Yes, you can partition an external drive.
The important question, though, is do you really want to?

Seriously. Give that a lot of thought before you start. Currently, you cannot resize or recombine partitions without buying additional software. Once you set your partitions, you should essentially think of them as if they're written in stone. Once you start filling them up, might there come time when you realize you incorrectly estimated how much each partition should have? This has been a problem for many users, myself included. That's why I mention it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-04-06, 20:05

The one advantage I could see to partitioning an external is if it's significantly larger than your internal - in which case I'd create a partion called "Clone" that is the same size as the internal drive.

That way, the remaining part of the drive stays useful for additional storage, and you can still clone your internal as a backup (I recommend SuperDuper).