iPad Pro 2021

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad Pro 2021
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-26, 00:27

Oh my gosh.

I just got my 9 year old iPad back up and running and when I switched back over to my phone the transition was JARRING AS HECK.

That was weird.

I'm waiting to see if the OS will update after all this time... guess I need to track down the support timeline.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-11, 11:04

I had to post this, because

"Souped up, but only driving in a school zone"

This article flat nails the iPad Pro straight on the head. And I love the headline: "iPadOS 15 confirms Apple's M1-equipped iPad Pro is a V8 engine powering a Ford Pinto"

More

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-11, 15:22

I understand the notion in general (neither when introducing this iPad Pro a few weeks ago nor when introducing iPadOS 15 this week did Apple make a good case what all this horsepower is good for), buuuuuut I have to disagree with one bit:

"New buttons to invoke the same old multitasking system — an improvement, but not the overhaul needed"

No, it was exactly what was needed.

First, the multitasking gestures range from awkward to outright pah wraith incantations. How do you add an app to split view? Well, if it's in the dock, that's easy (assuming you know this is even a thing that can be done… oh, and for some apps, it can't!). If not, you can search for it in spotlight, and then the difficulty level is medium. Or you can (for some reason) go to the home screen, tap and hold an icon (but not long enough for it to go into wiggle mode!), then with another hand go back to the dock to the first app, and then keep dragging to the edge, and…

Second, it makes this so, so, so much more discoverable I can't even believe they didn't ship this until now (well, this fall). But I'm glad they finally came to their senses. Window widgets! What an amazing technology. You tap on it, and it's clear what you can do with it.

Lastly, I believe this new indicator also makes the focus a little easier to see?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-11, 15:46

Well, yes, but none of those things is iPad Pro specific. All updates to the iPad OS across the board.

What actually takes advantage of all the M1 goodness?

Besides nothing?

Granted, app developers get access to a common architecture, so their Mac and iPad Pro apps grow together more seamlessly (under the hood, anyhows), but … what does an 11" iPad Pro do that an iPad Air does not? Yeah, there's an extra camera in there, and LiDAR, but, um, so? And there's more RAM, but again, so? Are iPad workflows consuming that much RAM? I honestly don't know.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-11, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, yes, but none of those things is iPad Pro specific. All updates to the iPad OS across the board.
True, but… you’re kind of more likely to use those on a bigger screen.

But yeah, like I said. I think they need to make a better case for the Pro.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-11, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think they need to make a better case for the Pro.
For consumers, I really don't think there is a case for the iPad Pro at all. I'm sticking to my guns on this one: That the iPad Pro is and always has been a top secret tool used to sucker developers into writing day-1 code for the Ax (now Mx) Macs. Right under our noses, Apple solved the PowerPC/Intel software compatibility problem, i.e. late-to-the-game developers like MS and Adobe not having Intel binaries until 2+ years later. The M1 Macs had native code from the big players almost from day one. I believe that the iPad Pro made that possible.

chucker

2021-06-12, 04:11

Nah.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-12, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Nah.

JohnnyTheA

2022-01-01, 21:03

Hi folks,

I have not posted here in a long time but have some questions about the biggie Ipad.

I spent years and years using my various macbooks or macbook pros for home use. I work in software / software engineering and have multiple high end multi-monitor PCs at work. When I get home I like the simpler Apple interface. Lately, I have been using JUST an Ipad when at home. I play casual games, watch videos, go to websites, that sort of stuff. As long as I don’t have to type long paragraphs, it is excellent except for one annoying issue.

Apps will sometimes reset if you minimize them. Something as simple as being on a websiite and wanting to temporarily bring up a calculator app to calculate something I will need to input in a form on the website sometimes results in Safari resetting the session and forcing me to logon again when i go back to Safari. The same happens with other apps. Rebooting and keeping the number of open apps to a minimum help but it is clear that my base ipad 6th gen just does not handle multiple apps nearly as well as a real Mac, a real PC…. Have you guys had this issue?

Now, one other issue has crept up. I am 55 now and it is difficult to real things on the small ipad screen. I am thinking of getting the big 12.9 inch ipad to help. My question is: will the increased RAM and more processors in the 12.9 inch ipad pro help with my apps resetting? If so, i want to get one. Does the new one with the M1 processor make a difference? It lookslike Apple, right now, has not really taken advantage this chip in their ipads…

JTA…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-01, 22:09

Sounds like the biggest issue you have is RAM, which the iPad Pro would help with for sure.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-01, 22:35

Yes, the 12.9" iPad Pro should address those concerns. I'd go for refurb to same some bucks, but to each their own.

I have a 12.9" (3rd Gen) but it is more like the Air now. It only has one rear camera but I do have some apps that reset every now and then. Though this is also one of the older model iPad Pros.

Also, don't skimp with the 64GB version if it still exists. I hate that mine has so little storage for all I do on mine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2022-01-02, 05:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
I am 55 now and it is difficult to real things on the small ipad screen.
Try adding Text Size to Control Center. That’ll let you scale all text, and set that per-app or globally.