Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Change Force Qiut keyboard Shortcut.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Change Force Qiut keyboard Shortcut.
mlramya

2006-02-02, 01:12

Hi,

I have a small doubt regarding Force quit.
1. When we press cmd+opt+Esc we get Force Quit Applications window.
Is Force Quit an application?
If its an application , it should show itself in Force Quit Window.
If its not an application , then what is it.
I searched on my system for Force quit, but I didnt find anything regarding that.

2. Can we change the shortcut key for Force Quit?
In SystemPreferences>Keyboard & Mouse, in Keyboard shortcuts tab I didnt find anything regarding Force qiut.

Last edited by mlramya : 2006-02-02 at 01:31.
trevo

2006-02-03, 09:50

I know some web pages refer to it as an application, why does it matter? I think it more of a dialog box....

You can't change the shortcut without a hack (not recommended) or maybe you can use developer tools (not sure on that one).
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-03, 13:30

The force quit dialog only shows applications that are visible in the dock, there are lots of other processes that are running on your computer at any one time. Take a look at activity monitor in the utilities folder and select "All processes" from the pulldown menu to see what I mean. I bet you can even see the force quit thread from there also if you initiate the command with that window open...

Why would you want to change the command for force quit?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
mlramya

2006-02-03, 23:10

Thank you for giving me your opinions.

As I worked on Microsoft Windows for more that 4 years , I feel comfortable using ctrl+Alt+Del.
So, I wanted to change the shortcut for ForceQuit to Cmd+Ctrl+Del (Which are on the same place as Ctrl+Alt+Del on Keyboard) .
[I feel that, my finger movement for Cmd+Ctrl+Del is easy than Cmd+Option+Esc]
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-02-04, 00:10

A follow-up quesstion: How often do you force quit applications where a different key combination would be helpful?
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-04, 00:25

How long can it take to learn a new keyboard shortcut?

And, if command-tab doesn't get you to a different application (leaving the hung app in the background), Exposé almost always works, at least if you have it set to one of the screen corners. Get to another app, then you can pull down the Apple menu with relative ease.

I also have a Dashboard widget called Utility Button. If Safari is choking on some Java-riddled website, I can fling my cursor to the upper left corner, invoke Dashboard, click on Utility Button, and open Activity Monitor to see what's going on. I can then force-quit anything from there.
mlramya

2006-02-04, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
How often do you force quit applications where a different key combination would be helpful?
What I said was, Iam comfortable using this key combination ctrl+cmd+del than cmd+opt+Esc.

I have another question, sorry if iam irritating.

Can we add another Menu-Item to SystemPreferences>Dashboard & Expose > Active Screen Corners ?
I mean when I move my mouse pointer to some screen corner, I want my Project folder(Which is for Example in: Deskotp>Projects>MyProject>AccountsProj ) to open.
Is this possible?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-04, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I also have a Dashboard widget called Utility Button. If Safari is choking on some Java-riddled website, I can fling my cursor to the upper left corner, invoke Dashboard, click on Utility Button, and open Activity Monitor to see what's going on. I can then force-quit anything from there.
I fail to see how that is any better than putting Activity Monitor in the Dock. Since Dashboard is a daughter process of Dock anyway, the "the Dock might be stalling" argument doesn't work either.

Care to explain?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-02-04, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I fail to see how that is any better than putting Activity Monitor in the Dock. Since Dashboard is a daughter process of Dock anyway, the "the Dock might be stalling" argument doesn't work either.

Care to explain?
Come to think of it, I don't think it's any better (nor is it any worse) -- it's just another way to get to it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-04, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Come to think of it, I don't think it's any better (nor is it any worse) -- it's just another way to get to it.
Well, it's worse in that it takes up more RAM and is slower to get to (though that may be negligible depending on your computer's specs).
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-02-04, 08:20

The force-quit dialog is owned by system, not by the active user.
It is a part of the loginwindow.app process.

You might (carefully!) want to dig around in it's plists to see if you can find anything related to the keyboard shortcut.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-02-04, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Well, it's worse in that it takes up more RAM and is slower to get to (though that may be negligible depending on your computer's specs).
Yeah, it's negligible -- just checked and saw that I have over 200 MB of RAM sitting idle even while Safari was hung up on tirerack.com. When that happens, I usually read the comics with the Wimic dashboard widget anyway.

But, anyway...

I'll say that I'm not comfortable pressing ctrl-alt-delete. Why? Because I didn't originally learn it, that's why.

mlramya, you had to learn ctrl-alt-delete in the first place. It'll be just as easy to learn cmd-opt-esc, which as far as I can tell is what you'll have to know, because I don't see a way to change it either.

I'm sure that there's some script or mini-app that can be written to activate a folder with a screen corner -- of course, one could have been written already, too. I wouldn't bother myself, though; I'd just park it in the Dock. That's what it's there for.
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-04, 10:42

cmd-opt-esc can be hit with only two fingers, a much easier shortcut that cntl-alt-del which at the very least needs three and two hands for some people...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)