User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple should name their products more accurately.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple should name their products more accurately.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-07-06, 00:23

It gets old having to describe a Mac ("iMac Rev. B 17" 2.0 Ghz") than simply naming it. I think Apple should rework their naming scheme to be more accurate. I'm not a fan of indecipheral product "codes" either (quick, tell me what a Sony DCH-220 is!) but I think Apple could use something.

I think that Apple should destinguish between revisions with a four-digit number. Put your guns down - I mean a year. Apple seems to be on an 8-10 month upgrade cycle or so, anyway - Apple would need to occaisionally have a "2007.5" model, for example, but I think that it'd still be a good replacement for the "Revision X" system Apple currently uses. It even fits well with Apple's largest expo - MWSF - being in January and all.

As far as the different models within a line, it'd be nice if Apple named them. I know, I know, right now we have "Good," "Better," and "Best" iMacs, etc., but nobody pays attention to them - Apple's retail stores don't even mention them. It'd be nice if the different models got actual names - not saying that Apple needs to put "iMac +" on the back of the computer, but somewhere other than Apple's website would be nice. Apple used to name the individual iMacs (see: iMac DV, iMac SE), so this would be just like that.

Instead of saying "iMac Rev. B 17" 2.0 Ghz," you could just say "2005 iMac +".

Easy, right?

Just a thought...
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-06, 01:01

AFAIK, Apple doesn't indicate revisions at all as names. I believe that's just a convention of forums, news, and rumor sites. The names are just "PowerBook" and are distinguished by the latest specs. Seems easy enough as it is already.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-07-06, 02:26

Apple do differentiate models by giving them names corresponding to technical or physical attributes: "Power Mac G4 Mirror Drive Doors" "Power Mac G4 FireWire 800" "Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet" and so forth. This is good in some respects but bad in some others. Apple doesn't communicate this name to customers so people often don't know what model they have. That's one problem..
This is a hard issue to solve.. "2007.5" is good in one way since one can pin point what generation a machine, but it doesn't say squat about the system and knowing Apple they won't tell the customers about the model number even if they could.