AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iChat is gonna get wack!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iChat is gonna get wack!!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-28, 16:30

i mean, that is just too cool...of course you losers have to start buying iSights damnit...currently i don't have one person to video chat with, let alone three...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 16:34

I was really hoping they'd have some announcement with PC support for iChat/iSight. The only other person I use my iSight with is my girlfriend. And I bought the damn iSight for her!

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-06-28, 16:58

When I read about the new iChat, I thought, "Oh dear, how are they going to implement that UI-wise. Three windows? Eww." Then I saw the screenshots. It's so obvious and Apple-like.

Speaking of which, I delayed purchasing a pair of iSights until today just in case a new revision would be debuted. Obviously that hasn't happened and at the Apple store the shipping date for the iSight says "same business day" but the date for the iSight accessory kit says "July." :/

Odd...

Screed

Last edited by sCreeD : 2004-06-28 at 17:03.
stoo

2004-06-28, 17:02

Doesn't it iChat AV work with Windows AIM?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoo
Doesn't it iChat AV work with Windows AIM?
It does, but Windows AIM sucks. I wouldn't wish it on any of my Windows friends.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 17:47

Quote:
Originally poested by sCreeD:
Obviously that hasn't happened and at the Apple store the shipping date for the iSight says "same business day" but the date for the iSight accessory kit says "July." :/
They are adding a magnetic mounting thing for the new displays, and they probably don't get those until July.
k squared

2004-06-28, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrein
I was really hoping they'd have some announcement with PC support for iChat/iSight. The only other person I use my iSight with is my girlfriend. And I bought the damn iSight for her!
The technology is based upon open standards; it's up to PC software developers to do it, not Apple.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-06-29, 00:15

More great iChat news: it may finally be getting multiple-protocol support with advanced settings!

Where did I get this?

Well, two things. First, the iChat icon is now missing the yellow AOL IM "running man" logo. Second, Tiger Server offers up this yummy new feature:
Quote:
You can now host your own iChat server. Instant Messaging serves as a vital means of communication for organizations of all sizes, so it’s useful to deploy and run your own private and secure IM server. Based on the open source Jabber project, the new iChat server in Tiger Server lets your company protect its internal communications by defining its own namespace, using SSL/TLS encryption to ensure privacy, and Kerboros for authorization. The iChat server works with both the iChat client in Mac OS X Tiger and popular open source clients available for Windows, Linux and even PDAs.
I've clamored about Jabber support since I first found those dozens of Jabber keywords in the iChat binary a year ago. I'm just a little disappointed it's taking this long to surface.

The big question is: will iChat offer up enough killer features to entice me away from the ever-improving Adium client? There is supposedly a GAIM developer getting video chat in the works...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-06-29, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
They are adding a magnetic mounting thing for the new displays, and they probably don't get those until July.
Yep, found this off to the side of one page:
Quote:
Magnetic Personality
To attach your iSight to the new displays, Apple now offers a magnetic mounting solution. This stand is available in new iSight boxes this summer, and included in the mounting kit accessory package.
--emphasis mine

Sneaky thing is they'll probably sell the "old" iSight boxes without telling anyone until the new boxes are stocked.

Screed
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
The technology is based upon open standards; it's up to PC software developers to do it, not Apple.
You misunderstand me. I want Apple to sell iChat AV and iSights for PC. Now that they have multi-user conferencing, it seems like an obvious move to pull in the traveling business users.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
More great iChat news: it may finally be getting multiple-protocol support with advanced settings!

Where did I get this?

Well, two things. First, the iChat icon is now missing the yellow AOL IM "running man" logo. Second, Tiger Server offers up this yummy new feature:

I've clamored about Jabber support since I first found those dozens of Jabber keywords in the iChat binary a year ago. I'm just a little disappointed it's taking this long to surface.

The big question is: will iChat offer up enough killer features to entice me away from the ever-improving Adium client? There is supposedly a GAIM developer getting video chat in the works...
Now this sounds cool. The only thing that's kept me from using Adium (and others) is their lack of video support. I dropped some change on two iSights and damned if I'll use a client that won't support them.

- Steve Jobs
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-29, 03:04

Did you see Danica in the WWDC iChat demo?
Very cute!

And iChat with H.264 is going to rock. I can't wait.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-06-29, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Did you see Danica in the WWDC iChat demo?
Very cute!

And iChat with H.264 is going to rock. I can't wait.
Jobs is weird. "Donika," "otomatically," "prohcessees?"

Hate to break it to you, but Danika doesn't come with the new iChat. On the other hand, the textured barrel of the iSight...
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Jobs is weird. "Donika," "otomatically," "prohcessees?"
Well, "proh-ses-seez" isn't too far off the mark, at least as far as one variant of pronounciation goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-29, 18:03

Best part of the keynote, Ms. C's appearance. A flirty little thing too...

I bet she gives Steve fits.

She seems smitten...
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-29, 20:33

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-06-29, 20:37

Phil was very funny. After Steve told him to drop off, he looked like this:
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-29, 21:25

Steve wanted some alone time with iBabe.
piwozniak

2004-06-30, 14:36

Heh, that's funny, since Phil was presenting core image/video, they must have some sort of room backstage simulating living room (bookcase with books, pictures, etc...)